WOuld you raise your kid in a faith?

• Re: WOuld you raise your kid in a faith?

The little boy Lyra and I are legal guardians and carers of, cannot answer for himself. My having suffered Greek Orthodoxy would not therefore to encourage me to share the faith of which, though fundamentally Christian, is steeped in religious rite and rote, and to my mind is as far removed for 21st century living as our world is separated from Mars. However, Lyra and I we do believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, so we are encouraging our boy to read the bible with us, so that when he becomes older, might be able to make an informed decision of his own.

Our George has downs, and though is affectionate and can do many things an average boy of his (8 years) can do, he looks up to us for everything, so to deny him a faith would be wrong. Even if one believes in ones self, then that is satisfactory for those who are otherwise Agnostic or Atheist. Except Lyra and I take our parental responsibilities seriously, so it is to our utmost that we give our lovely lad a chance to follow Jesus while he is so young and exuberant.

One day, Lyra and I will want a child and when this becomes possible, both of us are in solid agreement that she/he follows us in the faith in which we believe. There are, however, certain people who disapprove of our lifestyle and have criticised us. My reply to them is first take the log out of their eye before making judgement on the splinter in ours.

Edited for spelling

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.

The post was edited 1 time, last by AccessDenied ().

No faith. They can choose when they're old enough if they want to go down that path, and I will accept that. But I'm not going to decide a religion for him/her, especially considering I don't follow any religion myself.
      [CENTER][SIZE=1][SIGPIC]http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=banksy10243ee2.jpg[/SIGPIC][/SIZE][SIZE=1]
      [SIZE=2]It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.[/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]

[/CENTER]

Fast Cash Guy wrote:

I would not raise my child in a faith, it is simply unfair as all religions have too many contradictions. I will let my child decide his path in life.

so would I.
      [COLOR="Sienna"]Reia-mi al nemuririi nimb/ Şi focul din privire,
      Şi pentru toate dă-mi în schimb/ O oră de iubire..
      [/COLOR]
      :angeldevil:

Fast Cash Guy wrote:

I would not raise my child in a faith, it is simply unfair as all religions have too many contradictions. I will let my child decide his path in life.

Ditto. I'd be happy if my child follows my faith though...
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]~-~-~Ashley M. Carnadie~-~-~
      My Tumblr
      My Nature Photo Blog[/SIZE]

[/CENTER]

I would bring my children up roman catholic as thats how i've been brought up.
      I would like my children to believe in something when they are growing up.
      For me, having my children believe in heaven would be really important and i think everyone needs something to believe in, even if it doesnt last forever.

My child either way is going to be raised in faith.I don't care if my husband doesn't belive in GOD,however our babies are going to.Like for example,my brother is Christian but his wife's family is Hindu and they have a little gurl togather.To be honest I haven't asked what he is going to do about the faith thing.I understand that maybe the child should make their on decision when older but till than they will have their faith. ~Toodles! =]

I would never raise my kids in a faith, nor would I allow my husband/boyfriend/whatever to. It's not good for their mental well-being. If they grow up and want to be religious, that's fine. But forcing them to believe it, brainwashing them their whole lives - that's irresponsible and cruel, really.

~Maggot
      [size=3]Oh! why is phrensy called a curse?
      I deem the sense of misery worse:
      Come, Madness, come!
      [/size]

I wouldn't bring a child up with a faith, but I'd let them know it's fine if they want to follow a religion as soon as they're old enough to decide themselves.

I don't think I would find it that easy to be with a very relgious partner, but if I did end up with someone like that I'd probably let them raise the kids in the religion as long as it's made clear to the kids that they have a choice.
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]