Time to give up?

• Time to give up?

Long story here. I'm in college, early 20s, never had a relationship/gf.

I met this girl in one of my classes last year around October/November. I've decided to kinda go with the long chase because nothing worth it comes easy.

Anyway, I asked this girl if she wanted to grab lunch without really talking or getting to know her much. It was definitely a little presumptuous of me--we had interacted in class just a few times and talked outside class less than that. She said yeah & gave me her #, but flaked when I tried to arrange a time/date. Shocker, I know.

Anyway, we continued to talk a little as the semester went on and we ended up in another class together this last semester. I didn't ask her out a second time because she had rejected it previously.

She started opening up a little bit. For the first few months I always had to initiate everything, but as the semester moved on, she did send a handful of texts and snapchats or came up to me in person to say hi. It wasn't much and I still have to do most of the heavy-lifting, but she was putting in at least a little effort, which I guess was good.

Anyway, summer rolls around and we live in different states about 3 hours apart so hanging out isn't much of an option. I've tried to keep the texting to a minimum because I don't want to come off as clingy or desperate. Since May, I've texted her every 4-6 weeks so I think we've texted maybe 2 or 3 times this summer. She doesn't initiate, but she always responds and her replies and pretty lengthy. I'm talking multiple sentence paragraphs. We talk about our careers, drinking, religion, etc. So it could be good, but I could also be deep in the friendzone.

I live in NYC and told her if she's ever here, I expect a text to which she replied she definitely would let me know. Obviously actions and words are very different so we'll see.

When we go back to school, I'm having this get-together with friends where my roommate and I cook a ton of stuff. I invited her a while back and she said she'll make time.

I just got a job maybe 30-45 minutes from her area, so I could try setting something up. Or I could just wait another 3 weeks until we move back into school. It's been a little over a month since we last texted although we do send each other the occasional snapchat.

My gut tells me she's not interested because 1) she flaked on hanging out when we first met and 2) she rarely initiates, but I have the mindset that if I work hard at something, I see better results which is probably why I've worked at it for so long.

We know each other considerably better now which could work both for and against me. I'm guessing I should just wait til I can actually see her and gauge her interest.

Ugh. Thoughts?
    • Re: Time to give up?

Joshski wrote:

I just got a job maybe 30-45 minutes from her area, so I could try setting something up. Or I could just wait another 3 weeks until we move back into school?

I'd take the job AND wait the 3 weeks and some impromptu time casually mention that you have a job near where she lives and kept meaning to get in touch, but just didn't have the time but was thinking of her

Go from there

But head wrote:

I'd take the job AND wait the 3 weeks and some impromptu time casually mention that you have a job near where she lives and kept meaning to get in touch, but just didn't have the time but was thinking of her

Go from there

Thanks for the help!

I absolutely took the job. Career over everything.

She knows I took the job, but I don't think she knows where it is. It's a little weird because I'm not entirely sure where she lives--she always says "it's in the middle of nowhere" or "this random place." The only reason I have a little idea is because of Facebook so it might be a little weird to say I'm working close to her.

I think I'll just wait the 3 weeks like you said and physically see her.

Joshski wrote:

I met this girl in one of my classes last year around October/November. I've decided to kinda go with the long chase because nothing worth it comes easy.

Anyway, I asked this girl if she wanted to grab lunch without really talking or getting to know her much. It was definitely a little presumptuous of me--we had interacted in class just a few times and talked outside class less than that. She said yeah & gave me her #, but flaked when I tried to arrange a time/date. Shocker, I know.

Anyway, we continued to talk a little as the semester went on and we ended up in another class together this last semester. I didn't ask her out a second time because she had rejected it previously.

She started opening up a little bit. For the first few months I always had to initiate everything, but as the semester moved on, she did send a handful of texts and snapchats or came up to me in person to say hi. It wasn't much and I still have to do most of the heavy-lifting, but she was putting in at least a little effort, which I guess was good.

Anyway, summer rolls around and we live in different states about 3 hours apart so hanging out isn't much of an option. I've tried to keep the texting to a minimum because I don't want to come off as clingy or desperate. Since May, I've texted her every 4-6 weeks so I think we've texted maybe 2 or 3 times this summer. She doesn't initiate, but she always responds and her replies and pretty lengthy. I'm talking multiple sentence paragraphs. We talk about our careers, drinking, religion, etc. So it could be good, but I could also be deep in the friendzone.

I live in NYC and told her if she's ever here, I expect a text to which she replied she definitely would let me know. Obviously actions and words are very different so we'll see.

When we go back to school, I'm having this get-together with friends where my roommate and I cook a ton of stuff. I invited her a while back and she said she'll make time.

I just got a job maybe 30-45 minutes from her area, so I could try setting something up. Or I could just wait another 3 weeks until we move back into school. It's been a little over a month since we last texted although we do send each other the occasional snapchat.

My gut tells me she's not interested because 1) she flaked on hanging out when we first met and 2) she rarely initiates, but I have the mindset that if I work hard at something, I see better results which is probably why I've worked at it for so long.

We know each other considerably better now which could work both for and against me. I'm guessing I should just wait til I can actually see her and gauge her interest.

Ugh. Thoughts?

Hi Joshski :)

This girls behaviour towards you is obviously confusing you - you clearly don't know what to think about how she does or doesn't feel.

I'd say, just grow a pair and straight out ask her - ask her if there could be more than friendship there - what do you have to lose?

x
    • Leigh wrote:

Joshski wrote:

Ugh. Thoughts?
      Hi Joshski :)

This girls behaviour towards you is obviously confusing you - you clearly don't know what to think about how she does or doesn't feel.

I'd say, just grow a pair and straight out ask her - ask her if there could be more than friendship there - what do you have to lose?

x
      I second this view. Just ask her out.

On a side note, you NEVER work too hard on a girl. You meet her, you hang out and you ask her out. If she says no, you move on, if she says yes, it is time to plan : )
    • i think she is just playing you mate, i had the same problem and in the end i found out from her best friend just told me she was playing a game and wasn't really interested in me despite me putting in my 100%. Nevertheless I still think you ask her out, girls hate being asked out on text (i learnt that the hard way) and if she says no, move on because you can find better people out there... ;)
      ----------------------

Jase
      :)