Should I quit or stay?

• Should I quit or stay?

I am a 19 year old college student. Like any college student, I could use the extra money, so I got a job. It's a local fast food joint. I started back in November as a cook, and have been there about 8 months.

Here are the major pros. It's incredibly flexible. I can have six days a week, and close to overtime, or when I am in school I can have two or three days. I can pretty much name my hours. I make a decent amount in the summer time, since I'm not in school. The owner, and my boss, loves me. I am a very hard worker, and never call off, and I am never late. I also like working there.

The cons: The people. I am a sensitive dude, and I've never been used to people always talking crap about one another. Some of the people in there just don't like me, for no reason. Or they pretend to like me to my face, and talk crap. I hate working in that environment. I have a few friends there, but one quit, and the other ones are kinda sketchy towards me. Like they only talk to me if there little click is not working the same shift, All the trash talk is what gets to me. I can't work somewhere where I feel everyone hates me.

The thing is though, I haven't been the nicest person either. I used to never talk about anyone before I started working there, now I not only talk about co workers from time to time, but people I don't even work with, I am not very patient when it comes to training new people, and tend to snap and yell. When there is a rush, I feel like I suck because of the people around me. I hate how I snap and yell at everyone.

I know how to do everything in the kitchen, but I still make these really stupid mistakes, Even after eight months. Whether it be not putting bacon on that burger,or forgetting to put something on the grill. I hate how I make these mistakes, when I shouldn't. I really try not too, but always do.

Should I stay, or leave?
    • Re: Should I quit or stay?

Here are my thoughts:

- You're ALWAYS going to have a work environment like that. Doesn't matter where you work, there will always be someone who doesn't like, someone who gossips, a fake person, etc. That's just the way people are, and that's just the way work is. I wouldn't really make this a deciding factor considering you're going to encounter this issue no matter where you go. My best suggestion would be to ignore them, or try to make them your friends. Kill them with kindness, just be the best/nicest person you can be and ignore the rest.
      - Everyone makes mistakes, it happens. There's really no need to beat yourself up over it. Unless you've gotten talked to about it, then just keep doing what you're doing and try to focus more. Maybe double check everything just for piece of mind.
      - Having a job where you can essentially pick your hours and your higher ups love you says a lot, and that's definitely not a job I would leave if I were you.
      -IF you do decide to leave, make sure you have another job lined up before you quit your current one. Make sure to give two weeks notice and leave d.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling
    • Re: Should I quit or stay?

People will always talk about people no matter where you go, especially in fast food and retail.

Try your best to control you anger. Its not beneficial to yell at the employees you work with. For one, its only going to escalate the situation, and they're more likely to retaliate. Reason number two is that it isn't very professional. If a higher standing were to see you screaming at the person next to you, it'll seem like you can't handle the situation or environment.

Mess-ups happen...A LOT. I cooked pizzas for 5 years, and I still made mistakes every day. Its very common in fast food being that the customer wants it right then and there, and after 100 tickets, your brain sort of jumbles them together.

If or co-workers don't seem to like you, don't bother with them. Crack a joke every now and then just to let them know you're still cool with them, but don't give them the impression that you're there strictly to socialize. [This is the answer I hope you're looking for, but personally, I was raised to say,'If they don't like me for any particular reason, I'll give them a reason.' Haha.]

The flexibility and job security that you have is great, and being that you're holding a job while completing college is outstanding. This is all a part of the experience of working a job and realizing that this isn't what you want to do for the rest of you life: dealing with childish individuals with gang-mentality.

[I ramble a lot]
    • I am working to be one of the best in a store, The manager likes me and the co-manager likes me. I am the best of the all to know where every single item is in storage and on shelf. I am the best of any to know where anything is as I put it there originally or direct its origin. ( with exceptions ) Few co-workers like me as I am too perfect and some HATE me as I accidentally show them their fault. I never mean it that way but they have their way. The manager knows my value and the co-manager is a drunk but agrees. One day, the co-manager complains about an item, on sale, no one can find except that the night manager finds. Well, he finds it, what is the problem ? The Regional Manager complains about this item that no one can be finding as it needs to be finding. The item is where exactly as I put it. My day off. Their eyes fail them ... But I am put at fault. Please understand ... The Regional Manager hates me. WHY ? He likes others who hate me and he hates the manager. DUH.. BYE BYE GO AWAY. I say FUCK YOU ALL and I go away.

I am a self making person. But there are realities for others. DO NOT DO AS I DO. Make sure you get along with others, SOMEHOW, and make sure you get along with others with those up above SOMEHOW. I am always a go &F them all ... do not do that !!!! I am an out of the normal and am still alive. I have suffered more than others and I am happy to have F*d the others and still be alive. I am not a mere alive thing. I am happy to survive. Shrivels F and more than that to them.

BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT !!! You want to succeed in another way than mine. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ? DO NOT DO MY political way but do it socially ... and politically also but DO IT NOT MY WAY !