The "emo" label has got to go, who's with me?

• Re: The "emo" label has got to go, who's with me?

Metaltill60 wrote:

I get called emo. I have kinda long hair and i got alot of band tee's that are black... I hate ignorant kids... i'm just a metalhead.... and i don't listen to screamo.... i don't think thats even a genre of music!

Than stop presenting yourself like one.
      Listen if you don't wanna be called emo stop with all the black long hair crap. People will call you emo if you do that. Simple as that.
      [SIZE=4]

Jesus Christ;1624368 wrote:

Dresden, You want to prove that you are better than a non white person? Get the fuck out of your mom's basement, go outside, get a job and make your life worth something.
      [/SIZE]

i've got nothin against emos. the ones that are PRETENDING to be emos should disappear. emos are just.. well.. emotional. people think that "emo" is a trend that they could just follow. let's all just respect true emos. lets all ditch the emo pretenders. they say that they are going to "kill" themselves.. but they actually don't. POSERS.

Yeah musicdeity is right. There's all these teenagers pretending to be emos and they honestly ruin it for people who really feel that way. It's these stupid boys and girls who mope about thinking they're all depressed and suicidal, but they're just following a crowd. There are people out there who are genuinely depressed and so they feel the need to dress and act as an "emo," and I can understand that. But when people are pretending to be depressed and suicidal just so they can look like they're an emo and copy everyone else, you know they're just a sheep following the crowd. They're probably always going to be labelled, as most people are these days, but it's these pretenders who have spurred on a lot of the negative comments towards emos, and so they're given a bad name. Anyone who I've ever met that was "emo" was a prefectly nice person, just like anyone else, but they weren't following these trend of pretending that lots of teenagers are following.

Personally as a guy I would never even consider:

A) Talking about my feelings.
      B) Having a girly haircut
      C) Listening to depressing music
      D) Wanting to be skinny/underweight

I feel all those things are signs of weakness. I apologize if I offend your sensibilities by saying that, it's how I view percieve the world and the people in it, including myself. But I don't think anyone should be ashamed of who they are or what they do providing it's no one else business. If you're an emo and that's who you want to be why should you defend or be ashamed of it? Fuck what other people think, especially me. People sometimes try to insult me for being a bodybuilder, but I love what I do, so why should I care for such petty things?
      [CENTER][CENTER]Taken: Shibuya, Toto-Super Space.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      "o-shaberi Benki-kun" - "Talkative convenience container"
      Only the Japanese would give a personality to a toilet.
      [/CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

yeah, I dislike a lot of people, I'll admit. But I don't dislike somebody because they are "preps", "jocks", "emos", "geeks", or anything else. I dislike people if I have a problem with their morals and personality.

I'm not asking this just to be argumentative, but how well do you know these people you dislike so much? I'm going to guess not very well, because, well... who wants to be friends with people they dislike, right?

So how much of their morals and personality do you actually know, and how much of it do you assume?
      Love it when you call me Legs
      In the morning, buy me eggs

Bebop wrote:

I'm not asking this just to be argumentative, but how well do you know these people you dislike so much? I'm going to guess not very well, because, well... who wants to be friends with people they dislike, right?

So how much of their morals and personality do you actually know, and how much of it do you assume?

Well, when you spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 36 weeks with them you eventually get to know a lot about the people around you. You're right in that I don't go out of my way to hang out with people I don't like, but when you're around them you see how they act and the decisions they make, giving you a basic judgement of their (as I said) morals and personality.
      You have a good point though. A lot of people assume things. You can even see it everywhere in just this thread. I assume about others as well, but I try to see as much of who they are before I make a judgement.
      One of my favorite sayings:
      "assuming makes an ass out of u and me"
      it makes a lot sense :)

Chick_with_brains wrote:

Well, when you spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 36 weeks with them you eventually get to know a lot about the people around you. You're right in that I don't go out of my way to hang out with people I don't like, but when you're around them you see how they act and the decisions they make, giving you a basic judgement of their (as I said) morals and personality.
      You have a good point though. A lot of people assume things. You can even see it everywhere in just this thread. I assume about others as well, but I try to see as much of who they are before I make a judgement.
      One of my favorite sayings:
      "assuming makes an ass out of u and me"
      it makes a lot sense :)

Fair enough. I'm just trying to show you the other side, why labels exist, how useful they are, etc.

Essentially a label lets us know the most amount of information about a person with the least amount of effort and interaction. That being said, not all labels are accurate, but most are at least based in truth. Further, considering the aspect of truth, a positive or negative connotation is dependent on the qualities that the user of the term finds appealing (or not).

So two people can judge a person based on the same label (basically just a list of qualities) and think "Wow, what a douche." or "That guy sounds cool. I should hang out with him."

It's not the label itself that needs revision, but rather the people using them should do so with more discretion. But, you know what? Some people just suck. They're douches that like being mean-spirited. That's it. You can change a label all you want, but in the end, it won't change the fact that you've got assholes that like to insult other people.

But your heart's in the right place.
      Love it when you call me Legs
      In the morning, buy me eggs

I think that basically, someone has to be the
      alpha male and someone has to be the under-
      dog. Emos, due to their eccentric style and
      stereotyped emotional personalities are
      targetted as the underdog, which is why they
      complain so much that they get victimised -
      they do, but it's their own fault a lot of the
      time.
      I think that there is no point in the pop-
      ularity food chain. Seriously, everyone is
      human - why is it so hard to accept people
      for who they are?
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]My mind turns to metal, its gears are turning,[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]And my sanity withers and dies.[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]This world all around me, it's bitter and twisted;[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]Reality, madness or lies?[/SIZE][/LEFT]