HPV (human papillomavirus)

• HPV (human papillomavirus)

I met him my first night of college. Although not the fairytale every girlimagines, we hit it off in the basement of a fraternity house It was apassionate, whirlwind love affair that lasted about a month. Long story short,we don’t speak any more. I took it as a learning experience about relationshipsand the healing process was not easy.
      It was an early morning over winter break when I got the call from mygynecologist. I was expecting the phone call and was prepared for her to tellme that I was perfectly normal and she’ll see me in a year for a checkup. Shewas reading through the list of diseases saying they all came back negative,until she said, “But, your HPV test came back positive. You have what’s calledhigh risk HPV.” I couldn’t think of anything other than getting out of hearingrange of everybody in the house. So, I ran into the kitchen and asked, “What doI do now?” She seemed so calm about the whole situation and just insisted thatI make sure to come back in one month for a follow-up appointment, and to callher if I had any questions.
      As I hung up the phone my whole first semester flashed through my mind. My birthday,Halloween, my best friends’ birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas… I had thisdisease the entire time. The girl down the hall had supposedly reached thedouble digit mark for people she had slept with, and I had only been with oneperson the whole semester. I kept thinking, “Why me?” But, I already knewthe answer. The girl down the hall probably used a condom every time. Iremembered all those times when I brushed off the need for a condom because Iwas on birth control. An 18-year-old would never be able to get an STD, I toldmyself, especially when she only chooses to have sex with the “good” guys. But,it happened and I realized that I was not invincible like I thought I was.
      After waiting amonth my obgyn recommended me to start a special treatmentdesigned to combat HPV and other STDsin women with Cervugid Ovules. After afew months of treatment with vaginal suppositories(Cervugid), I returned to the doctor to repeat analyzes.
      The big surprise was when the results came back negative for HPV. I am so excitedthat I was lucky to have a good doctor to prescribethis treatment without the needof any surgery.
      My advice is to protect yourselfagainst STDs andgo to the doctor for regularcheck ups.
    • Something I'd just like to note---

"In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that more than 90 percent and 80 percent, respectively, of sexually active men and women will be infected with at least one type of HPV at some point in their lives"
      Source: cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes…ous-agents/hpv-fact-sheet

I've been monogamous in a relationship for nearly 6 years and early on I was diagnosed with a form of HPV. After getting a biopsy and a second opinion, my doctor told me that what I had was completely normal and he doesn't treat anyone <21. My next pap at 22 came back completely normal, most cases more or less resolve themselves. That said, it's important you realized how important condoms are.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling