My writing - Idea for book

• My writing - Idea for book

The book idea, is actually a zombie kind of story. I don't know how to start it or how it's even going to go at all. I got inspired from writing a... letter sort of thing. Here it is.

The sound of a panic alarm fills the state as I write this letter. I am barricated in a house, I am in the basement. Being locked up in this place makes me go slowley insane. I miss the outside, the open air. Then as that daydream is shattered with the low grunts that I have been hearing for the past week, I remember why I'm here in the first place. There are thousands of... things out there wanting to eat me alive. They look to be dead - rotting flesh, torn ragged clothes, & a smell that incinerates the inside of my nose on the touch. I made an illustration of them here, (there will be an arrow pointing to the, not so good illustration.) It's not perfect... not even good but hopefully it get's the point across. I don't know how this happened... hold on, I just heard something in the upstairs room.

(In my mind, and hopefully in others, he walks up stairs and in chicken scratch writing he writes.) Ok I went upstairs & they have broken through. They got down stairs and there is only a matter of time before they get to me I will not make it out alive. Whoever finds this please tell som (the word "someone" will not be finished, showing that the Zombies had gotten to him. I will have blood splatter and drippings to add effect.)
    • Re: My writing - Idea for book

Yeah, sorry I didn't elaborate what I was posting for. I do want critisism and advice, but yeah I will be putting chapters in here also. I would like for someone to... give ideas on how to start the book, I never know how. Sorry for not making things clear :P

Spare wrote:

Yeah, sorry I didn't elaborate what I was posting for. I do want critisism and advice, but yeah I will be putting chapters in here also. I would like for someone to... give ideas on how to start the book, I never know how. Sorry for not making things clear :P

Books usually start with just a normal day, and then the actual plot develops. In this case, you might want to start in the middle though, and make some flash-backs to how the narrator got into that situation. That is how I would do it:)
      Orbital Drop Shock Troopers
      Halo 3: ODST
      September 22, 2009

For how it's going to go, you have to figure out what you want to accomplish with it. There are tons of zombie stories out there, but how will this one affect people more than an other? I find that the backbone of zombie movies and books isn't the gruesomeness of getting torn apart and eaten by a rabid human, but rather the fear of it actually happening to the main character. We need to really feel it ourselves when the min character is trying to escape certain death.

The reader needs to gain something out of experiencing the story with the protagonist. It can be the thrill of running from the zombies, or the heartbreak of losing someone to them, but there needs to be a core human emotion that gets affected. What emotions do you most passionately feel? Those are the ones you want to stimulate in your readers.

Faucet wrote:

For how it's going to go, you have to figure out what you want to accomplish with it. There are tons of zombie stories out there, but how will this one affect people more than an other? I find that the backbone of zombie movies and books isn't the gruesomeness of getting torn apart and eaten by a rabid human, but rather the fear of it actually happening to the main character. We need to really feel it ourselves when the min character is trying to escape certain death.

The reader needs to gain something out of experiencing the story with the protagonist. It can be the thrill of running from the zombies, or the heartbreak of losing someone to them, but there needs to be a core human emotion that gets affected. What emotions do you most passionately feel? Those are the ones you want to stimulate in your readers.

Thank you, I knew the idea of all of this. But when you explained it I had a clear picture of what I am going to do. Thank you for the dude that gave me advice on the beginning of the book. I will keep this thread updated with chapters.

I like this, very well writen.

If this is to be a success you really need to establish a fear of the Zombies through the main character. To help the reader connect and relate to the main character, seeing as zombies are pretty scary. I would advise making the main character female, as this makes it seem as if she is more vunerable than the other characters. Also make it dramatic by making sure there are a few close shaves and the character only just escapes. go for either a dramatic action filled end, or an emotional end.
      You could do both of these ends by using hearbreak as a motive to get revenge.

Hope this is helpful,
      Alex.

Any quetions PM me.