Teenage gamer may go to prison for 8 years because of a joke on a game

• Teenage gamer may go to prison for 8 years because of a joke on a game

A Texas teenager who has been in jail since March faces an eight-year prison sentence because of a threatening joke he made while playing an online video game.

In February, Justin Carter was playing “League of Legends” — an online, multiplayer fantasy game — when another player wrote a comment calling him insane. Carter’s response, which he now deeply regrets, was intended as joke.

“He replied ‘Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,’ and the next two lines were lol and jk,” said Jack Carter, Justin’s father, in a statement to a local news channel.

The statements “lol” and “jk” — meaning “laughing out loud” and “just kidding” — indicate that Justin’s statement was entirely sarcastic, said his father.

But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address, determined that it was near an elementary school, and called the police. Carter was arrested one month later, and has been in jail ever since. He recently celebrated his 19th birthday behind bars.

Authorities charged him with making a terrorist threat. If convicted, he will face eight years in prison.

“These people are serious. They really want my son to go away to jail for a sarcastic comment that he made,” said the elder Carter.

Authorities noted that recent school shootings like the one in Newtown, Connecticut have caused them to evaluate all potential threats seriously. Newtown was still fresh in their minds at the time of Carter’s arrest.

“In light of recent situations, statements such as the one Justin made are taken seriously,” said an Austin police detective in a statement.

"Carter’s father said his son didn’t follow the news at all.

“Justin was the kind of kid who didn’t read the newspaper,” said Jack Carter. “He didn’t watch television. He wasn’t aware of current events. These kids, they don’t realize what they’re doing. They don’t understand the implications. They don’t understand.”

Carter’s parents have launched a change.org petition to convince Texas Attorney General Greg Abbot to release their son.

“Release Justin Carter from jail,” the petition reads. “Too many teenagers are being arrested, jailed and having their lives forever altered because of anti-terrorism laws and investigations that impede their 1st Amendment right to freedom of speech.”

A hearing to review Carter’s case is scheduled for July 1."

Original article: Texas teen makes violent joke during video game, is jailed | The Daily Caller

This blows my mind, he godnondeju used sarcasm, HE EVEN POINTED IT OUT! It just blows my mind that he gets more punishment than someone doing a normal crime (Stealing and breaking in are examples). Looks like sarcasm is becoming illegal, and it even doesn't make sense! Here's a video about someone discussing about this and seemingly more angry than I am.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc_4XpbK72o]Teenage Gamer May Go to Prison for 8 Years for Violent Joke on League of Legends - YouTube[/ame]

What is your opinion on this?
      Opgekankert, jij!

Sometimes, you gotta put them deuces up.
    • Re: Teenage gamer may go to prison for 8 years because of a joke on a game

Good on the police IMO.

People are completely retarded on online games to begin with, but that's besides the point.
      If it was a serious threat and the police did nothing about the report beforehand, they would then be just as much the bad guys as the kid in the public's eye, yet if they respond seriously to a sarcastic threat, they're the bad guys anyway?

Doesn't work that way, sorry.
      Kid shouldn't have been a tard, as if shooting up a school is ever the good basis for a joke.
      I hope he enjoys prison.
      June 26 2010<3

Shonna wrote:

Good on the police IMO.

People are completely retarded on online games to begin with, but that's besides the point.
      If it was a serious threat and the police did nothing about the report beforehand, they would then be just as much the bad guys as the kid in the public's eye, yet if they respond seriously to a sarcastic threat, they're the bad guys anyway?

Doesn't work that way, sorry.
      Kid shouldn't have been a tard, as if shooting up a school is ever the good basis for a joke.
      I hope he enjoys prison.

Have you heard the kind of things people say on minecraft multiplayer
      I see you found some diamonds, now give them to me

Has this kid been living under a rock? How could he not know about what happened in Connecticut? So what he doesn't read the paper or watch TV I'm sure he must've heard about it from someone, that's all I heard for weeks after...
      At any rate, despite what happened he was clearly joking
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Heard about this on the Philly D show~ :p To be honest I don't think he should go to prison. That's a bit drastic. However, he really should watch what he's saying next time. Saying jk after something doesn't make it okay. That's like saying if you say something really mean or bully someone but just say it's a joke or you're just kidding. Not cool people not cool. Just don't send the kid to jail. Teach him the powerful impact of words because the pen is mightier than the sword.

Honestly, saying something like this in real life is one thing (you can actually "feel" what they're saying), but online nobody has any way of knowing if you're serious or not. Therefore, I would have to say that he would have to face whatever punishment is handed his way (which shouldn't be maximum sentence).