The Thrill of Skiing!

• The Thrill of Skiing!

Why do you love winter? / What about winter do you love? To answer the first, until I started learning skiing as a sport, I disliked winter intensely. And I found learning quite fun for being under an experienced instructor who also was a Peak Leader, so everthing I did was safe. Skiing doesn't have to be expensive. At first you join a ski club, or find a learning centre online. You hire skis, ski clothes, helmet, boots etc, but the clubs or the group you are with will supply you everything.

That's how I started, just seven years ago. Skiing has made a huge difference to my confidence and general outlook on life. Of course I experience fear just before launching off a peak our helicopter has dropped us on, but once launching off, that fear goes to be replaced by an adrenaline rush second to none! I love skiing fast on empty slopes. It brings a smile to my face and still makes me feel like a 18 year old which was when this great sport for me all began. Skiing on a powder stretch that no-one else has been on is thrilling! When heli skiing I never think about work and the stresses are left far behind along with any unhappiness. I also found skiing great for exercise, though being diabetic I had to tank up on extra food as 6 hours' worth of skiing can burn up to 3,000 calories. I always packed extra grub and some glucose tablets as a standby.

The art of skiing is to keep yourself steady on the slippery slope. To help balance yourself, you naturally engage your core stability muscles - the sheath of deep muscle that starts either side of your spine and runs around your body, ending up in your pelvic region. Mastering your core stability will also help you balance on the piste and improve your overall coordination. Skiing also is great for cardiovascular fitness.

I've been to Canada, been to the Zermattski resort that's open all year round, to Chamonix in France and no matter where, what country you visit, the friendship and comaraderie never changes.

Heli-skiing is an activity of downhill skiing / snowboarding which takes place in untouched snow, on remote mountainsides, away from the groomed slopes of a ski resort. What separates heli-skiing from other types of freeriding and backcountry skiing is that skiers and snowboarders are flown by helicopter to the top of these remote slopes. Using a helicopter allows the skier or snowboarder to quickly reach stunning heights and spectacular slopes otherwise difficult to access. Heli-skiing is a truly unique experience: it combines the magical sensation of getting a bird’s-eye view of the mountain world, and the thrill of gliding through powder snow, down pristine slopes may-be never skied before. This is why heli-skiing has become a popular thrill-seeking adventure, attracting more skiers and snowboarders every year, from first-timers to expert free-riders.

Thanks to its successful development, heli-skiing as a more adventurous variant of skiing is becoming increasingly popular among skiers and snowboarders, from experienced free-riders to off-piste first timers.

Winter fans are constantly encouraged to push further their skiing/snowboarding adventure; convenient infrastructure at ski resorts giving access to off-piste skiing areas constant exploration of new slopes revealing attractive descents, availability of high-tech safety gear for skiing in the backcountry, increasing number of travel agents specializing in adventurous holidays… are among the major factors.

Heli-skiing stands out because of the incredible freedom and convenience it gives - in remote areas- for moving from one summit to the next, and for providing a large choice of pristine slopes and powder runs.

Furthermore, heli-skiing is practiced in selected places, carefully chosen by professional and highly skilled guides leading the groups and striving to minimize the risks associated with this activity. This allows skiers/snowboarders to enjoy the natural environment -and the infinite joy of heli-skiing- with a feeling of safety, regardless of the degree of mountain experience and snowpack knowledge they may have.

I went recently, but though the heli skiing was terrific and our meeting our ski club friends again was wonderful, I had to cut short the skiing since I aggravated the injuries my ex caused, and got me in a lot of pain. After some 9 hours of skiing (which was enough in itself anyway!), instead I went paragliding round the lower parts of the Zermatt ski resort. It was simply beautiful! I come home with my daughter and family feeling real good.

Let's leave you with this terrific video CMH Heli-Skiing "ASCENSION" 2013. Somewhere in the vid I was there, having the time of my life! :D

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.
    • After Boxing Day this Christmas I won't be on the forum, for Nikky and I are flying out to Canada to be with our heli skiing buddies we have missed so long since our previous good times with them. The last few weeks in-between sickness, unwellness and a great deal of melancholy I've been doing gym, getting myself back into condition again and I'm pretty fit despite the ravages of what these bastardizing cancer cells have been wreaking. I am what many in my family say, a tough bitch. Unrelenting, determined to get rid of this illness once and for all.

Somebody asked in a private message here what are my skis? I have two pairs. Zai for Bentley and Nezzas (also Zai), but more for ice and Nikky my daughter uses Spadas, 174cm. She's excellent. We ski every opportunity and can't wait to return to get stoked at Revelstoke, at Monashees and onto Alaska with our ski and snowboarding buddies.

This extreme ski compilation is way good, only I don't do "ski parkour". That's for only those who specialize in it. But come 26 mins 05 seconds onwards - now that's what I am into!

Forever falling

After Boxing Day I don't know when I'll be back on the forum.

• Erm, @B'ni Dhana

Much as I am deeply moved by your accolade and honour of what I am or have been, I don't think people reading this should expect much from me. I have failings, bad failings and could disappoint people in leading them to think more highly of me than they should. Though I believe in myself and capabilities, I still fail and miserably so. I am not and never will be some kind of hero, but reasons I am still here is to help others, only for how much longer this will be, I don't know.

Anyway, I do thank you and Hugs. :)