Alcohol should be illegal

• Re: Alcohol should be illegal

gregdavidson wrote:

Out of all the addictive drugs out there, I believe alcohol is worst then all of them!

That's fine, but you can't include this in your list of logical arguments against the legality of it. What you believe is only your assumption.

gregdavidson wrote:

Alcohol has probably ruined more lives than all of the illegal drugs combined in the history of mankind! Many of the people that are drug addicts were alcoholics prior to their addiction. Whenever I see a homeless person on the side of the road with a beer in their hand, I see somebody who once had dreams and ambitions and basically gave up because the alcohol took over their lives. Most people would probably call them a "bum" and make fun of them. I believe alcohol has absolutely no purpose in this world and should be illegal. There are so many groups out there who feel cigarettes should be illegal yet there are none that feel alcohol should be illegal. Who cares about cigaretts! They can take up to 50 years to kill you! People can die in one night from drinking alcohol! Whenever you go to a party or social event where everyone is drinking, the peer pressure kicks in and you look stupid if you don't drink. And when it's time to go home and there's nobody around to drive you home, what do you do? Most people get in their cars and hope no cops pull them over. That's why there's so many drunk driving accidents out there. I think somebody should take a stand against alcohol because this is a serious issue. I know most of you are going to refer to prohibition and how it was a failure. This is the 21st century and times have changed!

1.Laws shouldn't be based on the ultimate statistics of a certain event or thing but on the individual thing itself.

For example, we don't say machine guns should be banned because 99% of the time, it is used for murder, but because of the physics and practicality of itself.

Suppose people decided to use bananas to kill people. And it resulted in 99% of the murders. Would it be okay to ban bananas? Absolutely not - the murdering with bananas is no different than murdering with non-bananas.

2.So with regards to all the people that are drunk with alcohol and thus cause car accidents, wouldn't it be reasonable to ban driving while drunk?

Oops, already done.

And other such laws already in existence regarding alcohol.

Neal wrote:

Suppose people decided to use bananas to kill people. And it resulted in 99% of the murders. Would it be okay to ban bananas? Absolutely not - the murdering with bananas is no different than murdering with non-bananas.
      So if nuclear weapons were released to the public, and 99% of murders resulted from nuclear explosions, you're saying it's not OK to ban the nuclear weapons? Murdering using the nukes is no different than murdering without nukes.

FYI: Since I see an "open the floodgates" argument coming, one thing. Machine guns can kill a lot more people at one location than a rifle, shotgun or pistol.

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

So if nuclear weapons were released to the public, and 99% of murders resulted from nuclear explosions, you're saying it's not OK to ban the nuclear weapons?

I'm not sure I'd approve of releasing nuclear weapons to the public to begin with. What would individual users have a need for nuclear weapons for?

This is something that should be for government use.

Neal wrote:

I'm not sure I'd approve of releasing nuclear weapons to the public to begin with. What would individual users have a need for nuclear weapons for?

This is something that should be for government use.
      That has nothing to do with the point you attempted to make. According to you, the actual device used to murder is no different than another device. AKA: A banana would kill as a nuclear device would. If it's not the device causing the problem, it's the person; the same concept could be said for a nuclear bomb; it's not the bomb killing people, it's the person killing another person(s).

The line obviously has to be drawn somewhere, and it's well before nuclear bombs; however, your logic would include any sort of killing device.

Neal wrote:

I don't evaluate that an item is used to kill people. I evaluate the item itself.

A banana is 1 thing, a nuclear weapon is something else.

Yet, theoretically, they can both be used to kill or cause harm, and as you already said, murdering with bananas is no different than murdering with non-bananas. Still, if 99% of the murders occur with bananas, then the bananas would seem to possess some sort of easier killing capability than something else. If something is used for murder 99 times out of one-hundred, why would you only evaluate the item itself? If it were a banana, it would seem harmless, but basic statistics show differently, and you would be ignoring the statistics.

I don't think anyone argues that nuclear weapons should be allowed to be released to the public for as long as no 2 uses it to kill people.

In theory you can come up with things that should be strictly legal, and other things not illegal. But if you use the non-illegal things in an illegal way, i.e, banana to kill people, I don't follow the non-illegal things should be made illegal because of it.

For example, cars can kill people, but no 1 argues it should be illegal if people used it purposely to kill people.

Maybe you can come up with things like cyanide gas that should be illegal for individual use.

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

Yet, theoretically, they can both be used to kill or cause harm, and as you already said, murdering with bananas is no different than murdering with non-bananas. Still, if 99% of the murders occur with bananas, then the bananas would seem to possess some sort of easier killing capability than something else. If something is used for murder 99 times out of one-hundred, why would you only evaluate the item itself? If it were a banana, it would seem harmless, but basic statistics show differently, and you would be ignoring the statistics.

Yes, let's make the slippery slope that a lot of things can be used to kill people.

Even too much water can kill someone.

The penalty for killing someone with a banana should be no different than killing someone in general.

Neal wrote:

Yes, let's make the slippery slope that a lot of things can be used to kill people.

Even too much water can kill someone.

The penalty for killing someone with a banana should be no different than killing someone in general.
      This has nothing to do with making a lengthy chain of logical relationships.

You said to evaluate the item itself, and not the statistics showing what that item has done. Again, a banana would seem to be harmless if you only evaluated it, but in the end, statistics show that 99% of murders are done by banana's; the banana isn't going to be harmless if you evaluate it, but it will be once you look at statistics.

Evaluating something can be misleading. You may believe it will or won't be able to cause a certain event, when the outcome may be the very opposite.

I had an uncle that befriended a guy who introduced him to alcohol...they went out drinking and next thing you kno I'm being drug outta bed in the middle of the night and taken to a relatives b-cuz my uncle's "friend" shot him and blew his jaw out. My uncle knew the alcohole influenced him and refused to press charges. Then b-cuz he liked how it made him feel he went out drinking again but the next time he ended up dead.....ya my uncles so called "friend" killed him and only got 9 years in prison.....he got out this past january....sorry but i kno i live my life alcohol free and i try to keep my friends and family that way...I can party and have fun safely and with out alcohol.....I would love if it was illegal b-cuz i agree it has no purpose and causes nothing but problems

cyndy08 wrote:

I had an uncle that befriended a guy who introduced him to alcohol...they went out drinking and next thing you kno I'm being drug outta bed in the middle of the night and taken to a relatives b-cuz my uncle's "friend" shot him and blew his jaw out.

Damn.. you have my sympathy.

cyndy08 wrote:

My uncle knew the alcohole influenced him and refused to press charges. Then b-cuz he liked how it made him feel he went out drinking again but the next time he ended up dead.....ya my uncles so called "friend" killed him and only got 9 years in prison.....he got out this past january....sorry but i kno i live my life alcohol free and i try to keep my friends and family that way...I can party and have fun safely and with out alcohol.....I would love if it was illegal b-cuz i agree it has no purpose and causes nothing but problems

Good story.

Neal wrote:

This is obviously something that requires a consensus.

If the people of the country want the lawmakers to outlaw bananas because of several people (or several million) that will abuse it, affecting the statistics, wonderful.
      If 99% of crimes were caused by banana's, as used in your example, then there would be many, many people abusing them.
      More than enough to outlaw it.
      If an object/item is being used excessively in murders, it needs to be banned.

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

If 99% of crimes were caused by banana's, as used in your example, then there would be many, many people abusing them.
      More than enough to outlaw it.
      If an object/item is being used excessively in murders, it needs to be banned.

Alcohol doesn't directly kill people, in a non-overdose sense. It can indirectly kill people.

But people who drink it under the influence are likely to crash while driving. Or crash into others.

Do we ban alcohol in general or ban drinking under the influence?

This is why we don't ban bananas in general but only the killing via bananas, which is the same as killing without bananas.