Somebody that I used to know

• Somebody that I used to know

there is this guy and he screwed me over. The story goes like this: I fell in love with him in sixth grade, we became friends in seventh, and in eighth he moved I with an abusive mom and he's been screwed up ever since. While he was gone, we had a lot of conversations that made me truly grow to love him. None of his other friends gave two shits about him that whole time but he ran back to them when he moved back. This was fine, whatever, it's his life. The thing is, he was suffering from PTSD when he got back and I was trying to help him, but with each passing day he got more and more distant and less and less a part of the world. Sooner or later, it was just me. He was a douche just to me. He got into this funk where he was sarcastic with everything I said and just passed it all off like nothing changed. Every time I confronted him about it, he just acted like it was my fault and for the longest time it was eating away at me. He never even noticed. I know that those were his problems and he was just dealing with them how he could, but I needed to get out of that relationship, so I did. The thing is, I can't get him out of my head, and I find myself still torn up about it, and for some reason, I can't help but keep doing things that remind me of him. For example, the song somebody that I used to know. I listen to it on loop for long periods of time even though I tear up every time the chorous starts because that song can't get any closer to the situation. I want to talk to him and see how he's doing, but I can't. It would hurt too much. Any advice or am I just stuck? ;(
    • It is good that you got out of the relationship with him. It sounds like he didn't treat you as a person, more as a victim.
      Try not to do things that remind you about him. Do things with other people and get on with your life. This will help you with getting over him.
      Wish you the best :)
      curious open-minded short but not so short guy from Germany. open for conversations/PMs, all topics, all ages, all genders
    • It's hard in situations like this. You feel like you need to do something to help because you love them but (metaphorically speaking of course) wounded animals bite. You did the best thing you could for yourself. Some people just won't be helped. It may hurt but it's ok to be reminded of him. Love is love and I'm sure all the memories and feelings aren't all bad. Just try to focus on the positive and let yourself heal. You need to grieve. Maybe when you're ready write him a letter and wish him well.
      :freehugs: I may be a little crazy but there is method in my madness :bump: