Just a Couple of Idiots::Jack Barakat

• Just a Couple of Idiots::Jack Barakat

I do not own the characters Jack Barakat or Alex Gaskarth. I wish I did, though. ;)

“Jack!” Riley called out to the boy standing five feet away. “Do you want to talk to May?” By now my heartbeat matched the beat of the song playing in the background: frantic. It was having a field day.

You all are probably slightly confused. Maybe I should explain a little bit. To start off, I’m Taylor May Gaskarth, but everybody just calls me May. I’m fourteen years old and a freshman at Dulaney high school. Alex Gaskarth is my newly found step brother and I’m pretty sure I’m in love with his best friend. Alex would freak, so it’s on the down low for a little bit. Shh.

Anyway, Jack Barakat has been texting me for a few months now, but he doesn’t know who I am. I know him, though; he’s been over to my step dad’s house a few times for Alex, but they all call me Taylor. Plus, I am extremely shy and usually go over to Riley’s when he’s over. Jack is totally oblivious that I, May, the girl he is texting, is Taylor Gaskarth, his best friend’s little step sister. Alex would probably murder him anyway, seeing has he is two years my freshman, a junior.

Last week, the Friday before Dulaney’s Valentine’s Day turnaround dance (girls ask guys), I was talking to Jack.

Flashback. “We've got it good, whether you like this town or not.”BigCityDreams came through the little speaker on my phone, indicating that I had a new text message.I retried my phone from the pocket of my favorite skinny jeansand flipped the electronic device open.New Message from JACK: ‘R u going 2 the dance on Sat?’

‘Yeah,’ I typed back. I loved school dances, even though no guy ever wanted to dance with me. I was perfectly fine dancing crazily with my friends.

‘With who?’ came across the screen of my RAZR.

‘No one. Just a bunch of friends.’ Like I said before, I’m very shy. I would not be able to ask a guy to the dance.

‘Okay, well I hope u have fun.’

‘Thanks. U 2.’

‘If I go.’ Wait, he wasn’t going to go?

‘Ur not gonna go?’

‘Idk if I am yet.’

‘You should. It’ll be fun. :-)’

‘R u going to dance with me?' My heart rate picked up at twice the speed. Does that mean he wants to dance with me?[I] I, May Gaskarth, had never kissed a boy and had never danced with a boy, was wanted by the most wanted boy at Dulaney.[/I]

‘If u want me 2, I will.’

‘I thought u might want someone to dance with here and there.’

‘That would be nice.’

‘I’ll be there, then. Look for me.’

‘I will.’ I closed my phone and sighed happily.

My heart was still beating a million miles a minute. I couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that a guy actually liked me! I went to bed with a smile on my face that night.

End Flashback.

Back to the scene at hand. Riley dragged me over to Jack, my heart thrumming loudly in my ears.

“Sure. I’d love to talk to May,” Jack replied. Riley looked over at me.

“Hey,” I said quietly. I wasn’t sure if he had heard me, but he did.

“Hey,” he said back. We stood there, Jack, Riley, and I, for a few seconds.

“Come on, guys, talk!” Riley commanded. We still didn’t say anything. It was extremely awkward. I hadn’t pegged Jack as a shy person, but apparently he was.

Riley then left saying she was going to go talk to Alex and left me with Jack. He still hadn’t said anything, so I just walked away. I felt like a complete idiot! My best friends came up to me, jumping up and down like jackhammers.

“I walked away from him!” I said sadly, hanging my head slightly. Raine whacked me on the shoulder. “Ow! What the heck?”

“Why’d you walk away from him?!” Annie demanded.

“He wasn’t saying anything!” I defended myself.

“You couldn’t say anything?!” Raine yelled.

“For the love of God! I already feel bad! Why don’t you just make me feel worse!”
      With that I walked.

<3 <3 <3

The night came to an end all too quickly. I had never danced with Jack. I hadn’t even spoken to him after I had walked away. He danced with his ex all night. Even if I had the courage to ask him, he was busy.

“Bye, Rae,” I called to my friend.

“See ya, May,” she said as she hugged me. I noticed Jack standing behind Rae when I hugged her. His dark brown hair was matted to his face with sweat and the sleeves of his yellow button up were rolled to his elbows. “You look really pretty tonight.”

“That’s practically an insult. She looks more like gorgeous,” a deep voice said from behind Rae.

I blushed. “See you Monday, May,” Rae said again as she walked to her car with a smile on her face.

“Thanks, Jack,” I said quietly.

“Can I talk to you for a second?” he asked.

“Yeah, if we can actually say something to each other,” I joked with a small laugh.

“Yeah, sorry about that, I was intimidated.” He was intimidated? By me?

“You were intimidated? By me?” I asked incredulously.

“Well, yeah, I mean, you’re gorgeous.” I blushed again. “I was afraid you wouldn’t like a guy like me.”

“Really? I thought you wouldn’t like a girl like me!”

“We’re idiots,” he said with a laugh and a gorgeous smile.

“Yes, we are,” I smiled.

“May?”

“Yes, Jack?”

“Will you be my girlfriend?”

“Yes,” I whispered. Then Jack pressed his lips softly to mine once.

<3 <3 <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by lifesabeeyotch: spelled a word wrong. ().