Boyfriend getting close to female friend/jealousy

• Boyfriend getting close to female friend/jealousy

I've been with my boyfriend for 1 year and 8 months now, and we've been together since we were 15 (He's now 17 and I'm 17 in June). We met through a friend, but he goes to a different school so we don't see each other very often, maybe once a week? His school is a private school with only about 125 students aged 3-18 and a lot of them are foreign, so there aren't many people his age to be friends with. There's a girl in the year below him (let's call her A, and him M) and they talk occasionally at school as there's pretty much no one else.

Basically, in March his school held a skiing trip in Italy, and both M and A went on it. Over the trip they got closer, and as he was abroad he couldn't talk to me very much due to text cots/bad wifi. When M came back from the trip things were pretty weird between us - conversations were short, arguments started pretty easily and it just wasn't nice. During an argument he said that he didn't 'feel the same anymore', and me, being the jealous, insecure girl that I am, asked him if it was because of A - I knew they'd been talking a lot, and I saw that he'd been putting kisses on the end of messages to her, (oh and the fact that I found out she'd actually admitted to people, including M, that she liked him!) so I had been a little bit worried - which kinda started a big argument (our biggest one probably) and we almost broke up. We didn't, as both us said that we wanted to be with each other and we just needed to see each other again as it had been a while - plus, I was due to go on holiday to Luxembourg with him and his family at the end of March, so things had to be sorted.

Things were good for a while. We went on holiday, we had fun, things were a lot better. Then around the middle of April, things started to go weird again, the same as before - short, empty conversations, arguments. Then on the 21st April, he told me he was unhappy with the relationship. He said that he didn't like the arguing, he felt we didn't have much to talk about any more, he didn't feel the same 'nervous spark' that he felt at the beginning of the relationship (I just thought this was just down to being comfortable with each other, not a bad thing??) and then he felt like things should change. So I asked what he wanted to happen and he said he didn't know - in the short term he felt like being single would be best, but he wanted to be with me in the long term. I got extremely upset and told my parents because I didn't know what to do - they just told me to ignore him, let him realise what he's going to lose, and just go to bed (it was about 10PM). The next day, I didn't talk to him until after school, but then I had work at 5 so we couldn't carry on the conversation until 9 when I finished work. After work we carried on our conversation and it didn't go to well - we basically both got very upset and emotional, things were said and then he asked me if I would meet him in town so he could basically break up with me to my face. I just asked him if we were over at that point, and if we were then there was no point in waiting until the next day seeing as we both knew it wad going to happen? Then he was pretty rude to me, so I just said to him, as much as it broke my heart, 'Fine, I'll say it for you - it's over'. I'd never been so upset in my life.

After that he asked me to still meet him in town the next day so we could talk, and not end an almost 2 year relationship by text. So I met him, we both cried a lot and surprisingly we got back together - we came up with three options: one, we split up for good. Two, we get back together. Three, we wait until after the exams (we're both doing our AS exams at the moment) and then see how things are then and maybe get back together. We went for option two - we both realised what we actually wanted was each other, and we didn't want to lose what we had.

Like I said before, we've started doing our exams and my dad is pretty strict - he makes me revise A LOT, I can't go on my phone until 8:30PM and I'm not really allowed to leave the house much, so I've only seen M once since we got back together. Anyway, on Snapchat you can the little heart emojis to show who your best friend is? Well I found out that M and A have got the red love heart on each others names, which means they've been mutual best friends for two weeks - they talk to each other the most on it. I know this makes me sound extremely petty and jealous, but it really annoys me and kinda upsets me that they talk to each other the most. Like, every time I go onto Snapchat it's like a constant reminder that he talks to her more than me, and I find it hard to understand how they can have so much to talk to when a typical conversation between me and him goes something like : 'Hi' 'Hi' 'how are you?' 'I'm okay, how are you?' 'I'm okay, how was your day?' 'It was okay, how was yours?' 'It was boring, wyd?' 'Nothing much, wbu?' 'Just watching tv' and that's pretty much it, it dies after about 10 minutes.

I just don't know what to do because I trust and love him, and A is actually a really nice girl which makes it a lot harder to not like her, but I'm just really worried that he's going to start liking her and he'll leave me for her - he's said that it won't happen, but I can't help but worrying about it, and it's going to start causing arguments and I really don't want that to happen. He really makes me happy, but I really don't know what to do.

Sorry about the length, but any help would be really appreciated. x
    • You say you trust him, but still worry about him cheating on you. It sounds like deep down you don't trust him only that you want to trust him. If you did, then you wouldn't worry about him having female friends. On the flip side, if you've already discussed how you feel about him getting so close to her, he should take into account your feelings too and accept that its upsetting you and stop contacting her.

Why don't you get to know her more, instead of making him push her away, pull her closer and become friends with her. You might find that you get along and could become good friends. Make it obvious to her that he is your boyfriend and not up for grabs.

Its a shitty situation to be in and I hope you can both sort it out.
      "Carefree, wherever we maybe. We are the famous CFC"

• jordanhardy wrote:

You say you trust him, but still worry about him cheating on you. It sounds like deep down you don't trust him only that you want to trust him. If you did, then you wouldn't worry about him having female friends. On the flip side, if you've already discussed how you feel about him getting so close to her, he should take into account your feelings too and accept that its upsetting you and stop contacting her.

Why don't you get to know her more, instead of making him push her away, pull her closer and become friends with her. You might find that you get along and could become good friends. Make it obvious to her that he is your boyfriend and not up for grabs.

Its a shitty situation to be in and I hope you can both sort it out.
      I do trust him, and it's not that I'm worried about him cheating because I know he wouldn't - it's more that I'd rather he say if he'd rather be in a relationship with this girl. We have talked about it and he's offered to stop talking to her but I don't want him to do that - I don't want to be that jealous and controlling girlfriend that makes him stop talking to his friends :/

The thing is, I do talk to her and we get on really well - she's so nice and pretty and smart and I can TOTALLY see why he would start falling for her rather than me :/

I know it is because I do really love him and everything's perfect when we're together, I just wish were together MORE. I really appreciate your help Jordan :') x
    • If he's told you he wants to be with you and not her, then you have to trust him. It wouldn't be fair to say you trust him, but then say to him that he wants to be with her and not you. If he's offered to stop talking to her then doesn't that show that he's willing to put you in front of her?

I think you need to believe in yourself more. He's chosen you.
    • chloereedy wrote:

I guess it does, yeah..

I just wish I didn't get so jealous and that I wasn't so insecure about things - I know it can cause problems but I can't not voice my opinion on things. Any advice on the jealousy thing? :/
      Everyone gets jealous sometimes. You seem like you're aware of yourself and recognise your jealousy which is a good thing. You just have to have faith in your relationship and not let the jealousness get in between it.