Is my report card bad?

• also the more subjects you take the longer you stay in school. if you're like me and take 6 subjects (plus whichever semester of my extra-classes i'm on): school would usually go for 7-8 hours
      6/5/16 - The date i became permanently in love :lovey:
    • Best Friend wrote:

B'ni Dhana wrote:

would my gpa be at least like 3.8? -ish X/
      I don't think you can calculate GPA using your system. At my university, this is the way GPA is assigned:

4.0: 90% or higher
      3.9: 85-89.9%
      3.7: 80-84.9
      etc. (I actually don't know the rest :lol: )

My school gives us the percentage we got in each class, so we can easily calculate our GPA my averaging out the corresponding GPA for each class. You're assigned a letter grade though, which is a range. So like your E might be 90-100, which would be a 4.0. But your M might be 80-90, which could either be a 3.9 or 3.7, but you wouldn't know which one. So yeah, I have no clue how you would actually calculate GPA. Maybe an American might know, they're more used to the GPA system than me
      oh i want your system lol
    • B'ni Dhana wrote:

also the more subjects you take the longer you stay in school. if you're like me and take 6 subjects (plus whichever semester of my extra-classes i'm on): school would usually go for 7-8 hours

Similar thing here. Each high school class is like an hour long give or take, don't remember exactly, so if you take extra classes, those take place outside of usual school time (usual school time being from 9am-3pm). For example, one of my extra courses was from 7-9pm two days a week.

It is a good system, it makes more sense to see exactly how well you did in a course, and not just get a letter than doesn't hold much meaning.
    • Best Friend wrote:

B'ni Dhana wrote:

also the more subjects you take the longer you stay in school. if you're like me and take 6 subjects (plus whichever semester of my extra-classes i'm on): school would usually go for 7-8 hours
      Similar thing here. Each high school class is like an hour long give or take, don't remember exactly, so if you take extra classes, those take place outside of usual school time (usual school time being from 9am-3pm). For example, one of my extra courses was from 7-9pm two days a week.

It is a good system, it makes more sense to see exactly how well you did in a course, and not just get a letter than doesn't hold much meaning.
      we get a scroll for passing each level with a black/red/white ribbon with our name and stuff on it lol
    • Best Friend wrote:

B'ni Dhana wrote:

would my gpa be at least like 3.8? -ish X/
      I don't think you can calculate GPA using your system. At my university, this is the way GPA is assigned:

4.0: 90% or higher
      3.9: 85-89.9%
      3.7: 80-84.9
      etc. (I actually don't know the rest :lol: )

My school gives us the percentage we got in each class, so we can easily calculate our GPA my averaging out the corresponding GPA for each class. You're assigned a letter grade though, which is a range. So like your E might be 90-100, which would be a 4.0. But your M might be 80-90, which could either be a 3.9 or 3.7, but you wouldn't know which one. So yeah, I have no clue how you would actually calculate GPA. Maybe an American might know, they're more used to the GPA system than me
      That's so unfair and way easier.
      In America, in college we just have grades E (failing/below 65%), and then D- all the way up to an A
      A 4.0 in colleges means you got all A's (we don't have A+ here)
      So
      4.0 = 100%
      3.5 = 90%
      3.0 = 80%
      etc

I got 3 A's and 1 A- last spring semester so I got a 3.92
      Damn your school makes you seem smarter than in the US.
    • agreed ^
      so b'ni getting(converting E's) A+, A+, A+, A, A, A- , each would be 4.0 in canada as they're all above that 90% so he'd have a 4.0 in canada. but a 3.97 in america based on emile's thing and emilys percentage thing too
      One does not simply taste Jade's flavour.
    • You guys are missing the fact that GPA is standardized so it factors in the difficulty of the particular university. My university has a different GPA conversion than another university, because mine may be easier or harder. So yes, your raw average may be higher than mine Emily, but if you came to my university, your raw average would probably be lower. I'm not to say that my university is better than yours, or yours is better than mine, but GPA factors in the ease of getting grades so everyone's grades are standardized and can be compared.
    • Best Friend wrote:

You guys are missing the fact that GPA is standardized so it factors in the difficulty of the particular university. My university has a different GPA conversion than another university, because mine may be easier or harder. So yes, your raw average may be higher than mine Emily, but if you came to my university, your raw average would probably be lower. I'm not to say that my university is better than yours, or yours is better than mine, but GPA factors in the ease of getting grades so everyone's grades are standardized and can be compared.
      hmmmm I don't think this is a thing lol, at least not in the US
      I've attended two different colleges so far. SUNY Albany & my current one. My current definitely has much lower standards because it is a community college and like half the students are stupid (not to be mean but ...). At Albany I did well, but in comparison to the other students I was probably about average smart. At my current school I do exceptionally well and seem to be one of the smartest in the school because a lot of the students do poorly in comparison. The GPA conversions are exactly the same between the two schools.
    • It could be entirely different in the States, I don't know for sure. In all honestly, Canada only uses GPA for medical school, that's it. Everything else just looks at percentage. For GPA though, each university has it's own GPA conversion so it's standardized across the country.

Thinking about it now, you're actually almost certainly right. My housemate applied for med school this year, and his Canadian GPA was like 3.8 something, but when he applied to the States, they said his GPA was 4.0. So idk how it works across the border haha :P