My mom's causing my depression

• My mom's causing my depression

One question,

Should a mother scream and swear at her child? Especially over trivial matters.

For a recent example, I went downstairs into the kitchen to get a tylenol for my headache. It was about 1:11 am in the morning but I couldn't sleep with the pain. My sister was up playing video games downstairs so I spoke a little to her, too loudly apparently.
      Because suddenly I heard my mom storm out of her room and shouting my name, then she literally screamed at me get the fuck to bed you shit, I guess I snapped back at her a little by saying fucking hell seriously? I have a damn headache and my stomach was hurting (like usual, I have bad stomach problems) I can't remember every word she said but she starting screaming Fuck you and you fucking bastard woke me up, get the hell to bed, and continuous fuck you's (And I mean really screaming, it was scary). Then I was on the verge of tears but just stood there, then I heard her slam her door and shouting stuff like fucking cunt, asshole, Bitch and what not.
      She called me a fucking cunt like 3 times.

I don't think a mother should act like that but I suppose I'm in the wrong...I can't understand why she never talks like that to my older sister who stays up usually to 4 am, and mentally abuses my mom every day.
      But this is probably why I have depression and anxiety, I'm 17 already but this has been going on since I was about 12, maybe 11.
      Is this okay? I know it's not but I just don't know what to do about it. And this happens so often I'm just used to crying and go about my day and wait for the next argument. I'm mostly worried on how this is going to affect me in the long run.
    • Don't take this shit. This kind of stuff makes me angry, no one deserves this kind of treatment. Is she always like this ? Are you telling every part of the story? If she is really this abusive most of the time I think you need to find a way out of that house for your own good. Life is hard, but you're in control friend, at the very least you can ignore her and keep doing your thing until you move out, life gets better.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. :thumbup:
    • Your mother might be experiencing stuff you don't know. Stuff that's making her depressed, but also raising two kids is no pushover because as a mum myself I have a difficult and troubled young daughter.

Your mother might be going through menopause, though her treating you like this is not acceptable under any circumstances. Shouting is just another form of bullying.

I think you should make an appointment to talk to your doctor. If you are in the UK, tell the receptionist when making an appointment this is urgent. Tell her on the phone because staff are required to act more swiftly when the word "Urgent" is heard. The receptionist make ask you the nature of your request. Tell her you have depression caused by a bullying mother who also may have psychological problems, and you need to tell you doctor this also about your mother.

Also talk to your older sister. She needs to know. Ask her if your mum has been ill treating her also.

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.
    • I do sympathise with my mother, for she's been in a bad car accident at 16 and is always in pain, she was also abused by her father (Who sexually abused me and is in jail) yet she still talks to him on the phone....
      But yes she might be going to therapy soon hopefully, because we both can have really happy times together but then like a switch she just goes off.
      And for some reason she always takes things out on me and lets my sister off easy, and from what my sister says it's because my mom's scared of her. I've always thought of moving in with my dad who's a lot nicer but he lives with his family who do nothing but party and do drugs, I suppose I'll just wait it out...