farm products :l

• farm products :l

i have seen videos of how animals are treated while in production, however, i just saw one that made me feel really bad, and made me feel kind of guilty for consuming those products :(
      while looking for random stuff i stumbled upon this:
      Prevent Animal Cruelty by Adopting a Vegetarian Diet | ChooseVeg.com
      and you can see it if you like, nevertheless, i warn you that it is a little too graphic :/
      i feel like i should become a vegetarian because of the animals, and partially just because health's sake....
      i know that one person not eating meat isnt anything compared to the billions, but i know that to change something, you have to change yourself first, so i would like to give it a try...

-i ask you guys:
      would you be willing to become a vegetarian, either for your health, the animals, or both?
      dont you find it disturbing to know that the bacon you are eating came from a pig slammed to dead?

-personal questions:
      if some of you are vegetarians already, what do you eat?
      dont you feel the need to eat meat once in a while?
      are dairy products and eggs part of the 'dont eat' list?
      and, do you eat fish/seafood?

honestly, i like meat a lot as i think many of you do, and do find the idea to not consuming it again rather impossible, however, i would like to think that it can be done, mainly because i dont like the thought that some living thing suffered until dead just to be served in my plate xS

hmmm, i dont know what else to say....

discuss?
      [SIZE=2]'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.'[/SIZE]
    • Re: farm products :l

i cant watch those things i always cry, if theirs one thing i cannot stand its animal cruelty. and yes if i knew the animal i was eating was tormented to death i wouldn't eat it. theirs been alot of this kind of stuff on the news actually and there has been a lot of rescues too so it really is getting alot of awareness, but than again how do we know what were eating or if the animals were even tortured? is there any way of really knowing this.
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

im vegan so that means no animal products at all.vegetarians can not eat any type of meat but they could still eat eggs and diary products. At the end of the day if you want to be vegetarian you have to be willing to give up meat for your morals and convictions. I don't get tempted any more but I get sad. like yesterday I found this chocolate mix and it said the powder contained milk. =/but then I found the nestleits up to you and good luck making the decision
      "Something to relieve the pressures of their everyday life, like having to tie their shoes. "

Hey

The lion king comment is a bit silly, since we're not lions. I've been veggie for a year now because I read a leaflet from Viva! which really opened my eyes to animal cruelty, I'm really glad to be veggie because I know animals aren't dying for me anymore! My new years resolution this year is to be vegan!

If you're unsure about going veggie, or need some help or advice, check out the vivaactivists website it's Viva!'s website and it's really good, I've ordered lots of leaflets from it to give out at school!

Hope your veggie quest goes well :) x

I watch animal cruelty videos all the time. Not because I like it, I hate it and I have very strong opinions on the matter.

I'm in the RSPCA Against Animal Cruelty group at school and last week we had a representative come in from the RSPCA to talk to us about how animals are kept in farms. Although I knew a lot of the stuff she was on about, I found it very interesting.

I have no respect for people who work in slaughterhouses, I don't care whether it's their job or not, they are soulless human beings.

I am not vegetarian because I feel it is natural for people to eat meat but I would seriously consider going vegetarian JUST because of these slaughterhouses. On the other hand, my friend is a vegetarian and he can't even look at one chicken that looks in pain.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I watched most of the video and found it odd. I don't know where those where taken but most slaughtering of pigs is done by electrocution directly through the brain. Most of the time that will render them unconscious most places have a second area where the room they go through is filled predominantly with Co2. After either or sometimes both the pigs will be drained of blood. In the video you see the pig carcase being put in tubs of a steaming liquid this is done to remove the hair from a pig.
      The cow section is alot more of a simpler slaughter process they use a "Captive bolt pistol"or electrocution. to knock out the cow so that letting can be performed. Smaller operations can use a normal gun and kill them that way.
      I don't understand what the point of showing the cows getting milked was for. Cattle used for milk purposes are normally treated very well as stress and poor diet reduces life span and output of milk. Chickens I have little knowledge of so I wont go into them.
      I do understand there are places that maltreat animals in the process and what not(I personally do not like feed lots). But that is what we have created I have no problem eating meat.

Dime_A_Whiskey wrote:

I don't understand what the point of showing the cows getting milked was for. Cattle used for milk purposes are normally treated very well as stress and poor diet reduces life span and output of milk.

I didn't watch the whole video so I don't know if this was on there, but dairy cows are pumped full of hormones that make them produce milk much faster and supposedly increases the quality of milk... This does not go well with the cow and usually the udders will touch the ground from them being so full.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Though I am not vegan neither vegetarian, I enjoy farm produce because farms are often supported by supermarkets who want "assured selected farm produce" to sell on to their customers. Such food, ie. meat, is organically produced without hormone additive, a way many farms are going now, since organic food tastes so much better that more customers are demanding, so the price of organic produce is coming down.

I will buy farm produce whenever I can. In Kalmnos there was many farms I could buy straight from, all of these being organically run. Also, I'm a regular customer of Waitrose, part of the John Lewis Partnership, and from this supermarket I enjoy a wide variety of fresh fruit and vegetables along with high quality meat.

Some prefer to be vegan/vegetarian for reasons of conscience, health, or others for religious reasons. I am respectful to any, as long as they respect mine. :)

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.

Although that video was pretty horrific, it doesn't represent the entire meat industry; one bad egg doesn't make the whole dozen tainted. The fact is that video is propaganda; the majority of slaughterhouses raise, treat, and kill their animals humanely, but that's a video that PETA doesn't want you to see.

"would you be willing to become a vegetarian, either for your health, the animals, or both?"
      No, humans are supposed to eat meat and this video isn't disgusting enough to make me want to change.
      "dont you find it disturbing to know that the bacon you are eating came from a pig slammed to dead?"
      I had bacon this morning actually, I know the pig wasn't "slammed to death." Even if it were I wouldn't be affected by that knowledge. If any other life form was in our place as the smartest creatures on earth, then they would be the ones putting us in slaughterhouses and we would be the pigs.

One more thing that I find horrible about these types of things is that there are people who spend all this effort helping dumb animals instead of helping other humans. PETA should change to PETH, People for the Ethical Treatment of Humans, and stop wasting money and time helping a fucking animal thats probably too stupid to know that they did anything. Lets all cry about the poor pigs and chickens in slaughterhouse instead of the HUMAN BEINGS who die of disease and starvation every day. I think people need to get priorities in order.

hmmm yeah, i was mortally bored when i made this.
      i know its really propaganda, and humans are supposed to eat meat, though not as much as we tend to eat it....
      and its true that many organizations lean more unto animals than helping humans.
      [SIZE=2]'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.'[/SIZE]

I wouldn't stop eating meat. People in PETA disgust me. With all the human suffering in the world, why would you focus on animals? There are better things to focus your time on that to protest chickens' right. How about the genocides going on, or starving nations, or natural disaster victims. Whatever it may be, people should come before animals.

And people weren't supposed to have a strictly vegetable diet, look at your teeth. Omnivore. Not herbivore.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ryno wrote:

I wouldn't stop eating meat. People in PETA disgust me. With all the human suffering in the world, why would you focus on animals? There are better things to focus your time on that to protest chickens' right. How about the genocides going on, or starving nations, or natural disaster victims. Whatever it may be, people should come before animals.

And people weren't supposed to have a strictly vegetable diet, look at your teeth. Omnivore. Not herbivore.

Why should personal feelings override species as a whole?

Why are people more important than other animals? Is it because we are more intelligent than other animals? Tell me, does intelligence determine the value of a life?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aannddyy wrote:

Why are people more important than other animals? Is it because we are more intelligent than other animals? Tell me, does intelligence determine the value of a life?

Why aren't humans more important that animals? So what if a chicken can't turn around, its good anyways. By that time its more or less brain dead and has lost its instincts. Humans suffering do just that, suffer. A human can server multiple purposes and better mankind. A chicken is a chicken.

And yes, intelligence determines the value of life. You can't tell me that you'd hold the life of a cow over that of a humans. If you do, please feel free to join them in the slaughterhouse.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ryno wrote:

Why aren't humans more important that animals? So what if a chicken can't turn around, its good anyways. By that time its more or less brain dead and has lost its instincts. Humans suffering do just that, suffer. A human can server multiple purposes and better mankind. A chicken is a chicken.

And yes, intelligence determines the value of life. You can't tell me that you'd hold the life of a cow over that of a humans. If you do, please feel free to join them in the slaughterhouse.

Humanity is no more superior than any other race, just because we can kill off other species and our own race doesn't mean our lives are valued more than other animals.

Answer this question, if intelligence determines the value of life, why do we let people with autism (Or other disorders) live? Lets send them to the slaughterhouse so we can eat them.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I decided not to watch that as i have seen many videos like such before and i just end up crying. I am glad i became vegetarian 5 years ago as my health improved immensly and i lost weight. Some animals do get badly treated in farms but as other people have said not all animals get treated like this so i don't think people should be swayed by videos like this if they don't truely believe they will be able to go without meat.
      I became one because meat actually disgusted me and i couldn't eat it as i hated it so much.
      I am not sure whether to support PETA though as i have seen websites about peta harming animals and threatning people's families and stuff like that but i don't know whether it's true so i just keep an open mind about the organisation.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="4"]<3[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Aannddyy wrote:

It's not a question of intelligence. Animals care more about themselves than us so why shouldn't we care about ourselves first?

doolie wrote:

It's not a question of intelligence. Animals care more about themselves than us so why shouldn't we care about ourselves first?

Because when we think of ourselves before all other animals then it has a much bigger effect... You want proof? Look at Earth.

By the way, according to ryno, it is a question about intelligence.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]