I can't stand this apartment any longer!!!

• I can't stand this apartment any longer!!!

When we first moved in we had a HORRIBLE cockroach infestation. We told the office and it took a month to a month and a half to get them killed off (they did get an exterminator in my apartment when we requested it). That was just the beginning... Our closet doors have broken for no reason (easy fix, they came off the tracks but continue to do so), we got LOCKED out of our apartment because something happened to our dead bolt and had to wait for an hour out in 15 degree weather for someone to show up just so they could break our molding on our door. Occasionally we will see a silverfish running around, for anyone that doesn't know what that is please google it, they are so gross! The pressure in my bathroom sucked so we had someone come it, it was fixed for about a week. I went in my closet and pulled on the light (I have an ENORMOUS walk in closet) and the pull came out of the light, it had to be completely replaced. Now, to top it all off, our washer got plugged and water went ALL OVER my floor!

It's one thing after another and I've had enough!!!

My boyfriend and I live together and we pay $625 for rent. I have two cats and that's an extra $40 a month (it's already added in to the $625), our utilities are nearly $200 a month and we just pay for electric! Our apartment complex has two pools and that's nice but we have a dirty old laundry facility and we spend over $20 each time we do laundry. Our neighbors are loud too.

I work at a mall as a sales associate and I work at a grocery/pharmacy store down the street. I'm looking for a night job to add to my stress but I can't afford to live right now. Our electric is WAY too high and we cut back as much as we can!

Is there any way we can legally break our contract? We have about 8 months left on it and I just don't know if I can take it anymore or if we can survive on how much we make. Lately I've been thinking about how I just want to kill myself so I won't have the stress anymore and won't have to worry about it any longer... Please help.
    • Re: I can't stand this apartment any longer!!!

Probably not, unless you want to buy yourselves out of the lease. You need to take your problems up with a higher power if possible. If not, then I suggest you go to the landlord and let him know you're going to take legal action against him for failing to fulfill his duties properly. Write down a list of things that need to be done or changed in the apartment and sit down with him.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling

Check all Federal Laws, State Statues, Local Ordinances, Safety and Housing Codes for your area, and record anything that doesn't match up with the conditions in your apartment. Also, as Linda said, write down the issues you have with the apartment and be sure that everything complies with your lease, which you should read very thoroughly.

If talking to your landlord get you nowhere, again as Linda said, and your landlord has violated his contract contact a local attorney.
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]Fuck -- The measure of something I do not give.[/SIZE]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/LEFT]

I am in a smiliar situation
      My apartment is horrible. I live in a closet literally my apartment used to be the storage closets. like it makes me wonder how it is even legal to rent out a closet to someone
      my landlord is a shitty landlord... he is never around.. he owns 40 other buildings etc
      it took us 2 months to get our front door fixed because it came off the frame
      he charges us 685 which i think is total bullshit
      we have shitty plumbing. fire hazards. my place is always cold... i have half a shower literally. we are working on getting our lease broke before its up in august. how far do you have to go before your is up. bascially if your landlord is being lazy on his part you can get healthy and safety involved and they can issue a move for you... or even shut down the place you live in and then you can go find somewhere else
      but before making the ultimate choice make sure you research everything
      get background info from other tenents
      would hate to see you in the same situation again
      and if your landlord still doesn't comply as long as healthy and safety has been involved give your landlord 60 days notice writing in notice and leave.
      thats what we plan on doing
      anyways good luck
      [FONT="Tahoma"]Keep Calm And Love Minions <3[/FONT]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Linda wrote:

Probably not, unless you want to buy yourselves out of the lease. You need to take your problems up with a higher power if possible. If not, then I suggest you go to the landlord and let him know you're going to take legal action against him for failing to fulfill his duties properly. Write down a list of things that need to be done or changed in the apartment and sit down with him.

NO NO. DO NOT TELL HIM YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE LEGAL ACTIONS. RECORD EVERYTHING YOU ARE ASKING FROM HIM, LIKE STUFF A LANDLORD DOES. YOUR BEST WEAPON IS TO RECORD AND CALL 311 EVERY TIME YOU REQUEST STUFF.