how does someone get out of a bad relationship?

• how does someone get out of a bad relationship?

i came across this forum because i was searching online for advice people had about getting out of destructive relationships.
      i recently started dating my ex again, and i feel like i still can't trust him no matter what. he hurt me so many times before, he cheated on me and verbally abused me, and i always believe him when he says he loves me and he's sorry and will never do any of it again. part of me wants to believe that he's really changed this time, but my friends, my family, his friends, and the other part of me still thinks he's exactly the same. i think he comes back to me just so he can have a girlfriend, that he just wants me to tell him i love him to calm his insecurities about being alone. i do not feel like he really loves me in return. i always question everything he says and does because i'm so afraid of getting hurt again. whenever i try to talk to him about how i feel, he either avoids the subject or just tells me what i believed so many times before [but always turned out to be a lie], that he's 'not going to do it again' and 'he's really changed this time.'
      i want to break up with him, i know i should get out of the relationship before he hurts me again. but i don't know how. i'm scared because i know he will just verbally abuse me again and even threaten to do really mean things to me and the people i care about, and try to spread rumors and cause a bunch of problems for me to 'make me sorry for dumping him'.
      does anyone have any advice? i feel so cliche, don't know what to do...
    • Re: how does someone get out of a bad relationship?

I understand what you are going through and if you want to break up with him then you need to. There are reasons he wants you around and none of them have to do with love. He is playing a control game with you and right now, he's winning, in order for him to lose you need to take back full control of your life. Leopards don't change their spots, sorry but it's true. Even if he did "CHANGE" how will you able be able to get past it in your mind. Can you forgive him for the cheating and the abuse? Save yourself now!