Vegetarian?

• Re: Vegetarian?

Musicaddicted wrote:

I'm a vegetarian, but i've only been doing it for about a month now. It's going well, but annoying as all heck in fast food restaurants.

Ewww, why would you want to eat at a fast food restaurant? :p

I've been a vegetarian for over a year now, and I was a pesco-vegetarian for longer before then (only ate fish/crustaceans) :) I would have started earlier but my parents assumed that I would keel over dead from lack of nutrients >.>

But ya, I love being a vegetarian :) Especially since it helps you avoid fatty food/fast food restaurants because they are rarely if ever vegetarian xD

apollo-might wrote:

I'm a vegan

It's not that bad, I just can't really eat out.
      I cannot image myself ever eating meat again (and going back to eggs/milk/cheese would be really rough, I think) It's just you feel SO MUCH healthier, so much better. You don't have all that awful animal stuff in your body. No hate.

I'm vegetarian but I must point out that many animal products are good for you, even the flesh. It should be an ethical choice, not a health choice (unless a doctor suggests).

Of course it's going to be unhealthy if you are eating excessive amounts of fatty flesh, or a lot of fish with heavy metals... but if you moderate the good kinds of animal products (and remove the ones loaded with fat aka fast food red meats) then you can live a healthy life.

The same goes with vegetarians/vegans, if you don't eat in moderation and perhaps just focus on broccoli you're going to be very unhealthy. Vegetarians/vegans often tend to appear healthier because it is much easier to have a variety of plant-based meals, whereas carnivorous meals tend to be redundant.

Overall though, unless you originally ate unreasonable amounts of horribly fatty meats, the only reason you are feeling "so much healthier" is because you have an inflated ego. :rolleyes: Sorry.

Skellington wrote:

Sorry, I love steak too much. Kobe beef can cure any amount of hunger :o

Just curious, what are your major sources of protein when you eat vegetarian? Eating a ton of nuts could do it but that brings in a ton of extra fats, it seems imbalanced to me.

Vegetarians can get proteins from tofu (or other soy products), as well as eggs and dairy products (assuming they are not vegans). Nuts (and seeds) have lots of proteins too, but yes they have fat. But you need fat in your diet, and vegetables and fruits don't have many fats so we get most of our fats from nuts and seeds. Also, they contain good fats (I believe poly-unsaturated and mono-unsaturated... but I forget the specifics exactly) whereas meats have saturated fats which are bad for your body in large amounts (and the typical North American consumes more than recommended amounts of meat).
      Remember there is protein in most types of food, so we get small amounts from all the veggies we eat as well - we're just not going to have enough from them to pack on huge amounts of muscle :rolleyes: which I think most of us our fine with.

I've been an active vegetarian for about a year now, very happy I made the choice. I lost a bit of weight in the beginning(went from 190 to 170 @ 6'3) due to mostly going straight off meat. Don't regret it, I'm healthier for it. I mostly went for ethical reasons. I chose not to nourish my body with abuse, death and fear.

Vegetarianism gets a bad rep however because many approach the lifestyle in the wrong fashion or for the wrong reasoning. Some view it as a cheap and fast way to lose weight which it really isn't. You can still be a very unhealthy vegetarian and gain weight actually by changing over.

Others view it as a fad that with the whole "Go Green!" thing being shoved down our throat that they are on a peak of a new trend which irks me cause it drags on the morons and some that preach it down others throats. I don't want vegetarianism to become the next Jahovah's Witness oneliner of "they come when you're eating dinner". Vegetarianism is a personal choice, never a public one.

I may move one day to being full vegan (currently Lacto/Ovo due to family rules I can't get around) but not until I can make sure I do it properly.

Though vegetarian debates are always lulz, especially against christians using the "god put animals on earth to eat them" method.

The post was edited 1 time, last by leviathan ().