Party Planning

• Party Planning

Hello

I am hosting an after prom party in May 2009 near where I live.

I am inviting about 60 teenagers aged 15 - 16.

I am hiring out a hall, getting a bouncy castle, decorations and sofas! And ofcourse I am getting a live band.

However all this costs money.

So I first thought about charging my friends an entrance fee which I want to keep under £5.
      I have also been emailing companies asking for sponsorship for my party offering advertising in return. I am awaiting emails back from the few companies I contacted.

1) Have you ever hosted a party of this size? If yes, what was it like?
      2) Do you have any ideas for my party?
      3) Do you know of any UK companies who I should try emailing for sponsorship?
      4) Do you know of any other way of getting money for my party?
      5) Do you have any advice, questions or comments?
    • Re: Party Planning

asdf1 wrote:

A bouncy castle for 15 year olds? lol

Well, I was thinking "what if people get bored? what can i do to keep people entertained?"

So yeah, i have the live band who play for 30mins, and i have loud music (but i cant guarantee people will dance). i have sofas so people can relax and chat but i needed something for people to rele play with, keep them smiling, laughing.

So i decided a bouncy castle would be perfect. people can throw eachother around on it and i think its generally a fun thing to do. especially if its you and your mates :)

asdf1 wrote:

Well you can hire people to act as teens and dance, that will set the mood for the rest to dance.

Also getting some tvs and a couple of xboxs will definitely entertain people. Or maybe even watch a movie from those free online movie places

No I'm more thinking a "MTV Sweet 16" Party; but cheaper :)
      xbox's and tv's wouldnt be good. they would defo stop people dancing and getting up and about.

and i would hire people to dance, but its the after prom party. so just people from my school, my year. a select few (60ish) so i couldnt "pay" someone i dont know. but i COULD pay someone i do know; but thats unlikely and doesnt help bring costs down ¬¬

COK3CAD3T wrote:

I am awaiting emails back from the few companies I contacted. I suspect you will be waiting a very long time to get those emails:rolleyes:

1) Have you ever hosted a party of this size? If yes, what was it like? I've only been to house or bush parties, never been my house.
      2) Do you have any ideas for my party?Get something other than a bouncy castle, if possible a pool table would probably work well(you'd need a place that already has one and it needs to be free, not a coin game).
      3) Do you know of any UK companies who I should try emailing for sponsorship?No, and I doubt you'll get sponsorship for a small party like the one your planning.
      4) Do you know of any other way of getting money for my party? sell crack? honestly I got no ideas.
      5) Do you have any advice, questions or comments? If you want sponsorship you'll need to open the party to the public and promote the living fuck out of it cause an underage party for only 60 people isn't worth sponsorship to a company.

[SIZE=6]
      [/SIZE]

Yeah I suppose I won't get sponsorship.
      But its worth the try isn't it? Just send off a few emails, takes minutes :) And who knows; some company may just feel nice enough to give us a couple of hundred :D
      Ive been thinking about how I can make the party a sucsess; becuase I don't want people to not dance and get bored etc.
      So do I need to get a DJ? Or can I just play music through a sound system? Ive been looking at hiring disco lights; theres a REALLY nice (local) package for £179. It puts the price up even more but do you think it would make a huge differnce to the atmosphere?

COK3CAD3T wrote:

Yeah I suppose I won't get sponsorship.
      But its worth the try isn't it? Just send off a few emails, takes minutes :) And who knows; some company may just feel nice enough to give us a couple of hundred :D
      Ive been thinking about how I can make the party a sucsess; becuase I don't want people to not dance and get bored etc.
      So do I need to get a DJ? Or can I just play music through a sound system? Ive been looking at hiring disco lights; theres a REALLY nice (local) package for £179. It puts the price up even more but do you think it would make a huge differnce to the atmosphere?

I think a DJ would be a better investment than disco lights, in terms of setting an atmosphere, what's the atmosphere at the place you're renting (disco lights excluded)? It might better to have something for lighting other than just white lights if that's what the place has, but spending 180 is more than you need to to get a good lighting atmosphere going.
      [SIZE=6]
      [/SIZE]

In my country that is Greece, unless it's an event, nobody is expected to pay for a party. It’s just not on. Not socially acceptable. You are the host, therefore hire a marquee and foot the cost of having a local band do a three-hour set and at best, at least make an effort to provide food for your guests. As I did with the help of mummy, a kind neighbour and my partner Lyra, who is whiz at catering.

My Kalymnian friends, I’d asked them to bring wine or whatever they wanted to drink, but knowing some of them, they made some food to bring along and share out.

This was not a prom party but, my 16th birthday party, where over 100 of my school friends arrived to celebrate the occasion.

If you don’t mind my saying, but, unless you are a professional or someone whose business is profiting from prom parties and the like, you will be best remembered for putting on what your friends and theirs will remember to be The Party of the Decade. :)

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.

COK3CAD3T wrote:

I am leaving my school after the prom; going to a differnt one.

Do you think I shouldn't host the party now, and wait until next year when I'm at my new school so I can invite my new friends?

I honestly don't know. This would depend on how strong your friendship remains with the friends you made in the present school, if they will continue in friendship after you've left.

However, beginning a new school next year might well be difficult making new friends until they get to know you, and you, them. Maybe perhaps you could organise a small party in the summer of your next school, who knows?

But ... I can not help but smile knowing that if you indeed celebrated this time round with a stonking good prom party, then you will always be well remembered in never doing anything by half. ^^

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.

Right so here the plan at the moment:

I can hire out a small hall and playground (for primary school kids) for a very cheap price through my mums work :)
      I am then getting a live band in the hall and a big bouncy castle in the playground. Hopefully I can get a game of football going in the playground for some of the boys and yeah :)
      I don't have much money to get a DJ, so I was just going to upload a playlist to an ipod, get some speakers and leave it on in the hall with maybe some disco/mood lighting.
      I am inviting 43 people btw, but not everyone gets along. Like I am friends with a lot of differnt people; I just so want this to work.

1) Do you think people will pay £5 to get into my party?
      2) Do you think I am spending too much and putting too much effort into this party?
      3) Do you think I should be doing something differntly?