Default 2 Story Garage / Steel Building

• Default 2 Story Garage / Steel Building

Anyone on here have equipment on a 2nd floor or have a 2 story garage or steel building at home as a gym? How much could a second floor of a steel building support? My fiance wants our garage back, and theres enough room in our back yard for a 20 x 24 foot building. I figure if Im gonna put something back there, go big! Any info and/or pics of your setup/examples is greatly appreciated.
    • ClaudDKLyons wrote:

Anyone on here have equipment on a 2nd floor or have a 2 story garage or steel building at home as a gym? How much could a second floor of a steel building support? My fiance wants our garage back, and theres enough room in our back yard for a 20 x 24 foot building. I figure if Im gonna put something back there, go big! Any info and/or pics of your setup/examples is greatly appreciated.
      If you are going to be using weights and they're connected to a machine, its vertical drop will cause enormous structural stress to an upper floor. Unless beneath the floor has been built a reinforced steel girder. Judging by the size of your building, a massive 20 x 24, its upper floor should be cross-braced and the only way to acertain this is to ask for a chartered surveyor to check it out.

Safety is paramount and you have a personal liability to ensure the users of the gym will be safe. Also, the integrity of the building be safe. I would strongly suggest you site the gym downstairs. Hoever, consulting a structural surveyor will cost, but not a lot considering it will be an internal survey. They will add VAT on top of their service, but it's best to be completely on the safe side and only a licenced professional can give the advice you seek.

ETA, the ground floor should be of concrete construction. If it's floorboards again, you may have to get a surveyor's report. And that's just the genral I give out to anyone.

I have a gym, but its ground floor only. Alas no pictures tonight, I'm about to leave for France.

Good luck

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.