Rules

• Right, so I just recently moved back in with my parents after spending 3 years at boarding schools.
      We're just getting used to each other again, and their rules are driving me up the wall.

So, I want to see if they're as ridiculous as I think they are or if I'm just being an overreactive teenager. :p
      What kind of rules do your parents have for you? Or did have for you if you no longer live with them?
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]------------------------------------------[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]We've been treating love like a battlefield
      For far too long.
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    • Yeh i agree list the rules.

My parents are pretty leniant. I don't have a bedtime or a curfue, they brought me up pretty well considering becausd even though I don't have a bedtime and never really have since about 12 they let me decide when I think is a suitable time and it's my own fault if I don't get enough sleep. Same with what time I come in at night if i've been out, as long as I act responsibly and like a grown up they don't mind. I'm pretty independant and do most things by myslef. The only rules I live by are to respect them and they'll respect me. Have to keep my room tidy-ish and do some housework every now and then.

Other than that i'm free to do as I wish. They say it's as much my house as it is theirs.
      Nicole = Happiest she's been in a long time:lovey:
    • Well, some of the smaller ones that bother me, but I could probably live with if it were just one or two of them are:
      No dyed hair
      No piercings (They made me take mine out when I came home.)
      No fast food
      9:30 curfew on weekdays
      Up by 6:30 on weekends

The ones that really bother me:
      11 curfew on weekends
      No boys in the house .. ever
      I can spend $50 of my paycheck, the rest goes in savings (Which isn't a bad idea, but it still ticks me off :))
      No jeans except on weekends
      In my room for the night by 11:30 on weekdays (I'm 17, a bedtime really isn't necessary)

Those are the big ones, and then of course there is little things that irk me, but I can deal with those.
      For far too long.
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    • How old are you Nokaa? depending on your age i'll give you my answer as to what I think.

Edit: i've just seen you're 17. Well I would agree that half of those are ridiculour ules, wearing jeans only on Weekends? what will that achieve?Curfew well yea it's a bit harsh but I guess you have to go by what your parents say.Most of the other things I think are too much you're 17, what do they expect you to do when you have to becoem independant and live on your own. You should be making your own rules by now really and they should be advising you on what they think, but not to thyat extent.

Maybe talk too them that you respect them and you know what you're doing. They obviosuly don't have a lot of trust in you or think you are capable of much if they are setting rules down like that. Did you do soemthing in the past that makes them think like this?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nicole91 ().

• Nicole91 wrote:

If you're reffering to me because I had just posted "yeh" it's because I pressed the enter button by accident before finsihing my post. I never reply to a topic with a one word answer unless required :) now i've finished it.

Haha, my bad :p

I'd say all of those rules were a little bit OTT, but then again, my mum's pretty leniant with me so.. No boys in the house ever is OTT for definite. But you're 17, and you need some space so it seems a bit crazy...You should tell your parents you're not the girl they knew 3 years ago, and have grown up a lot, and think some of the rules are stupid (Without saying stupid (Unless you want to)).
      Get rid of your expectations, and free yourself.
    • Nicole91 wrote:

Maybe talk too them that you respect them and you know what you're doing. They obviosuly don't have a lot of trust in you or think you are capable of much if they are setting rules down like that. Did you do soemthing in the past that makes them think like this?

I've tried talking, we've never really gotten anywhere. It never fails that one side loses their temper and then things just go to hell.

But no, I'm a pretty good kid, never been in any serious trouble.

I think alot of it has to do with the fact that I haven't lived with them since I was 13. Some of their rules would make alot more sense if I was still 13 but I'm not.

Also, I had more than 3 years of basically being independent as long as I acted responsible, and now this. So my parents and I are just at completely opposite ends.
      For far too long.
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    • I see, are you an only child? If they havn't had experience of a 17 year old yet, they're probably still treating you as a 13 year old as they don't know any different. Whatever you do don't start being all "rebel" because it'll just show them that you aren't capable of doing what they say and they were right to be this harsh on you. All your arguements will just fly out the window

What you need to do is ask to have a discussion one night, where you can voice your opinions freely without them interupting for once, don't start talking until they understand you are not to be interupted until you have finished.

Tell them you aren't that 13 yera old little girl anymore, and because it was their choice to send you to a boarding school you have gotten used to your own rules and being pretty independant, it's their fault if they didn't want you living like that. I'm not saying you shoudl live totally like you did, but you should explain to them that you need more freedom . Compromise
    • Nicole91 wrote:

I see, are you an only child? If they havn't had experience of a 17 year old yet, they're probably still treating you as a 13 year old as they don't know any different. Whatever you do don't start being all "rebel" because it'll just show them that you aren't capable of doing what they say and they were right to be this harsh on you. All your arguements will just fly out the window

What you need to do is ask to have a discussion one night, where you can voice your opinions freely without them interupting for once, don't start talking until they understand you are not to be interupted until you have finished.

Tell them you aren't that 13 yera old little girl anymore, and because it was their choice to send you to a boarding school you have gotten used to your own rules and being pretty independant, it's their fault if they didn't want you living like that. I'm not saying you shoudl live totally like you did, but you should explain to them that you need more freedom . Compromise

I have three older siblings (much older). But my mom was fighting multiple cancers when they were teens. So it was pretty much "Do as you please just don't bother your mom" type of rules. Two of them went through pretty rocky teen years, so that could have something to do with it. I also have a younger brother, but hes 12 so.

My dad is an ex-military man, so getting a word in with him isn't always the easiest of things to do. But yeah, I think I'll try to have a civil talk with them at some point or another, who knows whether they'll listen or not.
      For far too long.
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    • are you like a strict catholic, church-every-sunday-remember-to-say-grace, family. like.. jesus.

I'm a tad younger then you, I don't have a weekend curfue. basicly my rules are:

- No Swearing (&@$#ing catholics.. [just kidding])
      - No dyed hair
      - No piercings
      - 9:30 curfew on weekdays
      - No boys. period.

btw you said you have to be in bed by 9:30 and 11:30 on weedays.. whats the correct answer.
      Okay, you can stand next to me as long as you don't talk about the temperature.

"If you can dream it, you can do it. Remember it all started with a dream and a mouse" - Walt Disney
    • Lucky you Kat :p

Maiflowers wrote:

are you like a strict catholic, church-every-sunday-remember-to-say-grace, family. like.. jesus.

I'm a tad younger then you, I don't have a weekend curfue. basicly my rules are:

- No Swearing (&@$#ing catholics.. [just kidding])
      - No dyed hair
      - No piercings
      - 9:30 curfew on weekdays
      - No boys. period.

btw you said you have to be in bed by 9:30 and 11:30 on weedays.. whats the correct answer.

No, not catholic hah. My mom was raised pretty strict mormon and my dad was raised traditional Cherokee Indian spirituality mixed in with some basic christianity. So my parents are a pretty much just a nice melting pot of crazy :].

Curfew on weekdays is 9:30 (have to be in the house and what not.) In my room for the night by 11:30.
      For far too long.
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    • Lol. I can get away with swearing, if I just say I stubbed my toe, or dropped a fork on my foot or something...Works a charm :rolleyes:

Never dyed my hair, but I'm allowed to if I wanted to.

No piercings in me. Probably allowed.

No curfew, or bedtime really. My mum trusts me :D

No boys period...Well, I have mates over like everyday after school so..:p
      Get rid of your expectations, and free yourself.