Long Story Ahead: Does he hate me now? Can this be fixed? What's going on?

• Long Story Ahead: Does he hate me now? Can this be fixed? What's going on?

Ok so I've known this guy for a few months and I really like him. We're on the debate team together, so we would hang out at tournaments and at every club meeting, I would walk over and talk to him and his group of friends. I had a hard time talking to him specifically (because I like him) but I was able to talk to them all as a group. Also, every time we played card games at tournaments we would sit next to each other and touch for hours at a time and neither of us would move our arms or legs, we would just sit and touch the whole time. My friends also thought that he liked me because they said when we talked to each other it seemed like he was "listening intently" or something. And I also thought he liked me because when I flirted with him dating
      at a recent tournament he seemed to be flirting back, and he commented on my ig photos when he barely ever likes/comments on anyone else's posts (even good friends), and because whenever I sc him he responds immediately (even though the conversations are hella stilted and awkward) and he doesn't respond to anyone else (according to his good friend).?
      Anyways, about a month ago I asked him out. I didn't say it was a date, but I asked if he wanted to see the school play with me and he said "Yeah, sure!" and then he suggested Friday and we were going to go out. But then, about an hour or so later, he FB messaged me saying that he didn't remember at the time when he said yes, but that he couldn't make it because he had baseball and that he basically couldn't do anything until the end of the season. So I was like, "yeah I understand, it's fine" and he was like "most stuff is in the evenings" and then the "..." sign showed for a bit so I waited for him to finish typing, but then it disappeared. Then me and my nervous self had no idea what to say in response, so I just ignored it and the conversation left on that note.?
      Ugh then I felt so nervous around him so I essentially avoided him for a month. He had baseball so he didn't go to debate meetings, and I had track anyways so I didn't go either. I stopped saying hi in the halls and after practices, when we were both waiting for out parents to pick us up, we kinda just sat away from each other and didn't talk.?
      My friends encouraged me to start talking with him again, so I started saying hi again (somewhat) and he says "oh, hi!" Also there have been quite a few awkward situations with him since I asked him out. In the halls, for example, when I don't say hi to him, we kinda just look at each other out of the corners of our eyes but don't say anything (like actually I see him glancing and I'm pretty sure he sees me, too) and I have a resting bitch face and I get so nervous and can't smile at him so if I look at him I swear to god he looks away and has this expression of guilt and "omg avoid looking" so I try not to look at him.?
      Also about a week after I asked him out, after practice I saw him standing and waiting for his parents, and a couple feet away from him was our mutual friend, so I walked over to the mutual friend and I started talking to her and my back was to him. And then after a while, the mutual friend got him involved in the conversation and the three of us were chatting pleasantly, but then she left. And I tried to keep it up but then his friend came passing by and he did the thing where you're trying to get out of a conversation so you make a big deal about someone new passing by where he was like "OH HI FRIEND" and turned away from me. And like 30 seconds later his friend left and we were alone in front of the school but neither of us spoke with each other. For a straight 10 minutes we were on our phones alone in front of the school. I mean, he glanced up a few times but when he saw that I saw that he glanced up he looked down at his phone immediately. Then my dad came and got me and I said bye and he was like "oh bye" and that was it.?
      Then there was another situation where I was talking with my friends in the cafeteria after practice and he kinda walked by and sat at another table. Then one of our mutual friends was like "whaddup bro why you so distant?" and he was like "idk you seemed like you were all chatting amongst yourselves and I didn't want to bother you" but then basically me and that friend walked over and talked with him and we had a casual conversation. We were talking about debate team elections and he was running for PR and I asked "who else is running?" and he said it was our mutual friend Joe and we looked at each other and laughed (because Joe as PR is kinda funny... inside joke). But mostly the conversation was with him and our friend and he looked at me a few times and such but that was it.?I mean he kinda checked me out out of the corner of his eye so that was weird but basically no other contact other than that.
      Also I met one of his good friends through track. And she found out I liked him because right before I was literally about to race (this is going to sound straight out of a teen movie but this actually happened), she found out my last name and she said "oh I know where I've heard of you! _____ was talking about you!" After that the gun went off and I had to run, but after the race I went and found her and I was like "WHAT?!" and she told me that apparently, about a week before I asked him out, he was talking about how nice and funny I was with her on the bus. And then of course my face gave me away and she figured out that I like him.?
      In fact, last week she went up to him and she was like "remember how you told me about her?" and he was like "idk what you're talking about I don't remember that" and she did remember him talking about me so she was like "anyways, I met her and she's so nice and funny" and apparently he agreed with her.?
      She sent him a selfie with the two of us on sc and he opened it but didn't reply. I got the impression he thought she was very annoying before I came into the picture. Like two days ago, she asked him, in conversation on the way to a baseball practice, "aren't you two friends or something?" And he said "we're acquaintances at most." So now I'm confused.
      We were at least friends before all this awkwardness happened. Does he hate me now? What happened, from his perspective? Is this fixable? Should I just get over him? I like him a lot so I don't really want to but is that the best thing? If it's fixable I would really like to know.
      I'm getting a lot of divided advice. Some say I should just tell him I like him and be done with it, but I don't want to mess everything up more. Some say he's just really awkward and he doesn't know how to express his feelings and he probably didn't want to reveal them to the friend, that he may like me and I should try and be friendly again. Some say I should just get over him. But even if I wanted to, I don't know how. I like him a lot. Ugh. Help!