Depersonalization Causes Anxiety?

• Depersonalization Causes Anxiety?

Hey guys,

I know this is a weird topic to cover but it's a teens forum so what the hell. I was just wondering if anyone out there suffers from depersonalization or derealization?

It's a hellish state of mind, where you're in control of everything but your perception of the world is changed.

You're constantly questioning yourselves and your introspective. Everything looks like a movie

I've lived with this for a long time and I'm 17. Just wondering if anyone out there is dealing with the same issue and can provide some insight. IT really is a bad way to live life.

Anyway, thanks for reading! I never knew this place existed.
    • Re: Depersonalization Causes Anxiety?

I haven't suffered from it personally, but when I was at school there were quite a few people in different age groups who did.
      [CENTER]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="Black"]When the city sleeps, I'm wide awake.
      You know what I see? High rises. Low lifes.
      Bright lights and back alleys.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[/CENTER]

I've had problems with derealization for years. Only recently have I learned to overcome it.

There are different reasons why it develops, but basically it's a numbing of our responses to reality. Everything is more hazy and it's harder to get moved or anxious about what happens around you. Often, people who are highly stressed or are going through a form of crisis will use this as a defense.

In my case, I was going through an existential crisis (meaning of life, why I'm here, what the point is, etc.) and I just couldn't engage with reality because these questions haunted me. I was in the world physically, but didn't feel like I was of it.

erthal2 wrote:

I've had problems with derealization for years. Only recently have I learned to overcome it.

There are different reasons why it develops, but basically it's a numbing of our responses to reality. Everything is more hazy and it's harder to get moved or anxious about what happens around you. Often, people who are highly stressed or are going through a form of crisis will use this as a defense.

In my case, I was going through an existential crisis (meaning of life, why I'm here, what the point is, etc.) and I just couldn't engage with reality because these questions haunted me. I was in the world physically, but didn't feel like I was of it.

omg me too!
      I don't know why but this past year I've been really questioning life and like how weird it is, which I think may have been a very strong factor. Also, I suffered through a bit of depression throughout 2013, I was a graduating senior ready to go to college, I felt alone most of the time and didn't have a social life.
      I think being at college is definitely helping me! I'm not bored and alone, I'm usually hanging with friends or going out, and I don't really have time to think about life and whatnot :b