flight to egypt from usa

• flight to egypt from usa

i need anyones advice who as experience travelling.

I plan to visit a friend this summer who lives in egypt. I am going in secret since i know my parents would not approve (but i am 20 years old so it doesnt really matter) but i plan on bringing a friend. If money is a problem i may end up flying alone so i need tips to make sure everything goes smoothly. I have no experience flying overseas or even flying in general. What do i need to get into the country? Do i need a copy of my birth certificate and social security card? Would i be able to apply for a VISA at the airport? What all do i NEED and how much money should i have on hand. My friend plans to meet me at the airport. What paperwork/ documents do i need to make sure i have? I have no idea.

Please help
    • Re: flight to egypt from usa

It’s been a while since you posted your questions, but I thought I’d answer just in case. Here is a web site that will be helpful to you.

Egypt

You will need to get a passport from your local post office. It takes several weeks to get so you’ll want to do this soon.

Are you traveling to Egypt to meet a female or male friend? How did you meet this person and how long have you known him/her?

Are you aware of the terrorist threats in Egypt and the laws?

Where will you be staying when you go there? If your friend is of he opposite sex, you cannot legally stay with them as this is punishable by prison.

How much do you know about Egypt? You really do need to learn some about their laws as many things that we take for granted in the USA are illegal there. For example under Egyptian law small amounts of any illegal drug can result in a long prison term, or life, with hard labor. Fornication (premarital sex) is punishable by a 6 month prison sentence with hard labor. Adultery is punishable by 15 years of hard labor for a woman and 6 months for men.

You will need to dress modestly, no belly button showing, no short skirts, etc when you are there. I don’t think that you need to wear cover as many Muslim women do, but modest clothing will prevent a lot of harassment.

Religion is another issue when traveling to countries that are basically Islamic as Egypt is. Their laws state that people are allowed freedom of beliefs. This is different from freedom of religion. More and more they are following the Islamic Shari’ah law. People are punished for blasphemy, for discussing any religion besides Islam with Muslims, and other such things. There is a Christian population in Egypt. Most are of the Coptic sect. Under most circumstances it is best to avoid any discussion of religion.

Here is another site that has some reports by people who have traveled there.

Egypt Warnings or Dangers - Travel Guide - VirtualTourist.com