Latin

• Okay, this is a long shot but I need an elective for my first semester at university and I can't decide on anything.
      I'm going into medicine so I was considering taking Latin in an attempt to make remembering certain medical terms easier to learn. It's a beginner's course so no worry about previous experience.
      Has anyone taken Latin before or is anyone in a medical course and believe that it would help?

PS. If I don't take Latin, I'll probably take beginner's German because I want an easy course to make the transition to my first semester in University easier D:
    • I would take Latin, the majority of words (especially those in a medical context) originate from Latin, so it would be very beneficial.

It may get slightly tedious, but it is worth it. I started Latin in Primary and continued it through Secondary school and it has been helping me throughout my education. It's a shame that Latin isn't taught as much anymore.

Anyway, go ahead and learn Latin!

All the best and good luck for the future!
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]
      Miss you all at Harrow (Best School EVER!)
      - See you in August! -

[/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]
    • Tieko wrote:

Okay, this is a long shot but I need an elective for my first semester at university and I can't decide on anything.
      I'm going into medicine so I was considering taking Latin in an attempt to make remembering certain medical terms easier to learn. It's a beginner's course so no worry about previous experience.
      Has anyone taken Latin before or is anyone in a medical course and believe that it would help?

PS. If I don't take Latin, I'll probably take beginner's German because I want an easy course to make the transition to my first semester in University easier D:

First off, you're wrong if you think most medical terms come from Latin. Most come from Greek, though indeed they were often Romanized. If it's a beginner's course, then you probably won't experience much profit of it concerning medical terms. However, Latin is a very interesting language (I've had it for six years at high school) and it can serve as a gateway to other Romance languages, ancient culture and law, if these interest you.

That being said, studying Latin is hard work. The language has a complex verb system and uses cases, though I assume that you won't read Tacitus, Cicero and Vergillius if it's a beginner's course, let alone any author. I would like to know if this course goes past the beginner's level, because if not, Latin has very little use at your age.

As for German, you shouldn't underestimate that language as well. Most people in my class find it quite a difficult language to express themselves in and we're Dutch speaking, which gives us quite a head start. If you're interested in Germany or Austria or Switzerland and German culture, though, don't hesitate and take it.