The Truth About BMI?

• The Truth About BMI?

So today in Gym class they took our weight. They'd taken it before and I was

nervous, like always. Turns out now that I'm seeming to get heavier, even

though I can't quite tell on the outside. I decided to calculate my Body Mass

Index (BMI) and the computer just told me that I am overweight. I've always

felt a bit insecure but I never considered myself actually overweight. Everyone

else tells me I'm crazy when I call myself fat. What I want to know is: What is

the deal with this BMI? Mine is 26.4 and the overweight category starts at 25.

I know I'm a wee bit chubby and if this could turn out to be a problem what

should I do? After all, the scale doesn't lie.

Thanks for reading!

-Lena
    • Re: The Truth About BMI?

Im a 37 on the BMI, and my bodyfat percentage is sub 10, and I have between a 6 to an 8 pack showing up. Im morbidly obese apparently :rolleyes:. BMI will usually be a bit more accurate on females, I hate to say, since females arent usually packing on lbs of muscle.

The only accurate bodyfat testing is through being submersed in a static electric water tank. Its actually not that uncommon to do so...

But at 5' 65" and 165, for all I know you could be extremely fit. My ex had an amazing boy at 5'11 and 174... She was not by any means buff, but she was athletic.
      Bodybuilding is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.
      For questions/comments, PM me.
      Yes I am 19. Im here to relate to all the crap I missed out on being the shy kid in high school.

vampireshellan92 wrote:

I used this funky scale which required me to stand on it barefoot and hold out my hands

while gripping some handle that said my weight. I don't think you have to worry about my

"muscles". lol Maybe I'm big-boned? :p Not unheard of right?

But like I said, I don't consider my self fat just...thick I guess lol.

I dont use a scale unless I have to. I use looks. Thats what you should use.
      Bodybuilding is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.
      For questions/comments, PM me.
      Yes I am 19. Im here to relate to all the crap I missed out on being the shy kid in high school.

Body Mass Index (BMI) is a calculation of the percent fat in the upper part of your body and lower part of your body. If the equipment you used did not give an exact percentage, and just said overweight, then it is a piece of shit. However, many things can make a BMI reader differ from one day to another, such as lack or too much water consumption and whether or not you had just worked out and your muscles are broken down and don't have protein yet to repair them.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=3]óÓÒò[/SIZE][SIZE=3] PROUD FURRY[/SIZE][SIZE=3] óÓÒò[/SIZE]