The "emo" label has got to go, who's with me?

• The "emo" label has got to go, who's with me?

What do you think of emo? 52
        It's just a stupid label that should disappear (19) 37%
        It's a legit kind of person and should stick around (15) 29%
        Emos aren't cool and deserve to be labeled (7) 13%
        No opinion (11) 21%
      I just want to know what you guys think of all of this "emo kid" crap.
      I think that it's a label which people put on others to separate themselves.
      It always seems to end in some sort of argument or insult feud.

so tell me what you think.
    • Re: The "emo" label has got to go, who's with me?

I dislike people who try to hard to be "emo", as well as the people who just call everyone "emo" just because of some random shit like a hairstyle or something.

Tbh, idk how that term turn into some label, because afaik, it was a genre of music that pretty much ended quite a long time ago.

I think that emo is just another way for people to describe a certain group of kida or teens. Obviously theres other names for groups like jocks, preps, and similar to emo's scenes.

I think the main problem is that adults do consider the so called "emo" kids do be a "dangerous" "evil" kind of way. Even though, people in this "group" have many charactoristics as people whom are said to be in other groups.

I think that you are right when you say we should drop these so called "labels" on people. It can ruin friendships, and put certain people into different friend groups. The problem is that we cannot fully chnage how people view certain groups. no matter how much we try. The important thing is to be yourself.

If people who call themselves "emo want to be that, then let them go ahead it is their choice. Just do not critisize them, everybody goes through different stages of life at different times in life, so just let things be the way they are.

The dumb thing is that it all started with that genre of music, and if you listened to that dark, punk stuff, you were considered to be emo, and that just changed some kids state of mind. I find that really irritating.

The post was edited 1 time, last by mjdm ().

Oh I frigging hate it.
      Like, heres something you guys probably didn't know, Paramore isn't my fav. band, its in fact Hawthorne Heights.
      And just because of that I've been labeled as "emo".
      Like PanicMayRise said, I hate it when people try to use the term for negativity, OR to make they're own reputations better.
      Like, I hate it when people have the word "emo" in they're aim or myspace URL.
      [SIZE=2]For if we are not within ourselves; We are without.
      -Chris Crocker

[/SIZE]

i only label kids emo if they cut themselves to fit in or brag about it, not because of music or hairstyles
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [COLOR="Red"]Don’t pollute the planet. It’s where I keep all my junk.[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]You say tomato, I say Lycopersicum Esculentum.[/COLOR]I GIVE REP TO PEOPLE WHO TELL ME THINGS ABOUT [COLOR="Red"]AVTOMAT KALASHNIKOVAS[/COLOR]

I definitely agree with you guys.
      It's either used to make people look bad or it's them trying to be cool.
      I mean, what ever happened to being labeled normal?
      Just because you wear dark clothes and like certain music doesn't make you abnormal.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Oh, and people who cut is a totally different story.
      emo is music, not cutting.

If you think aboutit tho...if you wear Hollister clothes or brands like that as well people call you a prep. So basically these labels can go all around the table.

Hawthorne Heights aren't really emo..they scream a little but ea they sound more post hardcore. They're lyrics aren't really "emo" either. not like My Chemical Romance.

Chick_with_brains wrote:

I definitely agree with you guys.
      It's either used to make people look bad or it's them trying to be cool.
      I mean, what ever happened to being labeled normal?
      Just because you wear dark clothes and like certain music doesn't make you abnormal.

In this day in age...being normal just isn't possible. there is all these stupid rules, and groups. Normal just isn't applicable anymore :/.

Idk, some people are misled that you have to cut yourself to be emo. I mean if you already are willing to do that, then you're not emo, you're just fucking delusional.

Biggest mistake people make is to associate emo with depression and sadness. Emotional, doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be the sad emotion. Yeah, there are real emo bands out there who have sad lyrics, but it doesn't have to mean that you have to feel sad when you listen to them, or take them figuratively.

One of my favorite emo bands is The Promise Ring. They have some sad sounding songs, both lyrically and musically, but I don't listen to them because i'm sad or depressed or anything really. I just like how emo sounds because of the clean guitars and heartfelt lyrics.

People just made up this completely inaccurate meaning of "emo", and they confused people with it. Flippy long bangs, eyeliner, girl jeans, whateverthefuck, never really properly fits with the true meaning of the word.

But whatever right? To each his own.

I used to look like a stereotypical emo kid, but i've grown up and cut my hair and shit.

giggity wrote:

But...how will I label hot emo chicks? Lets face it. Emo chicks are hot. If I can't call them emo, what do I call them?

scene. ;)

No one is really "emo" anymore. No one wears all black or whatever. That's more goth than emo. Lately, "emo" chicks wear bright colors and sketchy hair. Those are sceenies. I love them.

Exactly. You've "GROWN UP" keyword there. Like I said before it is just a stage in life that a lot of people go through and sadley there's that dumb label being put on it. I've heard of The Promise Ring,, my friend listens to them, she really likes them too. Never listened to them much yet myself though.

Yeah. I think it's pretty much safe to say that you... kind of have to grow up after you graduate highschool. It's okay to look like a weirdo when you're in highschool. But as you grow older, I think you gotta think about looking more presentable.

I don't dress like a normal person, like a man, in fact, I dress like a boy. But still, it's still quite an improvement from before.

CashMoney wrote:

I think that you're an emo kid that's annoyed of being called an emo.

lol... that seriously made me laugh.
      I have been called "emo" once in my life, and that was two years ago. :)
      I'm more classified as a "smart one"/"band geek"/"weird girl".
      What I'm sick of is actually ALL labels, but since I have friends who are often called "emos" and think it's the most... trouble-making... of all labels I wanted to get my opinion out.
      hahaha... me... "emo"... hahahahaha.... :D