Rights, Responsibility, and Age

• Rights, Responsibility, and Age

So the way I see it is like this, kids came drive a car when they are about 16 in most states, buy tobacco at 18, along with voting, buying a rifle, being a legal adult, able to be drafted, and able to be convicted as an adult. But they we are not able to purchase alcohol until we are 21, I believe in all states

So I see this as a conflict where as we are graduated into having or able to do certain things based upon age, which is fine, makes sense. But at 18, you become a legal adult and you accept all the rights and responsibilities of being an adult, but you can't have a beer.

So should we change some of these laws so that all rights and responsibilities are aligned with the legal age of adulthood?
      If yes, which laws?
      If no? Who or why not?

The post was edited 1 time, last by But head: Spelling ().

• But head wrote:

So the way I see it is like this, kids came drive a car when they are about 16 in most states, buy tobacco at 18, along with voting, buying a rifle, being a legal adult, able to be drafted, and able to be convicted as an adult. But they we are not able to purchase alcohol until we are 21, I believe in all states

So I see this as a conflict where as we are graduated into having or able to do certain things based upon age, which is fine, makes sense. But at 18, you become a legal adult and you accept all the rights and responsibilities of being an adult, but you can't have a beer.

So should we change some of these laws so that all rights and responsibilities are aligned with the legal age of adulthood?
      If yes, which laws?
      If no? Who or why not?
      Yes this is weird. If we are adult by 18 then legal drinking age should be 18 too.
    • James_martiin wrote:

Just read about rifles in your post can you plz share some more information about your rifles, I just want to know more .
      I actually have several, or I should say we have several in my family. They are used for target shooting and hunting. I own a .22 semi automatic for target 12 gauge shotgun for bird hunting and a 30/30 for deer hunting. Other family members own others.

Kejru wrote:

But head wrote:

If yes, which laws?
      If no? Who or why not?
      Yes this is weird. If we are adult by 18 then legal drinking age should be 18 too.
      you would think that, but it's not. I feel as though if you have adult responsibilities and obligations, then you should also have adult benefits.
    • I give my daughter responsibilities when she can prove to me that she is going to act in an adult way. Recently she proved otherwise by bullying one of my family's younger ones, so as her mother I came down hard to impose the seriousness of her actions upon her. If any of you want to be responsible at home and where you live, then you have to prove it to your parents and be decent citizens in your community and be kind to those in your family. I believe it is the parents' responibility to raise their children so at the age that seems right, therefore be expected to maintain their responsibilities and act decently. Only what is so frustrating is the country in which one lives in often has laws that impose restrictions and in the UK, this applies to drinking.

There always has been underage drinking in the UK, and young people are getting into trouble, though its their parents that get the stick from the civil authorities. What annoys me is in the UK if you are under 18, you can't vote in the General Election. This annoys young people because these days they are far more politically aware and have stronger opinions than, say, 20 years ago.

I am glad, however, that the possession of firearms in the UK is a criminal offence and under 18's is an offence to carry a knife. These laws were laid down by the British Government for everyone's safety. I obviously can't comment about the US.

Young people in the UK can marry at 16 only with parental consent, but the other person must be 18 or older. I can't see how a pair of married 16 year olds could possibly manage financially in the UK because the minimum wage sucks and everything including rents is expensive. And 16 year olds don't have Life Experience enough to cope with everyday living, so look up to their parents for guidance.

In Greece the minimum age to drink is 18, but most night club owners turn a blind eye so they can get drinks as young as 16, and nobody imposes the law. Even the police turn a blind eye and I think this is wrong.

Some say the legal driving age in the UK should be lowered to that of the US and Canada. But what puts people off from driving even at 18 is the hideous costs of car insurance. Up to the age of 24 it's very expensive. Some parents can't afford to pay their kids' car insurance.

That's my 2 cents' worth. :P

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.

The post was edited 1 time, last by AccessDenied ().