Turning to alcohol again after break up

• Turning to alcohol again after break up

The end of a relationship can really crush your heart and soul. Ever since my girlfriend and I broke up I’ve been feeling so empty and unsure of my future. It’s like I don’t even know what I want to do with my life anymore. I used to dislike thinking too far from the future but when we were together, I started imagining my days with her. We were going to make it big in our careers and we would come home to each other at the end of the day. She was the one for me but then things ended between us.

I tried keeping my normal routine for like 3 months but it didn’t seem right anymore. I would wake up, go to work, then come home. It’s a boring cycle. So I started drinking before sleep. 1 bottle turned to 2 then I couldn’t count it anymore. I used to work as a foreign affair matchmaker but then they forced me to resign because I was “too depressed for the hopeless romantics” my boss said. I feel bad for the people around me because they’re trying hard to support me but I just can’t seem to find the motivation to stop this drinking habit. Should I consult a professional? Do I voluntarily present myself for rehab?
    • First, your boss should have never spoken like that. A thing about human is that they're able to make sense again, after things fell apart big time. The ability to recreate the meaning is never to be underestimated. In the change, always a perspective of the better looms - these are the words of a great psychiatrist, Anthony Kepinski.

I'm not sure of how this looks from the practical side in your case. However, to begin with some type of talk therapy seems like a good start. Find a therapist - i.e. if you know someone who struggled, too, it may be a good idea to ask for a referral. Trust is key, if the therapy is to take time, there may be moments that would seem full of intertia. Then the trust will come in handy.

It's also for a professional to determine whether he or she will be able to help. And regardless of a formal diagnosis, a range of situations where you could benefit from talk therapy or counselling is very broad - short or long term. If you consult, you should be informed about the possibilities.

All the best for you