Dangerous Nights, a AU fanfic part one

• Dangerous Nights, a AU fanfic part one

Okay, so here's a Alternate universe fanfic of mine. If you want to leave a review on my fanfiction.net account, go to my account, press the Dangerous Nights link and press the little blue button at the bottom of the page. lol

Disclaimer: I do not own inuyasha or any of it's characters, I do, however, own my plot.

A lone feminine figure walked down the sidewalk. It was much too late for her to be out. Much too dangerous for her to be out. But she couldn’t say no to her boss when he had asked her so sweetly to finish up for him so that he wouldn’t be late for his date. Hey, if she couldn’t have a decent love life of her own then, by gosh, she was going to do her best to help everyone else with their’s.

Even if the people she was helping happened to be her former crush and a very snotty actress. But hey, who was she to judge?

So, she had stayed late to finish all the paperwork, tidy up just a bit (since no one else in the office could), make sure all the computers were shut off, and anything else she could think of.

Now she was questioning her sanity in agreeing to stay late – even if it was a favor to a good friend who just happened to be her boss. She had forgotten that her walk home took her through the most dangerous part of town. That was why she always left work early. Especially on Friday nights.

That was when the gang activity was at its worst. Plus, there was something else out there too. No one knew what it was, but it had killed before. She defiantly didn’t want to see what it was. No one that had seen it had survived as of yet.

The young woman sped up her pace, almost breaking into a run. There was someone behind her. Step, step, step. She discreetly reached into her purse, debating on grabbing her keys or the mace that she carried. Her hand wrapped around the can of mace. She kept her hand in her purse though. It had a long strap on it, so it wasn’t a completely unnatural position for her hand to be in.

Next to her hand she felt something vibrate. She reached her other hand into the purse, making sure that she never let go of the mace. It was awkward, but it made her feel a little better at least.

“Moshi moshi,” she said into the cell phone.

“Kagome! Where are you? Did you forget that tonight is our weekly horror movie night?! Miroku and me have been waiting for two hours! You’re sooo lucky that I had a spare key to your apartment or else I’d be reeal angry right now.”

Step, step, step.

“Okay, okay Sango, I’m sorry. But Inuyasha asked me to stay late tonight. He and Kikyo,” she said the name with a faint trace of bitterness, “had a date tonight. He needed someone to finish up for him, and apparently, I’m the only one he trusts to be in the office alone.”

“How kind of him. Does he even know that you have to walk through such a dangerous part of town to get home at night? By the way, Kagome, you better have that mace I gave you with you right now.”

“I’m holding it right now, Sango. Anyway, I’ll be there soon. Did you get that movie we’ve been looking for?”

“Yup,” Sango said triumphantly, “I found it at that old movie rental place next to the pizza shop.”

“Cool.”

“Get home soon. And safe.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be there sooner than you can say…,” she paused, looking for a suitably long word, “the name of that town in Wales, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.” Amazingly enough, she got the pronunciation right. Maybe because she had memorized it out of a travel magazine she had found in the break room during lunch today.

Step, step, step.

She heard Sango laugh, “Okay, bye.”

She hung up the phone, but didn’t really want to put it away. Whoever had been following her was still there; she could hear footsteps behind her.

She put the phone back into the purse, still not letting go of the mace. Her hand was starting to fall asleep. She had heard on TV that you were supposed to turn around and look your attackers in the eye. Show them that you weren’t an object, but a person with a mind of your own and all that. For some reason, she thought that would only serve to amuse her attackers if they were who she thought they were.

The gangs had been becoming more and more of a problem lately; something was causing them to become bolder. They were going about committing atrocities beyond imagination. Even stooping so low as to kill a young child. The community was in an uproar.

Step, step, step.

But, there was something else out there too. It had been going about killing any who crossed it path. Rumor was, there was supposed to be a pattern to its killings. It had killed gang members and civilians alike though, all of differing races. Perhaps it had to do with the people themselves. Who knew? Only the monster itself.

And it was a monster. It tore its victims apart, limb by limb, and ripped out their throats. Every murder had been more grisly than the last. Whenever the police talked about it on TV, they were always very pale. That alone was enough to make you scared.

“Hey, girlie,” a masculine voice slurred behind her. It wasn’t a drunken slur, though. It was more like the type of slur that resulted from an attitude, or just having no class. It screamed ‘uneducated and violent’. She sped up, breaking into a run.

She wasn’t fast enough. He caught up to her and stepped in front of her.

“Hey, I just wanted to ask ya a lil’ question, no need to run. Though, now you have made me kind of mad, sooo…” The man towered above her, but she couldn’t make out his features because it was so dark. The streetlight above them was broken, and even though there was one not too far away, it did no more than illuminate his silhouette.

“Um, sorry I didn’t hear you. Actually, my friends are expecting me so…” she turned around and ran. She passed by several stores, but they were all closed. There was no one else out, and the roads on this side of town were almost always empty except for the occasional cop car. Unfortunately, there was none to be seen. So, she kept running, surely she must be near her apartment by now.

She looked around at her surroundings. And realized that something was very wrong. She had missed a turn and now she wasn’t even sure she knew where she was. And there was no way she was going to turn around. The man was still chasing after her.

She began to breathe harder and harder, panting as she tried to keep her pace. Her legs were trembling from the effort of running so far. She really needed to exercise more.

She took a turn, hoping that she would see someone. When she turned the corner, she slowed slightly, allowing the man to catch up to her. He grabbed her wrists just as she remembered the mace. Why hadn’t she thought to use it?

“Ahhh!!! No, No, NO!!! Someone, help!!!” she screamed, over and over again.

He pulled them into a nearby alley. There were other people in there. She was trembling. What would they do to her? Did she even want to know?

“Somebody help me! Please, somebody –” The man that was holding her covered her mouth with his hand and slammed her against the wall, hard, knocking the breath out of her. He held both of her wrists in the other hand.

“Now, now, we wouldn’t want anybody ruining our fun now would we?” Tears were starting to form in her eyes, both from fear and from the pain. She could hardly even feel her arms anymore, he held such a vice grip on them, and her back was pounding. She struggled to breath; his hand was not only covering her mouth, but her nose as well. She tried to kick him, but he just stepped out of the way, laughing.

Another man picked up her purse from where it had fallen. She hadn’t even realized she had dropped it. “Well, well, well,” he said, “looky here.” He was holding the mace. They all started laughing. What was so funny about mace? Or was it the fact that she had it and hadn’t used it that they found funny? The fact that she could have protected herself had she not been so frightened and therefore hadn’t thought clearly.

“Hey, what do you think you’re doing?!” shouted a husky voice at the opening of the alleyway. She tried to turn her head, but couldn’t. The man’s grip was too strong. She was starting to wonder if she had hit her head when he had slammed her against the wall. She was becoming dizzy, unfocused.

“And just who are you?” one of the men asked – she wasn’t sure which one. Her ears were ringing.

“Detective Kouga Wolf, Tokyo PD. And I suggest you hand the girl over.” She heard a metallic click. Was it a gun? Whose was it? Her mind was becoming so foggy. She couldn’t think. She must have hit her head; there was a stream of something wet traveling down the back of her neck. Why hadn’t she noticed it before that moment?

“Hey now, we don’t want no trouble,” she heard the man holding her say. At least, she thought it was him. The world was narrowing in on her, becoming a black tunnel.

Suddenly she was on the ground. He must have dropped her. She tried to crawl away. She knew she wouldn’t be able to stand – she was too dizzy. Her hands grabbed at the ground around her. It was getting hard for her to see.

“Hey, are you okay?” asked a worried voice above her. She assumed it was the cop. She just could make out his shape kneeling down next to her.

“Kouga, what are you? Stupid? Of course she’s not okay! She’s bleeding!” said a new voice, this one female.

“Ayame, what took you so long?”

“I was calling for back-up. Just in case. And, luckily for her, I called for an ambulance too.”

The voices kept talking above her, but they became muffled and she couldn’t tell what they were saying. The world was becoming so dark…