The "emo" label has got to go, who's with me?

• Re: The "emo" label has got to go, who's with me?

You've got to remember that it's about the music, the scene and fashion is simply built around it.

Emo means emotional hardcore, and is thus a form of hardcore punk. Hardcore punk even it's it's heyday never received much attention at all and was much thicker, faster, heavier and dealt with with different subjects than the usual punk that most know of - Ramones, Pistols, Clash etc. What I'm saying is that emo has lost it's roots completely and I think it's largely used as a marketing term now.

I prefer post-hardcore music but some of that isn't connected to hardcore punk now either.

Here in Britain, a few years ago everything was either Indie or Emo. And don't even get me started on Indie because that has totally abandoned it's roots and meaning. I always found that most of the emo came from US and Canada though whereas most indie was from Britain. Now synth-pop, electronica and nu-rave acts are quickly gaining in popularity.

giggity wrote:

I fucking love them. All scene girls are bangin.

You're damn right. I luv 'em.

I know that emo is a musical term, but it seems that these days people are saying that emo is basically a darkly clothed cutter. (at least that's how it is in my school)
      And I think labels are crap, but everybody I know that has been labeled emo fits in perfectly with another stereotype, like prep, geek, etc.
      So why take an awesome type of music and turn it into a horrible insult, that's not even used correctly?

I don't really think stereotypes are as bad as people make them sound. Personally, I've been labeled my whole life and it never really did much to me. But, if the label hurts people I think you should definitely stop it.
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Fucking teens and their "no labels" bullshit.
      Fine. Don't label anything.
      Don't call sugar sugar. Don't say salt is salt. Because they both look the same and they hate labels too.

Njord swears you kids have nothing better to do. Just admit that you only pretend you hate being called emo even though you act/look emo regardless/on purpose. Shutup already.

Njord wrote:

Fucking teens and their "no labels" bullshit.
      Fine. Don't label anything.
      Don't call sugar sugar. Don't say salt is salt. Because they both look the same and they hate labels too.

Njord swears you kids have nothing better to do. Just admit that you only pretend you hate being called emo even though you act/look emo regardless/on purpose. Shutup already.

Jeeze... somebody has a strong opinion :)

but the difference is that I don't think sugar is hurt because it is called sugar.
      I don't have that big of a deal with your average everyday labels, just the ones that are hurtful or insulting.

I mean, if emo had been similarly treated to "prep" or "jock", then I would have no problem. But even for me as a reflex, if I hear something called emo I think that people are insulting it, so I try to defend it. If emo had been a good or normal thing I wouldn't feel the need to defend it, just "yeah, I guess" and move on with life.

positive labeling is good. :thumbsup:
      negative labeling is BADDD. :thumbdown:

(wow, this has had more responses than I thought it would get)

Chick_with_brains wrote:

Jeeze... somebody has a strong opinion :)

but the difference is that I don't think sugar is hurt because it is called sugar.
      I don't have that big of a deal with your average everyday labels, just the ones that are hurtful or insulting.

I mean, if emo had been similarly treated to "prep" or "jock", then I would have no problem. But even for me as a reflex, if I hear something called emo I think that people are insulting it, so I try to defend it. If emo had been a good or normal thing I wouldn't feel the need to defend it, just "yeah, I guess" and move on with life.

positive labeling is good. :thumbsup:
      negative labeling is BADDD. :thumbdown:

(wow, this has had more responses than I thought it would get)

I use "prep" and "jock" the same way I would use "emo," and it's almost never positive. People get offended by those labels too, though not as often. But they've been around longer, and people are desensitized to them. They aren't insults per se, rather just common stereotypes.

I think if you were to take a group of people that seem to fit the prep stereotype like a glove and really examined their lives, at least half of them would have more decency than you'd expect. Not all of them are rich, snobby, or whatever else. Same with Jocks. Not all of them are braindead, in-the-closet morons who take their failure to meet daddy's expectations out on wimpy nerdy kids. Some are not only intelligent, but also nice people.

Emo is the same. Labels by the fact of their existence are both positive and negative. Why? Because the label takes into account all of the positive and negative aspects of the group it labels. The label takes the easily identifiable characteristics of a group of people and uses a term to encompass those characteristics and allows people to have an idea of what that person is like without having to hear their life's story. Is it accurate? Rarely. People are complex. But having a simple picture to work with makes it easier for us to digest.
      Love it when you call me Legs
      In the morning, buy me eggs

All the emo kids I know wear the label with pride.
      They dress, act, and listen to what they listen to because they like it.
      If they are branded emo then they wear it. It is who they are. They choose to do it.

If they want to change they will.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Australian | 20 | University Student | Epic
      [LEFT]
      (818): dude you made out with his girlfriend and stole his credit card to buy more drinks.
      (626):
      well when you put it like that, I sound like a terrible person.

[/LEFT]
      [/CENTER]

I guess that my school is just different then.
      Don't get me wrong, some people look like that on purpose, act like that, and want to be that.
      But there are a lot of people I know who are called emo because maybe they sit by themselves during lunch, or they wear black shirts for a week, or maybe even if they have heavy eyeliner.
      When people at my school call you emo, they (usually) are calling you a depressed loner who doesn't want to live. People will spread it around the school that they saw "scars" on your arm, or they heard you tried to kill yourself the night before, and it would be very untrue. Then you hear people telling them that they should just go kill themselves because the world needs less emos like them.
      This has happened at my school more than once, and THAT is the behavior I think needs to stop. Let the "emo movement" keep their look. I personally prefer scene, and I think a lot of people call scene emo. But the cruelty surrounding emo should stop.

Chick_with_brains wrote:

I guess that my school is just different then.
      Don't get me wrong, some people look like that on purpose, act like that, and want to be that.
      But there are a lot of people I know who are called emo because maybe they sit by themselves during lunch, or they wear black shirts for a week, or maybe even if they have heavy eyeliner.
      When people at my school call you emo, they (usually) are calling you a depressed loner who doesn't want to live. People will spread it around the school that they saw "scars" on your arm, or they heard you tried to kill yourself the night before, and it would be very untrue. Then you hear people telling them that they should just go kill themselves because the world needs less emos like them.
      This has happened at my school more than once, and THAT is the behavior I think needs to stop.

I definitely agree, this is a behaviour that shouldn't happen, but truth be told, this kind of stuff happened long before the emo thing came along. It's just how teenagers act. It happen more in some places than others, and it's a despicable act, but it's not gonna stop any time soon.

Let the "emo movement" keep their look. I personally prefer scene, and I think a lot of people call scene emo. But the cruelty surrounding emo should stop.

Yeah, they do, but I think it's just splitting hairs. In my eyes, the two are similar enough that the terms are interchangeable.
      Love it when you call me Legs
      In the morning, buy me eggs

Emos are awesome!
      It's not a label, it's a style. Well technically it started off as a kind of music that branched off from punk. It's only a style, maybe you could go as far as calling it a way of living with the extent that some take it to. I'm emo and proud! It's not a label or a title, it's a way of life that all emos should stand by and not back down to because it's their choice, and to be fair, not all emos are what they are stereotyped as. They're not all sad llittle emo kids who cut themselves. I've seen more smiles and happiness in emos than I have in half of the "normal" people. Emo stands for emotional - and sadness isn't the only emotion. We can be HAPPYYYYYYY!!!! So yeah. I stand for the emo nation! Go emos! WOO!

flygirl382 wrote:

I don't know if it's the label that is necessarily the "problem". I think it's more of the negative stigma people tend to associate to emos. If people changed their view on emos then it would be much better.

that's pretty much exactly my point.
      "emo" is fine. the negative opinion of them is what needs to stop.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

[btw I think it's strange that I got neg repped for being 'against emos' when what I've been trying to do is get the point across that negativity against them is bad. illogical much? :confused:]

"emo" is fine. the negative opinion of them is what needs to stop.
      Bullshit, emo.
      You're not going to sit here and say, "OMG PEEPS CANT BE THINKIN NEGGATIV OF EMOS" when you think negative of other people as well. And before anyone throws that, "OMG I <3 EVRY1" schtick, you don't. You probably don't like Njord exposing you for the pseudo-intellectuals you are. Get a life already. If you're an emo, or look like one(LOL), be prepared to accept the consequences of the stigma it carries, which is everyone thinks you're whiney douchebag, and this thread alone proves that.
    • Re: The &quot;emo&quot; label has got to go, who's with me?

Njord wrote:

Bullshit, emo.
      You're not going to sit here and say, "OMG PEEPS CANT BE THINKIN NEGGATIV OF EMOS" when you think negative of other people as well. And before anyone throws that, "OMG I <3 EVRY1" schtick, you don't. You probably don't like Njord exposing you for the pseudo-intellectuals you are. Get a life already. If you're an emo, or look like one(LOL), be prepared to accept the consequences of the stigma it carries, which is everyone thinks you're whiney douchebag, and this thread alone proves that.

Fine. Screw this.
      I'll make you happy.

*prepares to act out a short, cheesy confession scene*
      "I AM A SAD EMO DEFENDING MYSELF AND OTHERS! I hate happy people, so I am being two faced. Oh, if only people like you couldn't see through my false, good intentioned exterior! How ashamed I now feel for stating my opinion.:cries:"
      *ends scene*
      was I convincing? :rolleyes:

yeah, I dislike a lot of people, I'll admit. But I don't dislike somebody because they are "preps", "jocks", "emos", "geeks", or anything else. I dislike people if I have a problem with their morals and personality.
      Some people probably don't like me because I am loud, opinionated, sarcastic, and sometimes mean. Not because I've been labeled as a "band geek" or "strange girl".

Is there any chance that you even slightly understand what I'm saying? Or are you just going to tell me I'm full of shit and need a life or something ridiculous like that again?:)
    • Re: The &quot;emo&quot; label has got to go, who's with me?

I get called emo. I have kinda long hair and i got alot of band tee's that are black... I hate ignorant kids... i'm just a metalhead.... and i don't listen to screamo.... i don't think thats even a genre of music!
      "so, if you want to solve a real mystery, go ahead and figure out who's taking my NY Times every Sunday, or, better yet, how about why anybody on the planet actually thinks Dane Cook is funny" ~~~~ Dr.Cox