REVIEW: PELI 1630 Waterproof Case: Part One

• REVIEW: PELI 1630 Waterproof Case: Part One

First off, the Peli 1630 is heavy and is too big for an aircraft cabin, so it will have to go through baggage and be stowed in the hold.

Stats:

Internal Dimensions: Length 730 mm, Width 552 mm, Depth 384 mm
      Depth: Lid 73 mm, Base 311 mm
      External Dimensions: Length 794 mm, Width 615 mm, Depth 444 mm
      Weight in Kilograms: 16.33 w/foam, and 14.06 Kg n/foam

Waterproof Cases UK state: 'The Peli 1630 is unbreakable, watertight, airtight, dustproof, chemical resistant and corrosion proof'.

Their statement is correct. The only way to destroy this case is to put a thermic lance to it. Overall, the waterproof case construction forms an integral part of the moulding that will make it almost impossible to break, even during tough handling. The 1630 also is heavy when it arrives containing the foam inserts. In the picture the foam appears to be solid. But poke your finger into it and you will see hundreds of foam oblongs are easy to pluck out. Now, although it's only a small thing, but these foam oblongs in my opionion would best have been square, same size as an OXO cube. This would enable you to make achieve the desired depth to hold your items, rather than cut the desired depth as Peli suggest, using a sharp knife or razor.

Note below the crenallated foam piece is on top in the illustration. The rest of the foam pieces have the pre-cut foam oblongs as previously discussed.

The high density foam inserts finish with a piece about 2 inches thick that provide a safe base for any flat-shaped equipment to go in first.

On removing this high density foam, all four slabs of it, I saw it is not shaped like an OXO cube. A single piece measures approximately 2 ¼ inches long, by about ½ inch square. It is easy to pluck the pieces out to form the shape if your equipment, but they strongly recommend using an electric carving knife, of all instruments. Personally, I can not see using what would be someone's kitchen carving knife! If an electric knife is not available, use a very sharp knife with a minimum blade of 8 inches. Full fitting instructions come supplied with all Peli cases and their foam inserts, and I was delighted to see their directions were clear and precise, easy to understand.

The hinges of the Peli 1630 are made of stainless steel.

As are its wheel bearings and axle, the wheels themselves made from some high density rubber, and glide smoothly.

Underside of the Peli 1630 depicts a tough separate section into which the integral handle is placed.
      This section is screwed into the case, but I was told that though thissection is removable, it also is extremely difficult to unscrew.

Close-up of the handle shows a notch that clicks firmly into place when the handle is pulled up.

Like so:

I am assuming this piece can be punched out if you want to lift the incorporated handle up just a little.

The Peli 1630's incorporated handle when fully extended doesn't waggle about. It is very stiff, so unlikely to break when the case is being wheeled. Also, when left in the sun, the handle's composite did not
      appear to bend or warp when the case was being pulled.

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.
    • Part Two

Handles: One on both sides of the case.

A thoughtful touch is these handles will not trap your fingers when the Peli 1630 is lifted and transported between two people.
      The handles stop at 45 degrees.

A padlock facility (also an integral part of the moulding) keeps your property safe from roving hands. The outer padlock holes have reinforced metal padlock protectors to ensure the case cannot be easily cut or pried open. I used Peli's TSA combination locks. Their shanks looked like they could have recessed better, but are mostly for a deterrent than for strength. Remember their being TSA allows approved aircraft personnel to open them.

Next, those stout, hardwearing latches.
      Notice the raised co-polymer "shoulders" that protect the double-throw latches

The Peli 1630 came supplied with installation instructions, screws provided to be screwed into the pre-drilled, premolded holes to ensure a proper fit. They were so difficult to screw into that I nearly had a fit! Took me best part of a sweaty half hour.

Inside lid showing pre-drilled but small tight holes for the Lid Organiser's screws.

But then, the Lid Organiser is going to stay put. You'll need a Philips head screwdriver: use a biggun - to have plenty of welly getting those flippin' screws in. image

Next, the neoprene O-ring.

Waterproof cases state their 6.4 mm neoprene O-ring will keep water out of your equipment should it be immersed in water. I didn't manage to test it because a crew member collared me while Lyra and I were about the chuck the case into the swimming pool. The guy was built like a house; we thought better of it. But the Peli 1630's ABS latches seal the case lid perfectly against water ingress, and includes an automatic purge valve for quick equalization after changes in atmospheric pressure.

Those ABS latches need hard pushing in.
      They will clack back in loudly: Just mind your fingers!

All Peli cases have an air purge valve, for both sub-water and flight use, without the cases exploding when the air pressure increases/falls.

Summing up, the Peli 1630 not only looks good but is built to take virtually any hard wear thrown at it. The stainless steel screws are well recessed and won't come undone easily. The sales lady told me the screws can be removed, but it is not advisable.

The Ultra High Impact copolymer construction will make this hard wearing case strong and durable. They are sold to the military, so they have to be excellent. I can't fault this product. It took hard knocks, it's built for any task asked of it. And, makes a really good seat for an elephant. One last thing and that is Peli encourage use of their excellent Trace Me Luggage tags.

Airline approved, these Trace Me tags are posted separately to your consignment for extra security. This Luggage Tracker will provide you with a strong, durable airline approved tag for your luggage that has a unique serial number and 2D bar code ensuring your suitcase can always be identified and returned to you. They have a website that you will see printed on the tags. You must first register your personal information like a phone number, email address etc, and then follwo the website's directions to log the details of your Peli case. Also, you may lodge photographs to make your Peli case easily recognisable, should it be lost.

I award the Peli 1630 10/10, and firmly believe the rest of Peli's waterproof cases to have the same excellence: right down to the name which says it all on the tin: Professional Grade.

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.