What is death like?

• What is death like?

I have been thinking more and more about death lately. There was a death scene in a movie that I watched and normally this does not phase me, I have no problem with violence in movies, no matter how gruesome. But for some reason, it brought a realization on me.

I am going to die one day and there is nothing I can do about it. I will be laying in a bed (possibly) about to die, wondering if there is a heaven, where will I go, and then I will close my eyes, and die. It may happen like that, it may not, but the point is that it brough on a realization.

I had a mini panic attack in class with this epiphany. Obviously I knew I was going to die at some point, it is an inevitability. However, it has always been the back of my head, never coming out. It was me really thinking,"wow. There is no avoiding it. I am young now, but before I know it, I am going to be dead" that really had it hit home; and it scared the crap out of me.

I have to wonder what goes through the minds of the people on their death beds. They know they don't have long left on this earth, they know they might die within a few minutes. Is that person scared? Is that person thinking about an afterlife? Is that person not worried at all because he or she has total faith in her religion? Is that person looking back on all of his or her mistakes, triumphs, lovers, past friends, and family?

Does anyone else have any insight into death? Obviously we will never know what it is like until we are at that point, but I am curious to hear what other people think and to discuss. It has been in my head for the past week and I need to talk about it. Thanks!
    • Re: What is death like?

Your questions do not have a definite answer because it truly depends on the person itself. How old is the person when he dies? Is he dying from an illness and is he in a clear mind? Who is he surrounded by when he dies? Is he alone, or is his family by his side?

If a person has lived a long life, and he has brought up a family of your own, seen his children's successes, gone where he has dreamed about and accomplished all that he wants in his life, I believe that he will go with Death willingly and peacefully. Whereas, if a person has many regrets and there are many things he should have done while he was well and kicking, then he of course would struggle.

Unquestionably, religion does help a person accept death as it provides another outlook, that there's 'hope' on the other side.

Death, in my opinion, is merely the unconsciousness of the brain. The feeling is nothing more than being deeply asleep, because you don't know the feeling of being deeply asleep as well.

Lastly, this might be out of point, but the positive meaning of "YOLO" should be emphasising on the fact that you only have one chance to live, not that you should risk great dangers to try things because you only live life once. Who knows, it might be the last thing you ever do.
      "You use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like Heaven."

Wow lots of cynics. What I've heard is that when you're on your death bed, you wish you would have taken more chances, rather then playing it safe. "We regret the things we didn't do more then the things we did do." If you were on your death bed, would you really be thinking about where you would go after your last breath, or would you be thinking of everything you've done in your life, every time you had to choose between two things, did you choose the right one?
      And carpe diem.

Nick* wrote:

Wow lots of cynics. What I've heard is that when you're on your death bed, you wish you would have taken more chances, rather then playing it safe. "We regret the things we didn't do more then the things we did do." If you were on your death bed, would you really be thinking about where you would go after your last breath, or would you be thinking of everything you've done in your life, every time you had to choose between two things, did you choose the right one?
      And carpe diem.

Then people start to pray because they are about to die.
      "As in heaven as on Earth, we've been dead since our birth" -Hollywood Undead

You've asked probably the most troublesome question for mankind since he first looked at the sky.

Everyone's approach to death is different. I've seen people fight it without ever accepting it, I've seen some people accept it with sadness, and I've seen other people completely at peace with it perfectly content to say goodbye.

How much you regret in your life probably plays a big part of it, but it's always possible to heal regret, at least internally, until the last moment. If you feel like you've wronged someone, or someone's wronged you, there's always time to talk about it, even if all you can say is "I know you won't accept my apology, but I'm sorry."

My advice is simply, live. I've seen people go past their time and before their time, and I think they were both glad they got what they did out of life before they were taken away. I'm definitely trying my hardest to leave no regrets behind.

And by all means, talk about death with the people you trust. It's a pretty important part of life (no pun intended); there's no point in not talking about it. Know how you want to spend your last moments (if you're terminally ill, do you want to be at a hospital? If you get cancer, do you want to fight it with chemo/radiotherapy, or would you rather just have palliative care at a hospice and spend what time you have left in peace? Do you want to donate your organs? Be cremated? Buried? etc.).

Like anything else in life, if you're ready for it, it'll be much easier to deal with.

There are two ways death can go for any person:

"And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done.
      And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done.
      Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
      And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." --Revelation 20:12-15

OR...

"Then the angel [fn] showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb
      through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
      No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him.
      They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads.
      And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever." --revelation 22:1-5

YOU SEE...

All of us have rebebelled against God and because of this we have earned eternal punishment in hell for all of our evil deeds.

But because God is merciful, He has provided a way for us to be forgiven of our wrongdoing if we believe in Jesus's sacrifice on the cross. He took the sin of His people upon Himself and bore the wrath of God, giving His life for us. Three days later, He rose from the dead.

If you believe that Jesus sacrifice and resurrection cancelled your debt to God and made you holy before Him, then you do not have to fear death, for it will be spent in heaven forever where all wrongs will be made right, all suffering will be gone and we will be with God forever.

God calls you to choose before it is too late <3

death is an experiment that lives never known before, and in the end it leads to heaven or hell.

if you're a good man then you're going to heaven, if you're a bad one then you can sing it's too late to turn back now!
      Link(s) removed by staff member
      [size=1]A minimum of 50 posts is required before links (excluding TeenHut.net) may be posted in signatures. Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines to prevent further action(s).[/size]

If you read sura 28:16 of the Qu'uran, it separates between people who have lived their lives in gratitude to God for the gift of life and the promise of eternal life, being ready to suffer for His sake during their lives, and people who have taken the gift of life and the blessings of God for their own benefit, without being ready to give back to Him or do His work, however difficult it may be. The first category receive the reward of eternal life, and the second receive eternal punishment.

Similar themes across two related religions, but different in some senses. Just another look at it.

Death is the only thing that is guaranteed in life, its one of the universal things everyone will get to experience. Now that's been said, death really isn't important life is what really matters. How many years you live doesn't matter, its how you lived those years. So while death is something completely unimportant in the way that everyone gets to do it, what matters is what you do in life! So instead of worry about what its going to be like when your dead have fun and enjoy life.

Personally death scares the living crap out of me and has reduced me to a few times (oh yeah im a guy) But I try to think I am also young and medicine is making better advances than ever before and maybe there is hope that humans can one day live forever.

I am a deeply religious person (christian) but I have a friend who is an atheist and he helps me see that death could be a good thing as if you have had a troubled hard life it is a eternal peace and serenity, but for me personally I look around and think one day everthing I have seen and thought and experienced will one day be gone and I will be put in the ground and the earth will keep on spinning and it is a truly terrifying thought.

But I try to live life and the way I deal is to simply ignore it and try and focus on what life has to offer, when my time comes will I be ready? can anyone ever be ready I dont know but I try to focus on the good there is which is hard for me as I am a AVPD suffferer but anyways thats my 2 cents

The post was edited 1 time, last by rushed ().