Languages at University

• Languages at University

Ya, so next year I am off to university! ( Holy **** I'm scared! :( )
      I'm going to my hometown university because it will cut on expenses (btw, for all you Europeans (Or the Germans for sure... I dunno about other European nations...) out there, in North America we have to pay for University in huge chunks, it's not part of our taxes, and it's f***ing expensive).

I will be taking mainly science/math courses because I'm pursuing a career in the biomedical field, but I need electives and I thought to myself - 'why not take a language course so that you're not an ignorant one-tongued North American?'. So ya, D: Considering I am going into biology I will probably benefit from taking some Latin courses, but I have always loved German (though I suck at it!) so I was considering that too, which I have been informed could be useful since Germany releases many useful research papers on Medicine - in German of course.

So I guess what I'm asking is... has anyone had any experience with language courses (particularly German/Latin, but not exclusively) at university? How challenging are they in the beginning courses? I'm pretty good at oral presentations, but I dunno how well I could do if I had to do them all in a foreign tongue :(

(Also, if you have experiences please mention where (nation/country) you took the course in because I know they will be different from country to country).
    • Re: Languages at University

My Russian course is easy, but there is a ton of work she gives us. You just have to stay on top of everything. A lot of it comes down to personal responsibility and self discipline, but if you enjoy what you are learning, then it's not too difficult to manage. :D
      [LEFT][CENTER][LEFT][SIZE=2]- caden[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT]
      [/LEFT]
      [/CENTER]
      [SIZE=2]
      [/SIZE]
      [CENTER][SIZE=2]
      [/SIZE]
      [LEFT]
      [/LEFT]
      [/CENTER]
      [/LEFT]

xc_diver12 wrote:

My Russian course is easy, but there is a ton of work she gives us. You just have to stay on top of everything. A lot of it comes down to personal responsibility and self discipline, but if you enjoy what you are learning, then it's not too difficult to manage. :D

A ton of work - like enough to cause conflict with the courses you are actually majoring in?

I personally don't feel like the work conflicts with my major (nursing). My prof typically gives 10 pages of hw in the workbook, and we are expected to read ahead for the next class. For me, I've found that I need to do a little bit of work for each class every day.
      [LEFT][CENTER][LEFT][SIZE=2]- caden[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT]
      [/LEFT]
      [/CENTER]
      [SIZE=2]
      [/SIZE]
      [CENTER][SIZE=2]
      [/SIZE]
      [LEFT]
      [/LEFT]
      [/CENTER]
      [/LEFT]