my mom spoils me and i allow it (i know I'm fucked up)

• my mom spoils me and i allow it (i know I'm fucked up)

hey guys this took a lot for me to say , even though its online, so my dad died when i was 4 , ever since then I've been spoiled rotten , i had no idea , she shielded me , protected me got me anything i wanted and when i turned 18 the world hit me hard, i saw how my friends parents were etc and they're are nothing like my mother. I'm 21 she still buys me anything i want. I think its because she's guilty about my dads death and she still spoils me. she says my happiness is her happiness but I'm not happy. about 75% of the money is gone , I'm just finding out which worries me and i need to go to college and my mom says she will work just to pay my rent. i allow this to happen but its so hard to stop , i almost feel like i need to leave for awhile so i can learn the real world and pay for my own but that will hurt my mom. i know this is such a 1st world problem but i need feed back.
    • Re: my mom spoils me and i allow it (i know I'm fucked up)

How old are you? I assume old enough to legally work? Start there. Depending upon where you're at in life right now, I would suggest work for the summer and continue that job for as long as you can. If you're about to go to university, I would suggest consulting with the financial aid counselors at the school(s) you're looking at. It's great that your mom wants to help you, but being co-dependent on her is going to be hella hard when you're at university. You don't need to completely abandon her, but she needs to understand that you need to gain some independence. Go to university, try to pay as much as your own way as possible, and work.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling

The post was edited 1 time, last by Linda ().