I Just Feel Hopeless

• I Just Feel Hopeless

My name's John and I'm 17-years old. I've been suffering from depression since I was about 11 or 12, but it's become really severe (suicidal thoughts) in the past year or so.

Here's why I'm depressed:

- I have a bad home life. I love my Mom to death, but it's a daily battle with her. She constantly bugs me about chores, contributing, etc. I just feel that anything I do is never good enough for her. My sister is a bitch. She sucks up to my Mom, and I have absolutely no respect for her. It sounds mean, but it's the truth. My Dad, deep down, is a good man but can come off as an ass hole. It's somewhat hard to talk with him, as I don't think he's very understanding, because he had a great childhood (popular, football star, in a band, etc.) The only person in my family who I think truly knows how I feel is my Uncle, but he lives about four or five hours away and is always traveling.

- Not many good friends. Don't get me wrong, I have a fair amount of friends, but only one good friend. And, as of late, he's been too busy with his girlfriend and never seems to want to hangout with me. I feel that I'll be without my only good friend in the future. Most of my other friends are just all into drugs and that kind of stuff. I've smoked weed and stuff, but they are absolutely in love with it. They just aren't the type of people that I could really have a serious conversation with.

- No girl friend. I'm so desperate to meet someone who will love me for me. Most girls I know just like guys because they have a six-pack or just other shallow reasons. And while I think that I'm a decent looking guy, I don't have a good body (not fat, though) and I won't be mistaken for being Brad Pitt. I haven't had sex or anything, and while I certainly want to experience that, I just want to experience love. If I could just meet a girl who I could talk about anything with, than I think that'd I'd be a much happier person.

- Nothing ever seems to go right. Seriously. I feel like I have the worst karma or something, even though I feel that I'm a good person. Sure, I've done bad things in the past that I regret, but I know horrible people and nothing bad ever seems to happen to them. From big goals I've had or to the littlest thing -- hardly anything seems to go right.

- I hate school. I've been recently kicked out for skipping too much. And while I'll likely have to repeat next year, I don't entirely regret it. I hated most of the kids there, most of the teachers, I can't pay attention (pretty sure I have ADD), and I simply don't care about half the things that I'm learning about. I feel that if I were a better student, my parents would be more proud of me, which would than make my home life a lot better.

There's more reasons as to why I'm depressed, but these are basically the main ones.

As I said before, I've become suicidal. I haven't attempted it yet, but some nights I just stay awake for hours just thinking about taking a rope and hanging myself. And as stupid as it may sound, I think the only reason I'm afraid of doing it is because of Hell. And to be honest, I'm not even sure I believe in Hell. If I just knew that I could begin a new life or go to a better place, there's a good chance I would have committed this act already. But I don't want my after-life to be worse than the time that I've spent alive. Yes, it may sound stupid to some of you, but it's how I feel.

In the past, though I was depressed, I thought that once I got out of this place, I could live on my own, have my dream job, meet a girl, have a lot of good friends. But, as of late, I feel that this may never happen. I don't know if I'll be able to do well enough in school to get a good job, and all of the girls I've met either didn't like me or things simply didn't work out. Why would things change? Once I realized all of this, that's when I became hopeless and somewhat suicidal.

Really, I don't even know why I'm posting this. I don't know if I want to talk to one of you or not. Maybe I just wanted to let my feelings out. I don't know. Maybe someone could tell me what I should do or change.

Anyways, thanks for reading this.
    • Re: I Just Feel Hopeless

JT. wrote:

My name's John and I'm 17-years old. I've been suffering from depression since I was about 11 or 12, but it's become really severe (suicidal thoughts) in the past year or so.

Here's why I'm depressed:

- I have a bad home life. I love my Mom to death, but it's a daily battle with her. She constantly bugs me about chores, contributing, etc. I just feel that anything I do is never good enough for her. My sister is a bitch. She sucks up to my Mom, and I have absolutely no respect for her. It sounds mean, but it's the truth. My Dad, deep down, is a good man but can come off as an ass hole. It's somewhat hard to talk with him, as I don't think he's very understanding, because he had a great childhood (popular, football star, in a band, etc.) The only person in my family who I think truly knows how I feel is my Uncle, but he lives about four or five hours away and is always traveling.

- Not many good friends. Don't get me wrong, I have a fair amount of friends, but only one good friend. And, as of late, he's been too busy with his girlfriend and never seems to want to hangout with me. I feel that I'll be without my only good friend in the future. Most of my other friends are just all into drugs and that kind of stuff. I've smoked weed and stuff, but they are absolutely in love with it. They just aren't the type of people that I could really have a serious conversation with.

- No girl friend. I'm so desperate to meet someone who will love me for me. Most girls I know just like guys because they have a six-pack or just other shallow reasons. And while I think that I'm a decent looking guy, I don't have a good body (not fat, though) and I won't be mistaken for being Brad Pitt. I haven't had sex or anything, and while I certainly want to experience that, I just want to experience love. If I could just meet a girl who I could talk about anything with, than I think that'd I'd be a much happier person.

- Nothing ever seems to go right. Seriously. I feel like I have the worst karma or something, even though I feel that I'm a good person. Sure, I've done bad things in the past that I regret, but I know horrible people and nothing bad ever seems to happen to them. From big goals I've had or to the littlest thing -- hardly anything seems to go right.

- I hate school. I've been recently kicked out for skipping too much. And while I'll likely have to repeat next year, I don't entirely regret it. I hated most of the kids there, most of the teachers, I can't pay attention (pretty sure I have ADD), and I simply don't care about half the things that I'm learning about. I feel that if I were a better student, my parents would be more proud of me, which would than make my home life a lot better.

There's more reasons as to why I'm depressed, but these are basically the main ones.

As I said before, I've become suicidal. I haven't attempted it yet, but some nights I just stay awake for hours just thinking about taking a rope and hanging myself. And as stupid as it may sound, I think the only reason I'm afraid of doing it is because of Hell. And to be honest, I'm not even sure I believe in Hell. If I just knew that I could begin a new life or go to a better place, there's a good chance I would have committed this act already. But I don't want my after-life to be worse than the time that I've spent alive. Yes, it may sound stupid to some of you, but it's how I feel.

In the past, though I was depressed, I thought that once I got out of this place, I could live on my own, have my dream job, meet a girl, have a lot of good friends. But, as of late, I feel that this may never happen. I don't know if I'll be able to do well enough in school to get a good job, and all of the girls I've met either didn't like me or things simply didn't work out. Why would things change? Once I realized all of this, that's when I became hopeless and somewhat suicidal.

Really, I don't even know why I'm posting this. I don't know if I want to talk to one of you or not. Maybe I just wanted to let my feelings out. I don't know. Maybe someone could tell me what I should do or change.

Anyways, thanks for reading this.

I'm not depressed so i can't understand your situation as far as that however i'm gonna' try give you the best response possible.

- Home life isn't always great, in most households there are chores to be done. That isn't always what you want to be doing but that's just the way it goes. Your parents are bound to annoy you, that's what parents do. And your sister is sucking up to your parents probably because she knows she'll get into less trouble and annoy the hell out of you all at the same time. Don't let it get to you, try and ignore it, she will get bored.

- You say your best friend is always occupied with his girl, try talking to him and explain you miss him and you need him through times like this. If that fails try spending more time with another friend who you feel you have a good connection with and can talk to.

- Maybe a girl could make you feel happier, do you have anyone in mind? If not why not try going to places where you could meet girls. I suggest calm serious types rather than loud obnoxious ones. At least like that they will know how to listen when you gotta' talk.

- Sometimes things don't work out how you want to, just get up and try again.

- I never liked school, i skipped so much they threw me out. Then i was home schooled and then i moved to France and now i work, which isn't the usual way of life here. Try finding a job?

Apart from that, keep your chin up and hopes high.

xx

First of all, from my experience, being in a relationship is not the key to being happy.

You need to learn to achieve happiness by yourself before you can truly be happy with another person and make that person happier in turn. A relationship is stressful, and it takes a lot work to make it work. Even the best relationship causes much stress to the two in it. And judging by how you feel now, a relationship would add to your depression.

Second, I do not think you sound stupid at all. I've battles with depression for a large part of my life, for all different reasons. I always had one good friend to help me through those times.

I know you hate hearing this, I know I did, but it's also a part of your age, and where you are in your life. Everything on your list could be magically fixed tomorrow, and there'd still be much inside of you wanting things to be different.

I don't know what to suggest, other than asking your parents about seeing a doctor. And talk to your friend about how you feel.

And although I know you don't know me, I'd love to get to know you, and I'm a great listener.

I agree with what Doughnut says..and...based on only the way you sound....i like your personality ;D so don't worry about the girl thing,you will find a girl, my advice, is get more active with the kids who accept everyone, theres a group out there, join it :D