Help.. GPA problem (high school)

• Help.. GPA problem (high school)

I'm a senior in high school and I just checked my GPA with my guidance counselor.
      I have never checked it before, so this is my first time.
      I ONLY HAVE A 2,9 GPA......
      Is that really bad?
      I feel like a retard
      I don't get it..when I was a sophmore my average was 88-90..but when I was a junior my average went down to 78-81
      Even my brother got 3,2 GPA. (In all honesty, I'm more intelligent than him.)
      Is there anything I can do to raise my score? Or is it too late? I'm already a senior.
      I heard they only care about your Sophmore and Junior year..

omg im so depressed lol..
    • Re: Help.. GPA problem (high school)

At this point, if you are planning on applying to a four-year college, there really isn't much you can do, as by the time you get any more grades you probably would have already been accepted or turned away by colleges.

Do you have an idea of what you'd like to do after high school? Community college may be a good choice for you, as when you graduate from there colleges pretty much only look at the CC grades, and don't care anymore about HS. Have you taken the SATs/ACTs yet?

Unless you intend to try go to some fancy well known college (which you probably already blew sense for anumber of the top well known colleges are probably looking for around a 3.5-4.0) then i wouldn't worry about it. Regardless don't stress over it. Stressing never helps. Just do your very best. I know ITT Techncial Institute doesn't give a crap about your High School GPA they give a performance test when you enroll. Its not all that hard really it merely checks if you can do basic math & reading skills. But should you choose to go there don't worry if your skills in algbra or reading aren't the top of the game.

Your senior grades (and freshman gradez too!) do count in your GPA, but most colleges accept incommung students around February, which does not give them enough time to use your grades from first semester of senior year in their decisions. If you do get amazing grades (all a's that semester then you can speak their decision if you are not accepted to the collect of your choice. A lot may depend on tour SAT or ACT score when deciding enrollment as well.

Having the GPA doesn't always mean everyrhing. My choice college acceppted mainly 2,8-3.2. I had a 3.25 and was still not accepted.

In Bulgaria,you can always bribe the head teacher (principal) and get a 4.00 diploma.This is not a problem.For example you have a GPA of 2.5 in the most prestigious public school (Pubilc schools are better in Bulgaria) .This does not satisfy you so you move to a private one.As you technically 'pay' the salary of the teachers,you can have the best grades.You learn only 1 year in this private high school,but your gpa became 4.00 .It is illegal ,but in this country everybody with money has his own law.

Well, your GPA is from your grades. A's give you 4.0, B's 3.0, C's 2.0, etc. All your grades are averaged and that gives you your GPA. So if you try a little harder in your classes and up that grade, you will raise your GPA. So lets say you have a C in Science, if you bump it up to a B, even a low B, your GPA will boost up.

In short, increase at least one grade by a letter, i.e. C to B, and your GPA should go up.
      I'm Proud to be an American.
      Pro-Choice Before Conception, Pro-Life After.
      A person cannot help what they Feel, only what they Do.
      You will never find proof of a god... because it's Faith

VioLeTTe wrote:

I'm a senior in high school and I just checked my GPA with my guidance counselor.
      I have never checked it before, so this is my first time.
      I ONLY HAVE A 2,9 GPA......
      Is that really bad?
      I feel like a retard
      I don't get it..when I was a sophmore my average was 88-90..but when I was a junior my average went down to 78-81
      Even my brother got 3,2 GPA. (In all honesty, I'm more intelligent than him.)
      Is there anything I can do to raise my score? Or is it too late? I'm already a senior.
      I heard they only care about your Sophmore and Junior year..

omg im so depressed lol..

Uhh.. wow.
      That's like what? A B average?
      Cmon, I "passed" freshman year with a 0.0 GPA, LOL.
      <-- No longer a student, oops. :o

I have a GPA of 6.93. But in Australia, or my university at least, we are ranked out of 8.00.
      I need to get a minimum of 7.00 to receive my scholarship. Blah. I have to do an extra politics class over summer. Otherwise I don't get $25 000. I hate politics.

Just thought I would share my annoyance about GPA's with you too.

Oh noooo I went to my guidance counselor again today (she's a bitch..she's mad when I asked her the 2nd time..lol) and checked.. This is my GPA:
      84.83% -------->rounded up = 85% ----->Converted = 3.0
      Top 278 out of 831 (Seniors)
      33% top on my class
      But eww..that's still low..
      My brother got 3.2... idk if he's lying but I've always been smarter then him..
      I was probably lazy during my junior year and fucked up my grades (and I got bad teachers too)

Btw my question for now is..
      When colleges say they require 3.0 GPA, does that mean above 3.0 -or- 3.0 OR above?
      Because if they only accept 3.0 gpa above..I'm doomed.. (It doesn't say 3.0 AND above..it just says 3.0 GPA)

Ok, let's put it this way: When a college states their minimum requirements, don't you think that there are going to be people applying for that school that go above those minimum requirements? Why accept someone with the minimums if there are people with maximums?

Stating that they "require a 3.0" generally seems, to me, to mean 3.0 or above. I don't know much about your other scores or anything else about your education, and college admittance is hardly done by GPA alone.

I mean, to be honest (although I feel quite rude saying this), if you are trying to justify how the minimum might be ok, you're probably not going to make it. Colleges are interested in gaining students that are going to give that school a good reputation. Why would they want to base that reputation off of mediocre or minimum students?

Not to put you down though, your other scores in tests might be better than the minimum, and if you were in clubs or other activities that can make up for your lower scores (the more time you spend doing other leadership things the more time that can take away from your studies) it could very well even out. There are lots of other options at your disposal as well. You could even try taking a year off and applying after re-taking some classes in summer school (and doing well in the rest of your classes senior year), or you could try going to a lesser college first and then transfering (transfering is generally MUCH easier than getting accepted to a choice college straight out of high school).

JennyColada wrote:

Ok, let's put it this way: When a college states their minimum requirements, don't you think that there are going to be people applying for that school that go above those minimum requirements? Why accept someone with the minimums if there are people with maximums?

Stating that they "require a 3.0" generally seems, to me, to mean 3.0 or above. I don't know much about your other scores or anything else about your education, and college admittance is hardly done by GPA alone.

I mean, to be honest (although I feel quite rude saying this), if you are trying to justify how the minimum might be ok, you're probably not going to make it. Colleges are interested in gaining students that are going to give that school a good reputation. Why would they want to base that reputation off of mediocre or minimum students?

Not to put you down though, your other scores in tests might be better than the minimum, and if you were in clubs or other activities that can make up for your lower scores (the more time you spend doing other leadership things the more time that can take away from your studies) it could very well even out. There are lots of other options at your disposal as well. You could even try taking a year off and applying after re-taking some classes in summer school (and doing well in the rest of your classes senior year), or you could try going to a lesser college first and then transfering (transfering is generally MUCH easier than getting accepted to a choice college straight out of high school).

I'm not looking for any fancy colleges.
      Hunter College is CUNY. It's not a private college.
      Look at its statistics:

1st-year students:

• 95% In-state students
      • 5% Out-of-state students
      • 3% Part-time students

• 66% Women
      • 34% Men

• 26% Asian/Pacific Islander
      • 10% Black/Non-Hispanic
      • 19% Hispanic
      • 38% White/Non-Hispanic
      • 7% Non-Resident Alien

• 10% had h.s. GPA of 3.75 and higher
      • 12% had h.s. GPA between 3.5 and 3.74
      • 11% had h.s. GPA between 3.25 and 3.49
      • 15% had h.s. GPA between 3.0 and 3.24
      • 32% had h.s. GPA between 2.5 and 2.99
      • 15% had h.s. GPA between 2.0 and 2.49
      • 5% had h.s. GPA between 1.0 and 1.99

This college doesn't have any GPA requirement..

And uhh about that 3 GPA requirement thingy.. I was just wondering because if I could, I wanna go to a private college. But yeah I guess I won't have enough credit to go there. Oh true they will also look at your SAT score right? Okay I have hope then.. I hope I can do good on my SAT =\

SAT and ACT (ACT tends to focus more on stuff you've learned in school, while SATs are a reasoning test that are based off of logic, not on what you remember - Typically males do better at ACTs and females at SATs) scores do matter. I would recommend taking both tests more than once, as your score may vary. If you have time, I would also recommend buying a practice-test book and doing some practice tests, or perhaps taking a class (although I personally did not seem to learn anything helpful from my SAT preparation class).

In all reality, you can rationalize this as much as you want, but it doesn't make a difference at the end of the day. As I mentioned previously, I was at the top of the levels for everything (SAT scores and GPA) for one of the universities I applied for, I had a bunch of extra-curricular stuff as well as leadership experience, and I STILL wasn't accepted. Even though statistic-wise you think you'd be accepted, so much relies on the others applying as well, since you are compared to them.

im a junior. i have a 2.8 gpa. I never felt the need to check my gpa with my guidance counselor but when i did i was shocked at what i saw. i expected to see somthing around a 3.2 because i take honors english, honors history, and even honors dance. i get pretty much a's and b's in all classes(even the standard ones)..except for algebra. i pretty much bomb the class every marking period. is there any possible way that i can make it to at least a 3.5 by senior year?
      pleaseeee help!:o

The post was edited 1 time, last by danceitoutx23 ().