Confused.

• Is it true that a guy can never want to continue being just best friends with a girl, if he ever had even a little liking for her in 'that' way?

I'm really confused about my guy best friend. We've been really close since a year n i know we liked each other purely as best friends. Well... Until he said he might be falling for me. Now i admit iv had doubts smtimes about whether it's 'friend love' or 'that' love that we had for each other but it was really ignorable, that thought. So we decided not to change anything btwn us (tho he did kinda want a relationship initially but he agreed with me in the end). We were pretty normal again actually, no biggie.
      But thennn........ Right after that i suddenly started feeling like i didn't find him to be as important to me as i was to him. Actually i started to find like he'd grown less important to me in my life. I felt irritated and angry pretty soon and idk suffocated by how it was an obligation to talk whenever we saw each other in skul, u know? Almost everyone anyway teased us, so his existence kinda kept others away, specially guys, 'giving us space' n that well... Pissed me off at times.

It was like we lost the 'spark' n i really felt i cud easily live without him. Iv never felt this way before.
      So i asked him for a break. Like we cud stop talking atleast a while n see if things get better.(smhow it's only i who felt all of this) but he didnt take it well n i just broke the friendship. He was kinda miserable honestly, n i felt guilty that it didn't affect me much then. N he texted me few days later saying we cud try again n well i said okay. Im confused. Things arent going well. Im not trying... Hardly..i dont feel like. N he is being very... Idk... He goes on about how he still doesn't want me to go but i probably didn't consider him as a friend ever. I did! He won't accept that we might be done for ever! I dont know what to do. Even thought it might not be true of course, i, n others, feel tthis problem is all because of the liking. N ppl are telling me that he doesnt wanna be just friends n im just too dumb to see it n turn him out. I really really don't want that to be true... So is it?

I'm really sorry for the length! Thanks for reading :)