Alcohol should be illegal

• Re: Alcohol should be illegal

Neal wrote:

Alcohol doesn't directly kill people, in a non-overdose sense. It can indirectly kill people.

But people who drink it under the influence are likely to crash while driving. Or crash into others.

Do we ban alcohol in general or ban drinking under the influence?

This is why we don't ban bananas in general but only the killing via bananas, which is the same as killing without bananas.
      Does alcohol constitute the majority of murders?

It's not irrelevant in the lightest sense. You said if banana's constitute 99% of murders, we should only look at the item itself, and not what it has done.
      Likewise, you only want to look at what alcohol is capable of doing, and not what it is doing.

Now answer my question.
      You attempt to make a point and when you're caught in a corner, suddenly every questioned asked pertaining to your point is irrelevant.

It's irrelevant because alcohol does not constitute the majority of murders. Neither do bananas.

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

It's not irrelevant in the lightest sense. You said if banana's constitute 99% of murders, we should only look at the item itself, and not what it has done.
      Likewise, you only want to look at what alcohol is capable of doing, and not what it is doing.

Now answer my question.
      You attempt to make a point and when you're caught in a corner, suddenly every questioned asked pertaining to your point is irrelevant.

Alcohol itself shouldn't be made illegal, neither should bananas. The things you do with them in an illegal way itself should be made illegal (driving under the influence, killing with bananas).

The post was edited 1 time, last by Neal ().

Christ'sChild wrote:

Well even without booze cars can kill people can't they and we can't just ban cars. It is how people choose to use it is the problem not the alcohol itself thgere are penty of people who drink a glass of wine at dinner or on New Year's Eve and have no problems.

Exactly. No matter how many people want to kill others by crashing into them with their cars, we don't ban cars because cars are not morally responsible for their actions - the people that drive them are. The same goes for bananas and alcohol.

Neal wrote:

It's irrelevant because alcohol does not constitute the majority of murders. Neither do bananas.

Alcohol itself shouldn't be made illegal, neither should bananas. The things you do with them in an illegal way itself should be made illegal (driving under the influence, killing with bananas).
      I'm aware that both don't cause the majority of murders. You used a faulty analogy and now it's backfiring on you.

The point remains the same. If something causes the majority of murders, it needs to be banned.

Am I saying alcohol does this? No. I was telling you that your idea of only looking at the item itself is flawed.

That's where I disagree.

Someone could kill you with water. We simply won't ban water. We could make new laws on the killing of people using water, but we don't have to because we already have laws in general about killing without water.

You might support banning cars if people had too many car accidents, or car non-accidents to kill people.

Neal wrote:

That's where I disagree.

Someone could kill you with water. We simply won't ban water. We could make new laws on the killing of people using water, but we don't have to because we already have laws in general about killing without water.

You might support banning cars if people had too many car accidents, or car non-accidents to kill people.
      You can't "ban" water. It's impossible seeing as we'd all be dead.

Car accidents aren't murder; they're what their name implies: car accidents.
      If the majority of murders happened with cars, it's still not possible to ban cars, seeing as people need them as every day transport.
      You don't "need" bananas or guns.