What is death like?

• Re: What is death like?

It depends solely on the individual.

When my husband's grandfather died, he knew he was going to die, but he also lived 25 years longer than the doctors said he would. He had enough faith in his religion that he wasn't scared for himself, but he was worried about his wife and how she would get along without him.
      He was in a lot of pain but would refuse medication so he could keep a clear head while she was there. Eventually his wife told him that his one grandson who passed away 13 years ago was waiting for him and that he could let go, and he did. It was peaceful and he kind of did it on his own terms.

I work in a retirement/nursing home, and there's a lady who I'm pretty sure died sometime last night. She was terrified of death because she had to watch her husband suffer slowly and painfully two years before. She was moaning and had the death rattle with every breath and she was praying to god and praying for her family in her slightly more lucid moments. Other than that she was in lot's of pain for several months, but as of the last couple weeks, she's forgotten how to swallow so we can't even give her anything to manage her pain. Eventually last night she was so agitated and calling out for help and such that we had to use another resident's Ativan to calm her down because they just dissolve under the tongue.

Death is very rarely a good experience whether it's YOU dying or watching someone else die.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Shonna ().