The Pope

• Re: The Pope

Newfoundking wrote:

Not as if he really serves any real purpose now, I don't care about his position....

I am a little upset that he was a member of Hitler's Young army, and I do believe he was also a member of the Nazis at one point.. Recently on a trip to israel, he refused to say the holocaust was bad (basically) and he wouldn't apologize for being a Nazi. I didn't read the whole story on it, but I read enough to get info out. What is your opinion, what should he do? Should he even be pope? My opinion is he should be allowed to be pope under one circumstance, he apologizes for being a nazi, and says the holocaust was bad.

Basically, he is the leader of Catholics, which is a lot of people, and for him to say, yeah, I was a nazi, and the holocaust, whatever... No I don't think that is right, not for a man in his position...

So what is your opinion
      Your post is a bit misleading.

"Following his fourteenth birthday in 1941, Ratzinger was enrolled in the Hitler Youth, as membership was required for all 14-year old German boys after December 1939, but was an unenthusiastic member and refused to attend meetings. His father was a bitter enemy of Nazism, believing it conflicted with the Catholic faith, according to biographer John L. Allen, Jr."
      Pope Benedict XVI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also,
      The New York Times > AP > International > New Pope Defied Nazis As Teen During WWII

As for the trip to Israel, his condemning of the Holocaust seemed pretty clear to me.

He said that the names of those who were murdered will be left “for good in the memory of the almighty God. Their suffering can never be denied, belittled or forgotten.”

They were the clear and unequivocal words that many Israelis had been hoping for.

Benedict XVI (82) said: “As we stand here in silence, their cry still echoes in our hearts. It is a cry against every act of injustice and violence. It is a perpetual reproach against the spilling of innocent blood.”
      Pope Benedict XVI at Jerusalem Holocaust Memorial in Israel - Bild.de

Newfoundking wrote:

Not as if he really serves any real purpose now, I don't care about his position....

I am a little upset that he was a member of Hitler's Young army, and I do believe he was also a member of the Nazis at one point.. Recently on a trip to israel, he refused to say the holocaust was bad (basically) and he wouldn't apologize for being a Nazi. I didn't read the whole story on it, but I read enough to get info out. What is your opinion, what should he do? Should he even be pope? My opinion is he should be allowed to be pope under one circumstance, he apologizes for being a nazi, and says the holocaust was bad.

Basically, he is the leader of Catholics, which is a lot of people, and for him to say, yeah, I was a nazi, and the holocaust, whatever... No I don't think that is right, not for a man in his position...

So what is your opinion

You really have no idea do you? Joining the Hitler Youth was forced on all children. You may believe that he was a Nazi if you like, but there are no facts to back you up. Regarding your pope halocaust opinion, I am pretty sure he made it clear that the holocaust was terrible, he even put flowers at auschwitz.

If you are not a Catholic you don't have a right to say who should be Pope.
      If you are a Catholic you should not have so little faith in our Pope...

And why the hell would the pope apologize for being a Nazi if he never claimed to be one?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think many people make the same assumptions as the OP did. I am not a fan of the pope or religion in general but I will never say anything bad about such things unless there were facts to support my arguments.

My uncle was in Mussolini's fascist youth group as well. That does not make my uncle a fascist. He was required to join at a young age. He tells stories of how they had lots of fun during their gatherings, singing, dancing and playing games. The youth group wasn't oppressive, it was to encourage growth and education.
      11/4/08 - National Epic Fail Day

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]

DamnImGood wrote:

He's pretty much the leader of the Catholic Church. He's also the guy who tells Africa not to use condoms.

Africa's Aids battle should be fought with abstinence not condoms, says the Pope...

It is almost universally agreed that aids will continue to spread in Africa at the same rate even if more Africans use condoms.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Africa's Aids battle should be fought with abstinence not condoms, says the Pope...

It is almost universally agreed that aids will continue to spread in Africa at the same rate even if more Africans use condoms.

I am not saying that the Pope is right in saying that, but if abstinence is used instead, the spread would be cut down by a great percentage.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DamnImGood wrote:

I don't see how it would spread at the same rate if a prevention method is put into place. Of course abstinence prevents STDs from being transmitted, but you can apply that logic to anywhere in the world. Why should Africa be forced not to use condoms because it has a high rate of infection? That logic makes no sense.

No one said Africa should be forced not to use condoms; simply, the use of condoms is not the answer to the complex situation.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

andwii wrote:

fuck the evil pope. Fuck Catholics... not being mean but there ass holes thinking there better than everyone else... like guess who Hitler!

Ya, because I feel that I am so much better than others because of my faith. Where do you come up with this nonsense?

How is the pope evil? Pope JP II was a great man who I do not think that you could find one bad thing about; our current pope Benedict XVI also has done nothing you can call him evil for... You may have issues with a religion and that's fine, but I don't understand how you can come on here and rant without any evidence.

Also, where the hell did the relationship to Hitler come in? He hated Catholicism.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]