Vegetarians!

• Vegetarians!

Fellow vegetarians, do any of you have any areas of your diet you particularly look after since you don't eat meat?

I have the worst eating habits ever (not really junk food and stuff, just really oddly placed meals or skipping them :p) and though I'm generally pretty healthy, I was just wondering what I should be looking out for :)
    • Re: Vegetarians!

My diet isn't that great tbh as i only have like one meal a day and things like that, i eat reasonably healthy though.
      I have to take iron tablets as i don't get enough iron in my body cos it mostly comes from meat.
      The only thing i miss really is haribo :(
      How long have you been veggie for?
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="4"]<3[/SIZE][/CENTER]

xRC wrote:

My diet isn't that great tbh as i only have like one meal a day and things like that, i eat reasonably healthy though.
      I have to take iron tablets as i don't get enough iron in my body cos it mostly comes from meat.
      The only thing i miss really is haribo :(
      How long have you been veggie for?

You can get good amounts of Iron from green leaf vegetables. If you don't eat them (:rolleyes:) fortified cereals are always a good option. Something like cheerios. Check the packaging of some cereals to see if they contain Iron. They can be cheap too if you get generic branded ones.
      You can get it from various peas too such as chick peas and tofu if you eat that.

Just some info for any vegetarians worried about their iron levels :)

There's not really any "special things" that I do. Like a meat-eater, if you eat a balanced diet (without the meat, of course) there will be no need for iron tablets and worry about becoming malnourished.

"Everything in moderation".

If anyone wants any advice on how to be a healthy vegetarian look at a healthy omnivourous diet and subtract the meat and add a few extra nuts, soya products and cereals (wheat, oats and rice). It's really not that hard.
      [SIZE=3]"If you visit the killing floor of a slaughter house, it will brand your soul for life." :( [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3]- Howard Lyman.[/SIZE]

For me being a vegetarian isn't really something that I "can't do"; it's something that I have to do.
      I've gotten to the point where I find the wrong to eat meat, and that's what I tell anybody that says they couldn't imagine not eating their steak or hamburgers.
      I don't really have any... To say 'tips' or anything, but I eat a lot of the 'fake meat'. Tofu... Not so much I really like beans and lentils, but I really enjoy tofurky and all the 'fake meats' (again)
      I do take vitamins, but nothing special.
      I feel so much healthier as a vegetarian, when I move out and go to University, I want to become vegan. But the 'rents are all hooked up on the fact that I'm "going through puberty and still growing". XD
      But until then I really LOVE milk, which is also a really easy way to get some nutrition.

Lauraxox

For me becoming a vegitarean was the easy part but getting alot of the people around me (besides my parents) to accept that because of my location, also not wanting to sound like i live in the middle of no where but in all honesty there is alot of hunting and meat eating so coming to family dinners and lets say friends house were very awkword not knowing to tell someone .. "hey i dont eat meat" i found that the worst part but once i got over that and everybody kinda relized hey this was something i wanted to do something i belived in most of the people i know around me support me. Anyway to keep up on vitamins and all sorts of goods like that i usealy try to eat alot of beans, granola, my mom tends to buy alot of "fake meat" too which im kinda a fan of but in my case probley one of the biggest reasons why i stopped eating meat was because i plainly just hated the taste and didnt like it ANYYYYYYYWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Long Story Short Meats Gross Im Never Going Back Ive been a Vegetarian since Feb =)

how can anybody be a vegetarian, i don't know.
      you people are missing out on cows ass and chicken breasts doesn't that sound delicious?

i was a vegetation once.. when i was 7 then i grew up and realized fuck it the animal is already bloody dead may as well put it in a nice home, like the stomach where its nice and warm.
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

I tried being a vegetarian for a while and my diet was pretty healthy, i'd spoke to my fitness/health instructor beforehand so my diet was really balanced and i was getting most of the vitamins and nutrients i needed. It's mainly just about replacing your meat with nuts, soya products and cereals.

Unfortunatley it didn't last as we went out for a meal and the temptation of a steak was too overwhelming, i can do it for a few months but i need my meat.
      [CENTER][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [/CENTER]

I'm also not a vegetarian ... don't wanna try it either but that's not what I'm posting here for :P

I think that maybe talking to your doctor or a nutritionist would help then that way you know what you're missing and what you can do to make up for it.

Oh yeah, but here's something that ... vegetarian or not you should do ... DON'T SKIP MEALS :P

It's pretty dur but it's not healthy either way if you aren't.
      [CENTER]6/19/06

&#24859;&#12375;&#12390;&#12427;&#65374;
      &#31169;&#12398;&#24651;&#20154;
      [/CENTER]

A lot of my friends skip out on a lot of protein. Many people make the mistake of thinking that if they just cut out meat that they are a "healthy vegetarian", but this is not the case. You do get quite a few nutrients from meats, and if you are no longer getting the meat then you need to take care to get those nutrients from another source (luckily,there are MANY non-animal items that carry the same benefits).

captain_kurenai wrote:

I'm also not a vegetarian ... don't wanna try it either but that's not what I'm posting here for :P

I think that maybe talking to your doctor or a nutritionist would help then that way you know what you're missing and what you can do to make up for it.

Oh yeah, but here's something that ... vegetarian or not you should do ... DON'T SKIP MEALS :P

It's pretty dur but it's not healthy either way if you aren't.

Some of my friends used to skip meals but they just ended up eating more later, witch is even worse.

Skipping meals is actually an ok process if you can cut it down to only one meal a day, no snacking in between. It is very hard to eat 2400 Calories (average recommended daily intake for a semi active teenage male) in one sitting. I lost 25 pounds in 3 months by just skipping breakfast and lunch every day on weekdays, eating a big meal at night, and eating normally on weekends. It may not work for everyone but for me it was the easiest way to lose weight.

I'm just curious, what made y'all vegetarians? Religion, health, sorry for the animals, what made you switch? I couldn't live a day without eating some amount of meat, it just tastes so damn good. Especially beef. Mmmmmmm.....

KrashKenney wrote:

Skipping meals is actually an ok process if you can cut it down to only one meal a day, no snacking in between. It is very hard to eat 2400 Calories (average recommended daily intake for a semi active teenage male) in one sitting. I lost 25 pounds in 3 months by just skipping breakfast and lunch every day on weekdays, eating a big meal at night, and eating normally on weekends. It may not work for everyone but for me it was the easiest way to lose weight.

I'm just curious, what made y'all vegetarians? Religion, health, sorry for the animals, what made you switch? I couldn't live a day without eating some amount of meat, it just tastes so damn good. Especially beef. Mmmmmmm.....

When I was smaller (12-13) I just kinda gave up on the weight thing and just started notthinking about not eating food and I actually lost weight:rolleyes:

I was a vegetarian for a few months and I lost my weight, that's also why I became a vegetarian, but after I had "finished" I just couldn't help myself, I LOVE ROASTED CHICKEN!!! :D

My best friend is a animal/nature/veggies loving person and she's great but she always wines when I eat meat,but well she drinks 6 cups of coffee in a day+chips (she also eats that quick 3in1 coffee powder, DRY, STREIGHT FROM THE PACK) so who's she to say what's right???;)