for all you guitar players out there....

• for all you guitar players out there....

not sure if this is the right place for this post but ill shoot anyway...
      for those of you who play or have played the guitar

when did you first pick it up, what was the first thing you learned and how long till you saw decent improvement

ive been at it for a month or so and im knee deep in metallicas "enter sandman".....and failing, but thankfully failing less every day to the opint that one day i may even suceed(*gasp*)

so what are your guitar-esque hopes for the future (or the past rather).....im curious
      [CENTER]If you cut a song and it doesnt bleed mercury, then its obviously not fucking metal enough
      [/CENTER]
    • Re: for all you guitar players out there....

Im 17, picked it up when i was around 13

First song i learned to play was Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit (looks hard in tablature view, but it is really simple)

Took around 4 months of constant playing to show real improvement.

Enter Sandman is really simple once you get the hang of it (when you learn that, learn Metallica - Whiplash, thats a nice fresh challenge)

I just enjoy playing my guitar, id love to one day be in a famous band (dont we all) but none of my friends play instuments. Also im not a very good songwriter :p

Which guitar do you have?

TacticalTurtle wrote:

Im 17, picked it up when i was around 13

First song i learned to play was Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit (looks hard in tablature view, but it is really simple)

Took around 4 months of constant playing to show real improvement.

Enter Sandman is really simple once you get the hang of it (when you learn that, learn Metallica - Whiplash, thats a nice fresh challenge)

I just enjoy playing my guitar, id love to one day be in a famous band (dont we all) but none of my friends play instuments. Also im not a very good songwriter :p

Which guitar do you have?

hehe, yeah, their isnt much to many nirvana songs , is there?

whiplash, eh?.....maybe

enter sandman itself isnt that hard, its just getting used to switching frets so fast is a bit regressive, and the solo scares me.................damn you kirk hammett

true wed all love a band ....but you can never find all the stuff you need to start one, a cruel irony i suppose, and you wouldnt need to be much of a songwriter*cough canibal corpse cough*

i picked up a black epiphone sg special from a friend who had fixed it up ......simple, but i like it, though i aspire to have my own kerry king custom v someday, cause i likes the look, lol
      [CENTER]If you cut a song and it doesnt bleed mercury, then its obviously not fucking metal enough
      [/CENTER]

i started at 12 playing a christmas song :D

i think that real improvement showed after i played for the first time guitar hero (yes.....that made me better because i understood what hammer-ons and pull-offs are and other stuff)

what i want is to play now perfectly Stairway to heaven, and learn hotel california unplugged version :D
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]Hold on to your kite =D[/SIZE][/CENTER]

well ive been playing for about 7 years i play guitar and bass but bass is my main instrument. my first song was metallica master of puppets it was pretty easy. i first saw improvement after about a month after learning the solo for MOP. Bass was my first instrument tho, and i picked it up fast, after a month i was playing get up and jump by RHCP. it takes time, just keep practicing and you will get better.

im in a metalcore band right now and a jazz band, keep it up and you will become better
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Daistheputridone wrote:

hehe, yeah, their isnt much to many nirvana songs , is there?

whiplash, eh?.....maybe

enter sandman itself isnt that hard, its just getting used to switching frets so fast is a bit regressive, and the solo scares me.................damn you kirk hammett

true wed all love a band ....but you can never find all the stuff you need to start one, a cruel irony i suppose, and you wouldnt need to be much of a songwriter*cough canibal corpse cough*

i picked up a black epiphone sg special from a friend who had fixed it up ......simple, but i like it, though i aspire to have my own kerry king custom v someday, cause i likes the look, lol

The good thing about solos is the fact that they are really repetitive. Look at Metallica - One, the first part of the vicious solo goes:

t19p15p12 ...repeated 8 times, then goes onto t20p15p12... repeated 8 times

Once you nail it, you need to string it together - thats the hard bit :D

I got a Dean Razorback Lefty, got it from my local music store for £300

I started playing when I was 12 but I was really not that interested in it. Then I started listening to Against Me! and it kind of inspired me. Now Guitar is my whole life pretty much :D I honestly can't remember the first song I learned to play. I play a lot of my own music and I think with each song I make the next one is always better.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TacticalTurtle wrote:

The good thing about solos is the fact that they are really repetitive. Look at Metallica - One, the first part of the vicious solo goes:

t19p15p12 ...repeated 8 times, then goes onto t20p15p12... repeated 8 times

Once you nail it, you need to string it together - thats the hard bit :D

I got a Dean Razorback Lefty, got it from my local music store for £300

ahhhh, damn you and your awesome razoback that i cant afford, lol

and uh, 80's thrash metal solos may be repetitive but nowadays......they can get pretty out there in terms of random
      [/CENTER]

jaco123 wrote:

well ive been playing for about 7 years i play guitar and bass but bass is my main instrument. my first song was metallica master of puppets it was pretty easy. i first saw improvement after about a month after learning the solo for MOP. Bass was my first instrument tho, and i picked it up fast, after a month i was playing get up and jump by RHCP. it takes time, just keep practicing and you will get better.

im in a metalcore band right now and a jazz band, keep it up and you will become better

hmmmm, i can imagine that ....metalcore with jazz technique
      i bet thats a cool sound

msater of puppets fan eh, join the club

and im kinda starting to wonder about improvement, ive barely picked up any noticeable improvement in a month and im only just beggining to stagger through the beggining of sandman..................to all those that say the guitar is easy, screw them, n o......no its not..............but it is addictive, isnt it:D
      [/CENTER]

hahha no im in a metalcore band and i have a separate jazz band

umm well if you get better you will find guitar easy, just practice alot and youll be sweep picking in no time. do you have a guitar teacher? because theory is a great thing to learn and a teacher can help you with that. I am a bass teacher and most of my students improve alot after a week of practice and work
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was 12 when I first learned to play bass and guitar. The first songs I ever learned to play on the guitar were; Enter Sandman, When I come Around, American Idiot, Smoke on the Water. You know, all the easy usual ones you first learn.

The first instrument I ever learned to play was the bass but I never owned any sort of instrument, so my brother used to borrow an acoustic guitar from his primary school, I used to use E A D G strings on that, so naturally I also taught myself to play guitar as well.

As for the future, I plan on forming a band with my best friend who also plays guitar and me playing bass. At the moment, my best friend and I are a two piece acoustic group.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jaco123 wrote:

hahha no im in a metalcore band and i have a separate jazz band

umm well if you get better you will find guitar easy, just practice alot and youll be sweep picking in no time. do you have a guitar teacher? because theory is a great thing to learn and a teacher can help you with that. I am a bass teacher and most of my students improve alot after a week of practice and work

no i meant that since you were playing both it must help to have an alternative musical approach when working with guitar pieces....obviously metal guitar would be odd in jazz pieces but a bit of jazz techniques could translate well in heavy metal, thats what i was suggesting

considering that originally i couldnt do anything and now i can remember tabs and play with relative ease(albeit not fast) i think im improving slightly every few weeks....besides its a heavy learning curve but once you take off , you never stop learning, right?hehe

it is a gradual thing, and no i dont have nor want a formal teacher.
      i jam with some good guitarists i know and ask for tips if i need but im not going to waste my money on someone who will take the fun out of an artform, y'know
      [/CENTER]

Aannddyy wrote:

I was 12 when I first learned to play bass and guitar. The first songs I ever learned to play on the guitar were; Enter Sandman, When I come Around, American Idiot, Smoke on the Water. You know, all the easy usual ones you first learn.

The first instrument I ever learned to play was the bass but I never owned any sort of instrument, so my brother used to borrow an acoustic guitar from his primary school, I used to use E A D G strings on that, so naturally I also taught myself to play guitar as well.

As for the future, I plan on forming a band with my best friend who also plays guitar and me playing bass. At the moment, my best friend and I are a two piece acoustic group.

good luck with your band then, its always something to provide amusment
      [/CENTER]

I only play little guitar, but my friend and his brother can play good guitar and drums respectively, we are going to start a band with me on vocals, and we are going to start off with some cool covers, including Metallica covers
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cinderella;1062833386 wrote:

:nikka: Yes, yes you did.

Morgan on TC wrote:

mo: like not a big playstation

Big Boss wrote:

I only play little guitar, but my friend and his brother can play good guitar and drums respectively, we are going to start a band with me on vocals, and we are going to start off with some cool covers, including Metallica covers

everyone loves metallica, it would seem....
      good luck with that
      [/CENTER]

jaco123 wrote:

teachers help alot, and they help you expand your musical knowledge and techniques. every teacher i had has been fun, its a matter of looking

i suppose im just an advocate of a "if you cant teach your self, then dont bother"kind of attitude towards myself

i see no enjoyment i things that i cant comprehend by my self

and besides i rather prfer my circle of guitarists as i get the FREE opnion of 3 or 4 people as compared to the 30$ opinion of 1 guy who may or may not understand that his way isnt necessary plausible in my case

but im difficult like that, id reccomend a teacher to anyone else but me, i suppose
      [/CENTER]

I picked the guitar up when I was 17.. I'm 18 now and the first song I learned to play was I think ode to joy or no, one of those easy songs.. lol I forget.. I'm still learning a lot but I got the majority of the normal chords down and still learning the bar chords (there a pain in the arse for me).

Cowpiepk wrote:

I picked the guitar up when I was 17.. I'm 18 now and the first song I learned to play was I think ode to joy or no, one of those easy songs.. lol I forget.. I'm still learning a lot but I got the majority of the normal chords down and still learning the bar chords (there a pain in the arse for me).

barre chords suck universally, but once youve got them down they never escape you again......its the actual music that i hate, by now i can only imagine the hell that writing a song is
      [/CENTER]