Alcohol should be illegal

• Re: Alcohol should be illegal

iphu wrote:

PressHerald.com | The Checkup: Breaking the red wine myth

But honestly... how many people here really are sticking with exactly a glass of red wine - otherwise known as the "right amount"? If you're going to argue for health benefits of alcohol, do it right.

That's the point. No one is going to drink that one glass of wine. So, as you said, it's really pointless to argue about the health benefits of it.

I don't drink to get drunk, I don't like being drunk and the only reason that's the case is because of what society has turned it into, you don't seem to realise that people at dinner parties don't get shit faced.

I do not drink for health purposes, I drink because I enjoy the taste.
      #1 pickup line of all time: "Hey, does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There is nothing wrong with alcohol itself, but more of how people abuse the substance. If people did try to make it illegal, there would be a big outcry, and I think things would actually get worse. I think that better actions need to be taken, espically in the young age group. I'm not legally old enough yet, but I still find myself at parties and drinking. Go figure.
      [CENTER][SIZE=5]♥ [SIZE=1][SIZE=5]bailey [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=5]♥[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/CENTER]
      [/SIZE]

There is nothing wrong with alcohol itself, but more of how people abuse the substance. If people did try to make it illegal, there would be a big outcry, and I think things would actually get worse. I think that better actions need to be taken, espically in the young age group. Its your choice. I know I'm not legal of age, and I choose not to drink. Its the dumb decisions...
      [CENTER][SIZE=5]♥ [SIZE=1][SIZE=5]bailey [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=5]♥[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/CENTER]
      [/SIZE]

Michelle08 wrote:

If they ban alcohol then there will be a rise in gangs because gangs will organize themselves around the illegal selling of alcohol. So basically, ppl will be getting their alcohol even if its illegal. Always have, always will.

Exactly.

Look what happened during the prohibition years.

Crime rose, there were bootleggers, speakeasies...oh and Al Capone had his way of getting around the law, too.

The people on here than say it's the people and not the acohol.. :rolleyes:

Alcohol can become an addiction, like smoking does with niccotine, alcohol releases a chermical called 'Ethanol'. It's a depressent chemical and it really kicks into the brain and could start an addiction. It's easier than you'd have though. Of course the more you have, the less self control you have over you and your actions. Like my old man, it's gripped him round the neck and he can't get free. It's wrecked his life in a nutshell.

Shouldn't ban alcohol but stricter rules should be introduced regarding the consumtion of drink.

It's more of the person's fault than the actual drink's fault.

Alcohol is just a drink, yet, just like energy drinks or other drinks high in caffeine or ginseng, it can be deadly (energy drinks and other highly caffeinated or "ginsengated" drinks can cause heart attacks).

These drinks must be drunk in moderation, or they can prove fatal to yourself, and to others.

There should be stricter alcohol laws, not the actual banning of alcohol...

gregdavidson wrote:

Dude! About 1% of all people who drink alcohol do it for health purposes. The rest do it to party their ass off and most people do get drunk when they drink.

Ignorance thy name is gregdavidson.
      Seriously dude you obviously have never drank anything, and don't know anyone that's ever drunk. What you mean by "most people" is "most people I know". You say about "1%" do it for health purposes... Bollocks. The majority of alcohol consumers, drink minimal amounts to cope with stress. And guess what? Stress is a mental health problem, or if you don't class it as one, nobody can deny it can lead to both mental and physical health problems.
      You'll find the people who do it to "party their ass off" (an ass is a donkey btw, it's arse) are just teenagers having fun, or adults that do it every once in a while, as almost all adults do. Any teen that doesn't grow out of getting shit-faced is going nowhere in life, and it is their own fault. Not the booze's fault, theirs. Everyone who drinks has or will drink irresponsibly at least once in their life, it's just whether or not they choose to repeat it.
      It's a person's decisions, not the substance itself that causes alcohol to ruin lives.
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]

gregdavidson wrote:

Out of all the addictive drugs out there, I believe alcohol is worst then all of them! Alcohol has probably ruined more lives than all of the illegal drugs combined in the history of mankind! Many of the people that are drug addicts were alcoholics prior to their addiction. Whenever I see a homeless person on the side of the road with a beer in their hand, I see somebody who once had dreams and ambitions and basically gave up because the alcohol took over their lives. Most people would probably call them a "bum" and make fun of them. I believe alcohol has absolutely no purpose in this world and should be illegal. There are so many groups out there who feel cigarettes should be illegal yet there are none that feel alcohol should be illegal. Who cares about cigaretts! They can take up to 50 years to kill you! People can die in one night from drinking alcohol! Whenever you go to a party or social event where everyone is drinking, the peer pressure kicks in and you look stupid if you don't drink. And when it's time to go home and there's nobody around to drive you home, what do you do? Most people get in their cars and hope no cops pull them over. That's why there's so many drunk driving accidents out there. I think somebody should take a stand against alcohol because this is a serious issue. I know most of you are going to refer to prohibition and how it was a failure. This is the 21st century and times have changed!
      yes times have changed since prohibition however i beleive they have changed for the worst because people have less moral now than the did back then.
      Christian faith pm if you would like to know more about it.

gregdavidson wrote:

I know most of you are going to refer to prohibition and how it was a failure. This is the 21st century and times have changed!

The war on drugs would beg to differ.

gregdavidson wrote:

Hey dude! When you're on the side of the road in the future with a big sign on you, I'll throw a quarter your way.

Nice ad hominem there.

gregdavidson wrote:

I believe alcohol has absolutely no purpose in this world and should be illegal.

gregdavidson wrote:

Name one purpose for alcohol besides getting drunk and stupid and I would agree with you.

gregdavidson wrote:

Guns have a purpose, alcohol does not. If guns didn't exist it would be extremely hard to enforce the laws we live by. I think they do more good than bad to be honest.

That's just your own subjective opinion. As long as people choose to do it it does serve a purpose. "Getting pissed" is just as valid a reason as any other.

i personallydont have a problem with having a few beers or something, just never cross that line, the last time the made alchohol illegale moonshining started and it formed NASCAR, so other than the fact that an awesome sport was made nothing good came from it, and nothing good will come from it again, drugs are illegal,we still have drugs, nitros used in road cars is illegal, we still have that, street racing illegal, speeding illegal, on and on the list goes of things that are illegal and still are used/happen