Why do people cut?

• I have never done it before but I believe it's not that it feels good but it can be a distraction from an emotionally painful world or can be some people's way of punishing themselves.

You should really get your friend some help as it's not healthy for him/her and probably a result of some rather tough situations and mental health issues
    • Why would you damage God’s beautiful creation of yourself by cutting? He has a plan and a purpose for your life. Please stop cutting and thus believing the lies of Satan. The Bible says you are made in God’s image and so are a son or daughter of God!
      Once you become a Christian by repenting of sin and believing in Jesus Christ to be saved unto eternal life in Heaven and the future new Earth where this is no more suffering in cutting, you can call on your Comforter the Holy Spirit to help you. Of course, the Bible says Jesus will never leave you or forsake you, either, so you can call on Him to be saved at any time whereby you receive the Holy Spirit to remind you of God’s righteous ways (Ten Commandments and those in New Testament, which boil down to loving our neighbor as ourselves AND loving God) and truths as you read the Bible that He desires you to pursue to show you are His and produce good fruit, not bad in cutting.
      No sin is too great. He is waiting for you to be reunited with Him for all eternity.
    • Kevin85 wrote:

Why would you damage God’s beautiful creation of yourself by cutting? He has a plan and a purpose for your life. Please stop cutting and thus believing the lies of Satan. The Bible says you are made in God’s image and so are a son or daughter of God!
      Once you become a Christian by repenting of sin and believing in Jesus Christ to be saved unto eternal life in Heaven and the future new Earth where this is no more suffering in cutting, you can call on your Comforter the Holy Spirit to help you. Of course, the Bible says Jesus will never leave you or forsake you, either, so you can call on Him to be saved at any time whereby you receive the Holy Spirit to remind you of God’s righteous ways (Ten Commandments and those in New Testament, which boil down to loving our neighbor as ourselves AND loving God) and truths as you read the Bible that He desires you to pursue to show you are His and produce good fruit, not bad in cutting.
      No sin is too great. He is waiting for you to be reunited with Him for all eternity.
      Thanks, I do love God and the lord Jesus Christ but I sin almost everyday sadly I ask for forgiveness every night and I'm really starting to worry about all the things I did in my past.
    • Zephlin (and anyone else): Pray for God to reveal (more of) His Spirit to you:

“And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?”
      ‭‭Luke‬ ‭11:9-13‬ ‭KJV‬‬
      bible.com/1/luk.11.9-13.kjv

And pray for these qualities:

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”
      ‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:22-25‬ ‭KJV‬‬
      bible.com/1/gal.5.22-25.kjv

Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, which “walking in the Spirit” supports:

“Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”
      ‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬
      bible.com/1/2co.5.17.kjv

Like you, Zephlin, I also have things I regret my past and I worry about and I let negatively affect me. But, with God’s help (which may include forgiving those who hurt you or asking forgiveness from those you hurt a la the Sermon on the Mount), you can move on with confidence and no fear.

I hope to see you in Heaven, brother!

“Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.”
      ‭‭James‬ ‭4:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬ (all of James is a good section of the Bible to read)
      bible.com/1/jas.4.8.kjv
    • What AJChops said is right. People cut themselves in order to feel something. They don't feel very much, they feel empty inside. The pain of the cut lets them feel something and they see that they are still alive and able to feel something. In other cases they think they did something wrong and punish themselves this way. In near every case this behavior is due to emotional pain and suffering. Those people need help from family and friends and professionals. They may say everything is fine, but that is just a mask to hide their fractal inside that can be hurt easily. Talk to your friend. Talking about feelings and being there for one another isn't "girly" - it's human. We should all be there for each other because we are the only ones capable of helping each other. A loyal pet can help us, faith can help us. But without the help of other humans people can't get out of their despair ( i am talking about serious mental issues not "just" about depressions).
      curious open-minded short but not so short guy from Germany. open for conversations/PMs, all topics, all ages, all genders
    • Still makes me want to call someone on my side maybe call someone that I am not a big fan about the F word to calm myself down and by that I mean yell it when they are not here. I mean really it makes me kind of cranky when someone calls me stupid last time someone did that on a online video game they called me stupid and I made her so embarrassed with rumors to shut her up and she did because making rumors like that would be sure to shut them up. So because I am nice and because that other person who insulted me actually deserved it because we were fighting since she just insulted me behind my back. So this time I am just going to pretend I did not see the your stupid.
      Pulmonoscorpius
    • People cut I think because they are in pain - whether they are having trouble at home, getting abused, emotionally are very distraught, or overall there's a lot of stress in life. Cutting itself can lead to a feeling of release or sort of a good feeling I guess it can be described. It's a temporary "good" feeling to try to make all the hurt go away for a little while. You should talk to your friend and not be embarrassed or ashamed about it. If you are persistent in reaching out to your friend, it will show that you care I think. Try to ask him what's going on, whether there are any problems you can help with, or if he just needs someone to talk to. Hope it works better.