Drunk Father Issues

• Drunk Father Issues

I need a little advice on how to handle the level of violence my dad brings when he gets shit faced. Almost every night nowadays he is coming home to immediately drink to get drunk. I would at least be able to accept that if my father was even tempered when drunk, but lately he has been lashing out at me and my brother. Mainly me of coarse, for sticking around. But he is more than just beginning to scare me, he is terrifying! Tonight he was throwing our only electronics around and shattered our laptop, then when I tried to stop him from breaking anything else he chased me up the stairs with a homemade torch! What should I do? I love my dad but things are getting way out of hand.
      But I'm not close to perfect. I'm not close to sane. I'm not the one to worship. And I'm not the one to blame.
    • Re: Drunk Father Issues

I have attempted to talk to my dad but he doesnt believe me, and the last time I talked to a school councillor they threatened to involve CPS so I stopped searching for answers there. But I see what you two are saying. Thank you for your advice.
      But I'm not close to perfect. I'm not close to sane. I'm not the one to worship. And I'm not the one to blame.

Have a serious talk about it and give him the evidence (electronics). Maybe mention that he should attend Alcohols Anonymous (AA). If he still does not listen, then I would follow through with your counselor. It will be worth it in the end if he does not change soon. My father was the same and I usually found somewhere else to sleep, I regret not doing something about it.

~EmoCuttingAngel~ wrote:

I have attempted to talk to my dad but he doesnt believe me, and the last time I talked to a school councillor they threatened to involve CPS so I stopped searching for answers there. But I see what you two are saying. Thank you for your advice.

They always do that
      I see you found some diamonds, now give them to me

My advice is kind of a Frankenstein of all the other stuff people have said. The next time your dad loses it, record him until he calms down. Don't let him see the camera. When he's sober, show him the video and anything he destroyed as proof that he's crazy when he's drunk. Try to have a talk with him, tell him how you feel when he's drunk and violent. Gently suggest he go to AA meetings, and if he gets angry and/or refuses, talk to your mom and your counselor about it. As a last resort, I would recommend calling CPS.
      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]Life's a thousand yesterdays to learn from, a thousand tomorrows to plan for, and one today to be the best you can be.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]