Apprehensive about college.

• Apprehensive about college.

I got accepted into an animal college which I start in September (which I'm really happy about seeing as there are only 66 places out of 120+ applicants) but I'll be going after a year out from education and my brain is literally dead. I'm nervous about starting because it's from complete freedom to strict environments, deadlines and stress. I did the first year of sixth form and I found it extremely hard and although I had a couple passes, they weren't the best results and I completely failed Biology which is a huge part in this animal course (but the teacher was an unhelpful bitch). If I found it hard straight after leaving high school, then I can't imagine how hard it'll be after a year out. :( Not only do I have to do this course, but I have to re-do my Maths GCSE seeing as I was ill on the second exam, do welsh bacc again, and do work experience. It's going to be going from nothing to full on. There's also going to be presentations which I cannot stand.
      My mum told me about this girl who did so well, she got a scholarship at the end. But she said she found it hard. :( So if a girl who does so well that she gets a scholarship found it hard, then I'm going to find it hell. ;( I will try my hardest but I don't think my hardest is good enough for this course. I'm skipping level 1 & 2 and going straight into a level 3 diploma too.
      I'm just really worried. :confused: I got so stressed in sixth form that I developed anxiety attacks and heart problems. I hope this year off leaves me with a fresh, open mind to crack on with it for 2 years, rather than have a negative impact on it. :(
      [CENTER]Ask me a question[/CENTER]

la rubia loca wrote:

what is prolapse?
      is it like pro life?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hann. ().

• Re: Apprehensive about college.

The first thing I would tell you is to not listen to what everyone else is saying. I'm in this English class right now, and there's a girl who's in a sorority for good grades (3.5+ for 2 or 3 straight semesters are the requirements) she's struggling with this English class, constantly complains about it, etc. However, I find it particularly easy and have 100% in it. Everyone learns things at their own pace and their own way, just because she thought it was hard doesn't necessarily mean that you will too. I understand it's intimidating, but for something like this, you need to think positive and tell yourself that you'll be fine.

If you're struggling, even a little bit, utilize tutoring options. That's one thing I highly regret not doing previously and I still kick myself over it. Don't have the mindset of "oh, well we'll just pass this section so I'll try really hard on the next section" or something like that. Everything builds, if you need help, ask for it.

You got in to this program for a reason, they believe you're capable. They wouldn't have accepted you if they thought you couldn't do well and benefit from it. Is there a way you can ease yourself in to the course load by maybe taking a class or two over the summer, or getting some work experience over the summer? Maybe don't skip level 1 or 2? Everyone is nervous about college, but once you get in to the swing of things you get used to it and it because not to intimidating. Organization is key, ALWAYS have some sort of pocket calendar with you and write down when your assignments are due. Make sure your binders are organized and you have all the necessary supplies. After your first few weeks of college you fall in to a pattern and a schedule, things will work out.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling

Fuck, I just lost my huge response. -_-
      Start again..

I hope so. I was pretty organised in sixth form because I know how much shit you get. But I find things easy when I enjoy them so I hope I enjoy most of the topics.

I'll write about the levels in list form because I can't be bothered rewriting the huge paragraph. -_-
      Level 1 - 6 month course - Very basic and doesn't teach you much about theory and you go on pointless camping trips. (My friend did it.)
      Level 2 - 3 years - equivalent to a few GCSE's which is pointless when I have 11 already.
      Level 3 - 2 years - equivalent to 4 A levels - Highly respected by jobs and Uni's. Also when I was looking into it, they told me to do level 3 due to my qualifications.

la rubia loca wrote:

what is prolapse?
      is it like pro life?

Linda wrote:

However, I find it particularly easy and have 100% in it.

Your school must be a joke if you can get 100% in an English course. No one should ever get perfect on an essay, there's always things that can be improved...

And you should study something that you love. If you like it, you shouldn't get stressed about it, regardless of how much the workload is. Why? Because you love learning about it. If you want to go to the animal college and you truly think you'll enjoy it, go for it. If not, don't waste your time. You're going to be doing this career for the rest of your life, so you may as well enjoy it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mark ().

Firstly, just take it in your stride, pay attention and don't miss lectures. Once you miss one, they become increasingly easy to decide to skip.
      If you get given homework, later on that day or when you're next able to do so, even if you don't do the actual work, plan or at least think about how you're going to do it. People say it all the time but seriously, leaving shit to the last minute is not good, do the work when you still remember the work relating to it. Think you will be able to do it next week or the week after? Yeh you will, but not as well.

Are you doing a BTEC?

Best Friend wrote:

Your school must be a joke if you can get 100% in an English course. No one should ever get perfect on an essay, there's always things that can be improved..

The way my teacher grades it is on criteria since they're personal essays. We have to have certain punctuation, a word limit, and a certain style. As long as we meet the criteria, we get credit. He lets us know what we need to improve on within each paper and expects them to gradually get better. We also get graded on annotating 2 books we were assigned to read. So, as long as we do the work and meet all the criteria, we get credit.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling

As long as you take it seriously you should be fine. Bio classes are no joke. My gf is a pre-med major and she has all the bio and chem classes and yes they're hell. But if that's what you want to do then it shouldn't be as hard because you're working for something that you want. It will be a lot of work but you need to treat it like a full time job. Go to class, pay attention, do ALL assignments and study and I don't see why you cannot do it. It will be a tough transition but that's life. It's only a matter of time before you're used to everything.

Linda wrote:

The way my teacher grades it is on criteria since they're personal essays. We have to have certain punctuation, a word limit, and a certain style. As long as we meet the criteria, we get credit. He lets us know what we need to improve on within each paper and expects them to gradually get better. We also get graded on annotating 2 books we were assigned to read. So, as long as we do the work and meet all the criteria, we get credit.

I've always hated English courses just because they've lowered my average every time. I hate not having an exact guideline of what they're looking for, or that the teacher just disagrees with your writing style so you get a worse mark than you thought you deserved.

But then again I'm a science nerd, so what can I say haha.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

MikeNY wrote:

As long as you take it seriously you should be fine. Bio classes are no joke. My gf is a pre-med major and she has all the bio and chem classes and yes they're hell. But if that's what you want to do then it shouldn't be as hard because you're working for something that you want. It will be a lot of work but you need to treat it like a full time job. Go to class, pay attention, do ALL assignments and study and I don't see why you cannot do it. It will be a tough transition but that's life. It's only a matter of time before you're used to everything.

I personally find Bio to be the easiest. Definitely the most boring out of them all, but the concepts aren't that hard to grasp.

Chem on the other hand can be interesting (in the lab and stuff) but the theories and stuff are also quite dull and boring. And they're fairly hard to grasp. However, I remember Hann saying she liked the sciences, so I personally think you won't find them that bad. Just don't fall behind in chem. Bio you can slack a little.

Best Friend wrote:

I've always hated English courses just because they've lowered my average every time. I hate not having an exact guideline of what they're looking for, or that the teacher just disagrees with your writing style so you get a worse mark than you thought you deserved.

But then again I'm a science nerd, so what can I say haha.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

I personally find Bio to be the easiest. Definitely the most boring out of them all, but the concepts aren't that hard to grasp.

Chem on the other hand can be interesting (in the lab and stuff) but the theories and stuff are also quite dull and boring. And they're fairly hard to grasp. However, I remember Hann saying she liked the sciences, so I personally think you won't find them that bad. Just don't fall behind in chem. Bio you can slack a little.

That's true. She doesn't have a problem with bio really. It was chem that was the most annoying come to think of it. Either way it's a lot of work and not everyone can handle it.

Best Friend wrote:

Haha, I'm the opposite. I've always loved English because I love not having a set answer to everything and just getting my thoughts out. I'm a Biology major though, so guess I better get used to everything I hate :p

-J.K. Rowling

Duck wrote:

Firstly, just take it in your stride, pay attention and don't miss lectures. Once you miss one, they become increasingly easy to decide to skip.
      If you get given homework, later on that day or when you're next able to do so, even if you don't do the actual work, plan or at least think about how you're going to do it. People say it all the time but seriously, leaving shit to the last minute is not good, do the work when you still remember the work relating to it. Think you will be able to do it next week or the week after? Yeh you will, but not as well.

Are you doing a BTEC?

That's true and yes. The good thing is that there's no exam at the end so I think I'll work twice as hard on any assignments seeing as they go towards my grade. I should be able to focus on it more rather than worrying about remembering it all and revising.

MikeNY wrote:

Thankyou =3

best friend wrote:

I enjoyed Science before I did it in A level and I was pretty good at it when I worked hard. But bio at A level is a whole new level. However, biology A level is all about everything in Biology, whereas in this animal college, they probably will just focus on animal science (I think they said they would) so they may miss out some of the pointless shit in bio.

I was opposite. I HATED Bio with every fiber of my being. And Chem came particularly easy for me... So like Linda stated earlier... every person is different. What is hard for one person can be easy for another. Just always do your best, stay on top of assignments and don't skip classes. You'll be golden.

aha thankyou! =3 I wanna be golden! :cool: I don't intend on skipping classes but this college is strict anyway and if you miss a day or class, you have to have an exceptional reason like breaking your foot for missing it. Same for missing deadlines.

Linda wrote:

I've always loved English because I love not having a set answer to everything and just getting my thoughts out.

I loved English too. Found it easy and was really good in it. :)

la rubia loca wrote:

what is prolapse?
      is it like pro life?
    • The main is organize time properly. I combine work and study today. I do not always have the time to attend lectures or doing homework, but I try to keep up with everything. In fact, I sometimes resort to outside help. My friend helps me sometimes with homework or I address a special service, if I don't have time to write a review on a book essay-no-plagiarism.com/book-review/ . To me it's very helpful.