My dad over Christmas *divorce situation*

• My dad over Christmas *divorce situation*

So it's a really long and complicated story but I really can't type that much right now. So I have a 2 week Christmas vacation. I spend the first 6.5 days at my moms house (she has prime guardianship or whatever it's called...this is where I live and go to school from and stuff...) and then my dad gets me for the next 9.5 days... He lives almost 2 hours away from my mom and although I love him a weekend is plenty of time and a whole week really is not fun...he lives in a little townhouse in the city btw and i dont know anyone or have any friends over there. I have lots of great friends around my moms house right now who I love spending time with and are some of the best friends anyone could ever want... I'm 15 (almost 16, and very mature for my age if I do say so myself...) and although I've talked to my dad about this kind of stuff before he is very hard to negotiate with and can not seem to understand that even though I love him I'm glad to spend some time with him, that to be away from my home and all of my friends for almost 10 days over Christmas really isn't that fun... I love and respect both my parents but I'm very frustrated with my dad and his lack to understand things like this... and this definitely isn't the first time... I really need some help or at least some ideas about what to do... feel free to ask me anything you want to and I'll do my best to explain anything...
      Thank you all
    • In your shoes I'd make the best of a bad Christmas and spend time with your Dad - at some time. My father was an arms dealer, but got killed in Croatia when I was very young. I'd have loved to have got to know him, but my mother would have none of it.

I divorced my horrible abusive husband, and am about to divorce my wife for the unhappiness and deceit she caused me and my daughter Nikky. It's just Nikky and me now, and every moment we spend together is cherished time. You have to make the best of things and try and hit it off with both your parents while knowing you're piggy-in-the-middle. Life is never the bowl of roses with parents divorcing, but you should love and accept them and their ways because you are their Son. To not to, to moan your lot, shows ingratitude and a meanness of heart.

Your father is finding separation very difficult, I should imagine, and this is why he is reticent to discuss things with you. Try and see the nicer side of him. Go for a walk, stop by a caff and enjoy coffee and watch the world go by sat in his company. Getting to know him will take time, and your having a long Christmas vacation will provide opportunity for this.

Welcome to Teen Hut.

Poppi

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.
    • Thanks Poppi for your reply, I am sorry about all the things that have happened to you, it sounds like you've had hard life. I definitely will try to make the best of it as I have with a lot of things that have happened the past few years since they got divorced, it just really makes Christmas a difficult time to deal with. As I said I don't mind spending some time with him but just not quite as long. I will also say that we were always really close and still are pretty close, until he decided to marry a women who has caused a lot of problems in our family, he knew what he was doing before he married her but he did it anyways, which is fine with me, its his choice to make, not mine, but he knew when he made that decision that it would change things. He and his wife have also taken my mom into a lawsuit for a long time to try to get more money from her when we already were having a hard and they were remodeling their house... he has also lied to my whole family many times about different things and broken many promises that he has made so I really have a hard time trusting him now. My mom has always sacrificed everything she can to try to make sure that me and my siblings lives are as good as possible but even then my dad has just tormented her always trying to get more money for this and that and trying to have the court hold her and possibly make her go to jail for other lies that he's told... he knows how his different actions have effected us even causing us to be forced out of our house to another one but he still does it because he doesn't like my mom. I still love him even with all the things he has done to me and my family and I try to handle things the best I can and have thought of things from every persons angles, but I still have a life of my own to and sometimes you have to do what is best for yourself or no one else will...I have never felt sorry for myself either and always try to have a positive attitude and be fair to everyone in my life... I am just worn out by this and out of ideas now...
    • Oh well, after Christmas you will have 50 weeks back with your friends again. :)

Parents have their best and worst sides; Light and Dark. We have to take steps back from them, let them get on with dualling. It's all you can do and be kind to your father and listen to your mother and try not to take sides. Nothing will be gained by your taking sides.

• AccessDenied wrote:

Parents have their best and worst sides; Light and Dark. We have to take steps back from them, let them get on with dualling. It's all you can do and be kind to your father and listen to your mother and try not to take sides. Nothing will be gained by your taking sides.
      Yeah I very much agree with that and I've always been careful not to take sides but instead just step back and try to look at things as what is really right or wrong.

AccessDenied wrote:

Oh well, after Christmas you will have 50 weeks back with your friends again.
      True although I get to see most of my best friends only on the weekends really and I'm at my dads house every other weekend all year so I end up missing out on a lot of things, and also Christmas is always a special time anyways :P

Thanks for all the advice, I feel very torn right now about what to do...
    • THO wrote:

-snip-

AccessDenied wrote:

Oh well, after Christmas you will have 50 weeks back with your friends again.
      True although I get to see most of my best friends only on the weekends really and I'm at my dads house every other weekend all year so I end up missing out on a lot of things, and also Christmas is always a special time anyways :P
      Thanks for all the advice, I feel very torn right now about what to do...
      You'll know when the time comes. :)