What we need is more Chocolate!

• AccessDenied wrote:

Florentines

As their name suggests, Florentines are an Italian “biscuit” that originally hail from Florence, Tuscany. In their most basic form they are essentially a group of nut and cherries set in caramel and coated on one side with dark chocolate. However, as with most concepts, there are a million-and-one variations on the classic.

Makes 8-12

Ingredients:
      • 60g blanched almonds, roughly chopped
      • 25g mixed peel
      • 25g raisins
      • 25g sultanas
      • 25g dried cranberries
      • 25g glace cherries
      • 35g plain flour
      • 75g butter
      • 75g golden syrup
      • 100g dark chocolate

1. Preheat the oven to 180C and line a tray with baking parchment. Melt together the butter and golden syrup. Remove from the heat, stir in the fruit and sift in the flour. Stir thoroughly.

2. Spoon the mixture onto the sheet in 1 tbsp dollops, flatten a little bit around 1 inch apart. Pop in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.

3. Allow to cool on parchment for 5-10 minutes until rigid, then remove to cool completely on a wire rack. Melt the chocolate in a bowl suspended over simmering water, coat the bottom of each Florentine. Leave to set chocolate side up before indulging.

:P
      OH MY SPIRITS.
      THESE LOOK LIKE HEAVEN,
      im not a huge fan of chocolate, haven't tasted chocolate in YEARS, my sister is allergic to cocoa and when when we discovered how severe the allergy was we cut ourselves off from chocolate completely, its been like 11 years lol. These pictures make me eager to try some again maybe.

:DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL:
      6/5/16 - The date i became permanently in love :lovey:
    • B'ni Dhana wrote:

AccessDenied wrote:

Florentines
      -snip-
      OH MY SPIRITS.THESE LOOK LIKE HEAVEN,
      im not a huge fan of chocolate, haven't tasted chocolate in YEARS, my sister is allergic to cocoa and when when we discovered how severe the allergy was we cut ourselves off from chocolate completely, its been like 11 years lol. These pictures make me eager to try some again maybe.

:DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL:
      You could substitute the chocolate for (powdered) Carob, which is sweeter than chocolate. Unfortunately the recipe for the florentines would be too risky to mess with, but later I'll see if I can find a suitable carob something for your Sis instead.

These allergies are bummers. :(

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.
    • All about Carob can be found here on BBC Good Food . which has two good recipes. One for vegan chocolate chip cookies, the other a spice hot chocolate drink.
      @B'ni Dhana I hope you can make your Sis those as they do look rather yummy. :)

Now this Mocha Mousse looks extremely yum! :)

When making this mousse please ensure that your chocolate contains cocoa solids of absolutely no less that 55%, though 70% would be more suitable. If one starts using chocolate with less than 55% cocoa solids the mousse could start getting a little heavy. Remember, it wants to be kept as light as possible, a fact I’m sure you won’t quickly forget after the previous paragraph. I only used two tablespoons of caster sugar in my egg whites because I like my chocolate desserts to be bitter, particularly if they contain coffee. However, if one has a bit of a sweet tooth one may, of course, add a little more sugar – three tablespoons should do it. Whatever your tastes, I hope you enjoy this rather simple, yet decadent and indulgent dessert.

Mocha Mousse
      Makes 4 large pots or 6-10 smaller pots

Ingredients:
      • 200g dark chocolate
      • 100ml strong instant coffee
      • 4 eggs
      • 2 tbsp caster sugar

1. Melt the chocolate together with the coffee either in a microwave or in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Beat the egg yolks into the chocolate one by one.

2. Transfer the egg whites into a large mixing bowl and beat until they form soft peaks. Add the sugar and continue to beat until the point at which they begin to form harder, stiffer peaks – be careful not to over beat. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture in three parts.

3. When fully incorporated transfer the mixture into vessels of one’s own choice, bung them in the fridge and serve after an hour or so.

Next,
      Chocolate Orange Mousse

You don’t need me to tell you this, but chocolate and orange make a really fine couple – formed between them is an enticing middle ground equidistant from sweet, citrus and bitter. Together they possess something instantly mouth-watering – perhaps it’s the pervasive aroma of orange, combined with the knowledge of incoming cocoa. Whatever the reason, chocolate orange mousse is a fabulous dessert that oozes luxury and decadence from every air pocket, yet it contains a mere five ingredients – one of which is water.

Why not give these little pots of wonder an end-of-season twist and substitute the orange for blood orange (like I did). This would be great for those of you who would rather a slightly more bitter dessert, as opposed to the incredible sweetness of a perfectly ripe orange.

For those of you who are a little tentative about using raw eggs, don’t worry – you’ll not come to any harm. As long as you don’t rub your egg whites with egg shell (the area most likely to contain salmonella) and ensure they are in date, nothing particularly bad will befall you… except perhaps a slight belly. Oh and don’t try to add double cream, please.

Chocolate Orange Mousse

Makes 4-6

Ingredients:
      • 200g dark chocolate (60-70%)
      • 2 oranges
      • 4 eggs
      • 80ml hot water
      • 2 tbsp caster sugar

1. Separate your eggs into two bowls. Zest your oranges and add it to the hot water, along with one tbsp of sugar. Place the chocolate in a large mixing bowl.

2. After 10 minutes sieve the water/orange mixture into the chocolate and add the juice of half an orange and reincorporate half the zest. Place the mixing bowl over a pan with a little simmering water until the chocolate is just melted, whisk in the egg yolks one at a time and set aside.

3. Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, add another tbsp of sugar and beat again until they form firmer peaks. Tip and fold this into the chocolate mixture, spoon into cups and place in the fridge for 3-4 hours to set. Enjoy within a day or so.

ROCKY ROAD

In these scrummy bars I’ve put biscuit and chocolate raisins, but you can chuck in anything you want. Most seem to have marshmallows, but I’m not such a big fan unless they are atop a large hot chocolate. As such, all you really need to make these bars is to remember the base ingredients. Depending on how large you like each portion this recipe will probably make between 12 and 18 rocky road bars, which will take roughly 15 minutes to prepare and 2 hours to cool.

Ingredients:
      200g milk chocolate
      100g butter
      2 tbsp golden syrup
      2 tbsp caster sugar, granulated will do but will require extra melting
      50g cocoa powder (I use Van Houtens Cocoa)
      150g chocolate digestives, broken up
      200g chocolate raisins

Line a 18cm / 7inch baking try with parchment. Melt together, over a gentle heat, the chocolate, butter, syrup, sugar and cocoa powder, until it forms a smooth and consistent mixture.

Leave this to cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, crush up the biscuits into some large junks and some crumbs. To this add almost all the raisins. When the chocolate mixture is slightly cooler pour most of it into the biscuits and mix thoroughly, but gently.

Put this into the baking tray and flatten out to the edges. Pour over the rest of the chocolate and top with extra raisins. Leave to set in the fridge for two hours.

Cost:
      The entire slab of rocky road will set you back an obscenely small £3.50 tops. Not bad considering you’d expect to pay around the same price for one slice in a caff.

• CHOCOLATE FRIDGE CAKE 2

Instead of margerine we use unsalted butter and higher quality chocolate. This is my recipe which is very moreish.

300g digestive biscuits
      100g raisins and/or sultanas
      200g unsalted butter
      4 tablespoons golden syrup
      1 heaped tablespoon cocoa powder
      300g high quality chocolate

1. Put the digestive biscuits in a bag and bash into crumbs and small pieces with a rolling pin then mix in a bowl with the raisins.

2. Melt the butter, syrup and cocoa powder in pan, stirring constantly until it just starts to bubble.

3. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well so all combined.

4. Pour into a foil lined baking tray (approx 18cm x 24cm) and press out until level.

5. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed in a pan with a couple of inches of hot (not boiling) water until it flows freely then pour over the top and spread out evenly.
      NOTE: Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the hot water.

6. Refridgerate overnight before cutting up.

NOT STICTLY A COOKIE, BUT ~

A chocolate-coated cultural bridge between Japan and Scotland. Recipe and words by Willian Curley.
      The greenish sprinkle is matcha

Makes about 25 shortbreads

185g (6½oz / 1¼ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
      125g (4½oz / 1¼ sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes, at room temperature
      60g (2oz / ¼ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
      7g (1 tsp) matcha (green tea powder), plus extra for dusting
      500g (1lb 2oz) tempered fine dark (bittersweet) chocolate, to coat

Preheat the oven to 160C (325F / Gas 3). Put all the ingredients, except the tempered chocolate, into a bowl and mix until the ingredients come together in a dough.

Remove from the bowl. Roll the dough to 5mm (¼ inch) thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 4cm (1½ inch) squares and transfer to a baking tray (sheet) lined with a non-stick baking mat. Leave to rest for at least 1 hour in the fridge.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the baking tray (sheet) and leave to cool. Dip in the tempered dark (bittersweet) chocolate and dust with matcha powder.

• This recipe is taken from Couture Chocolate: A Masterclass in Chocolate by William Curley (Jacqui Small, £30). A lovely book to buy for Christmas.