Over Protective Dad!

• Over Protective Dad!

Hello.

I'm 18, I have a job, paying my own expenses & am starting to take care of myself, and starting University in the winter. I've been in this relationship for a year now. Anyways, I really want to fly out to see my long distance boyfriend who lives in the US. (I'm in Canada). My mom is totally cool with it, but it's my dad who gets the last word.

I've saved money, I've done my research about airlines, the city, etc and I know I am responsible enough.

But I haven't asked or told my dad yet. I don't want him to know that I'm seeing a boy, or have a boyfriend. I'm Middle Eastern and middle eastern dad's are wayyy overprotective of their daughters. He can't seem to let go and give me my own space to do things I enjoy. To have experiences, go out and have fun. He even sometimes does that to my brother, and he's almost 22. He still sees me as a little kid, and I know that I'm not. He won't let me do anything, not even go out with friends past a certain time, and If I do he will flip out and blow up my phone. My mom understands and supports me, but it's just my dad. Any advice on how to ask him/convince him to let me go, without him knowing I'm seeing a boy.

This is something I really want, and I'm paying my own way and doing this because it'll make ME happy. If he can't accept that, then I don't have a dad.
    • Re: Over Protective Dad!

Say you're going because of some great job opportunity, then pretend you got fired or quit.

Make sure to act like it's better than your current job.
      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]Life's a thousand yesterdays to learn from, a thousand tomorrows to plan for, and one today to be the best you can be.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

The post was edited 1 time, last by TheGirlyEmo ().

• Re: Over Protective Dad!

To be honest, if I were you, I wouldn't tell my parents why am I going. But since you told your mother, fuck that, it can't happen.

Not sure what to say. But if your father is usually controlling and against what makes you happy, I'd try to get away and stay.

In this situation, there's not much you can do since you already told your mother the truth.

If it wasn't so, you could have lied to them but took a friend along plus told someone you trust so you can get help if you need it.

But now... I don't know, not much to be done. But if you go, DO NOT go alone.
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]He holds me in his big arms
      Drunk and I am seeing stars
      This is all I think of
      [/SIZE]

[/CENTER]